U.S. Army Europe NCOs win leadership award
By Office of the Chief of Public AffairsJune 7, 2016
HEIDELBERG, Germany-- Two U.S. Army Europe noncommissioned officers have been selected by the Association of the United States Army as winners of this year's Strickland Educational Leadership Award (SELA).
1st Sgt. John Gutierrez, 43, of Houston, is the first sergeant of Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 9th Engineer Battalion, in Schweinfurt, Germany. Gutierrez is currently deployed to Iraq with the 172nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team.
Sgt. 1st Class Lumanai Snow, 32, of Pago Pago, American Samoa, served as the personnel NCO-in-charge of the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment's Regimental Support Squadron, in Vilseck. She is currently en route to her new duty station in Hawaii.
Guiterrez and Snow are two of the three NCOs selected for the award from candidates Army wide.
AUSA plans to present the awards during the organization's annual conference in Washington, D.C. in October.
The SELA is awarded each year to NCOs who exemplify the Army's vision of shaping future leaders through education and mentorship, said Command Sgt. Major (Ret.) Jimmie Spencer, AUSA Director of NCO and Support Programs.
The Larry Strickland Educational Leadership Award honors the memory of Sgt. Maj. Larry L. Strickland, a victim of the Sept. 11th terrorist attack on the Pentagon. Strickland had served as the sergeant major for the Army's office of the deputy chief of staff for personnel.
For more information on the program, click this link:
- July 6, 2020Army adapts NCO education in response to pandemic
- July 6, 2020Wiesbaden ACS recognizes volunteers for 60,241 hours of service
- July 1, 2020U.S. Army Europe tests asymptomatic staff members to promote safety, readiness
- June 30, 2020The Sergeants Major Academy holds first ever virtual graduation for Class 70
- June 30, 2020Oakdale resident selected for prestigious U.S. Army award
- June 30, 2020Lewiston resident selected for prestigious award
- June 30, 2020Army volunteers encourage student innovation during national STEM competition
- June 30, 2020Romeo Crennel: Path to NFL runs through Knox
- June 29, 2020Camp Zama housing satisfaction improves, wins awards
- June 26, 2020Army Hiring Days: Wiesbaden ‘super recruiters’ match people across Europe with careers
- June 25, 2020Fort Sill drill sergeants, cadre recognized for their lifesaving effort
- June 24, 2020The 22nd NCOLCoE Commandant Changes out with Distinguished Service
- June 22, 2020The NCOLCoE honors our allies and partners
- June 12, 2020Fort Polk celebrates 2020 NCO/SOY at Warrior Center ceremony