Army chief of staff meets with Chinese counterpart in Beijing
By Army Chief of Staff Public AffairsAugust 19, 2016
BEIJING -- Gen. Mark A. Milley, chief of staff of the U.S. Army, met with his Chinese counterpart Gen. Li Zuocheng on Tuesday, Aug. 16, at the Bayi building in China's capital.
"On behalf of the entire American Army and my delegation, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I look forward to the visit. Congratulations again on being selected as commander of the [People's Liberation Army]," said Gen. Milley.During the nearly two-hour meeting, Gen. Milley expressed the U.S. intent to maintain open channels of communications with the PLA to reduce the risk of crisis or miscalculation and candidly address differences. Gen. Milley also reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to adhere to international rules and standards and encouraged the Chinese to do the same as a way of reducing regional tensions.
He told his counterpart that the U.S.-Republic of Korea alliance decision to deploy a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system is a defensive measure to protect South Koreans and Americans from the North Korean ballistic missile threat, not a threat in any way to China.
Gen. Milley also discussed ways to deepen practical cooperation between the U.S. Army and the PLA in areas like humanitarian assistance and disaster response.
- July 10, 202082nd Airborne Division Welcomes New Leaders in Fort Bragg Ceremony
- July 10, 2020Fort Gordon competition brings out ‘best of the best’
- July 10, 2020The road ahead for Fort Jackson
- July 10, 2020Post reminded to remain vigilant
- July 9, 2020Pacific Ocean Division holds Change of Command & Responsibility Ceremony
- July 9, 2020Rampy invested as 62nd Adjutant General of the Army
- July 8, 2020Brig. Gen. Mark A. Holler
- July 8, 202061st Army Adjutant General turns over reins of TAG responsibility to successor, retires
- July 3, 2020Corps to Host Virtual Meeting on Youghiogheny River Lake Master Plan Revision
- July 2, 2020Walker pins on third star, becomes AMC deputy commander
- July 2, 2020Why I Serve: Maj. Gen. Daniel Walrath
- July 2, 2020The ‘crown jewel’ of the United States Army changes command
- July 1, 2020A 4th of July message from Maj. Gen Laura A. Potter
- June 29, 2020Soldier leads despite language barrier