Army chief of staff meets with Chinese counterpart in Beijing
By Army Chief of Staff Public AffairsAugust 19, 2016
BEIJING -- Gen. Mark A. Milley, chief of staff of the U.S. Army, met with his Chinese counterpart Gen. Li Zuocheng on Tuesday, Aug. 16, at the Bayi building in China's capital.
"On behalf of the entire American Army and my delegation, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I look forward to the visit. Congratulations again on being selected as commander of the [People's Liberation Army]," said Gen. Milley.During the nearly two-hour meeting, Gen. Milley expressed the U.S. intent to maintain open channels of communications with the PLA to reduce the risk of crisis or miscalculation and candidly address differences. Gen. Milley also reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to adhere to international rules and standards and encouraged the Chinese to do the same as a way of reducing regional tensions.
He told his counterpart that the U.S.-Republic of Korea alliance decision to deploy a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system is a defensive measure to protect South Koreans and Americans from the North Korean ballistic missile threat, not a threat in any way to China.
Gen. Milley also discussed ways to deepen practical cooperation between the U.S. Army and the PLA in areas like humanitarian assistance and disaster response.
- May 22, 2020NETCOM leaders share Memorial Day safety message
- May 20, 2020NCO, Soldier of the Year to represent 3ID
- May 20, 2020NGB chief promotes first Guard director of space operations
- May 20, 2020Plans in place to safely welcome Class of 2020 back to West Point
- May 19, 2020Garrison Commanders are the center of gravity in the fight against COVID-19
- May 19, 2020Picatinny welcomes new Commanding General, Brig. Gen. Vincent F. Malone II
- May 18, 2020Picatinny Arsenal welcomes Brig. Gen. Francis F. Malone II, says goodbye to Brig. Gen. Abramson
- May 18, 2020Army general to co-lead Operation Warp Speed for COVID-19 vaccine
- May 18, 2020Former Picatinny Arsenal commander reflects on sweeping changes amid drive for Army modernization
- May 15, 2020Jackson leaders speak about 'steady state' return
- May 15, 2020CYS to reopen to mission essential personnel in June
- May 11, 2020Promotion, farewell ceremony honors deputy commander
- May 11, 2020Brig. Gen. James Bienlien