President Obama Proposes Funding to Build Resilience in Alaska
By U.S. ArmyFebruary 12, 2016
President Obama Proposes New Funding to Build Resilience of Alaska's Communities and Combat Climate ChangeWhen the President visited Alaska in August, he described the urgent and growing threat of a changing climate as "a challenge that will define the contours of this century more dramatically than any other." Last year broke the record set by 2014 as the warmest year on record. Climate change is already disrupting our agriculture and ecosystems, our water and food supplies, our energy, our infrastructure, and our health and safety.In no place is this truer than in Alaska. The Arctic is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world, and is experiencing the consequences. Higher average temperatures are diminishing the range of winter sea ice, allowing heavy storm surges to batter the Alaskan coastline, and interrupting the winter hunting season for Alaska Natives, many of whom rely on subsistence to feed themselves and their families.The President believes we must invest in Alaska's long-term economic and environmental well-being in a way that transcends his time in office. This priority, as well as the President's broader commitment to conservation and climate action -- and the economic growth they bring -- is evident throughout the President's 2017 Budget, literally from cover to cover.This week the Administration announced that $8.3 million will be allocated in the U.S. Army Corps 2016 work plan for safety related and other improvements of the harbor in Port Lions, Alaska.
- October 2, 2020U.S. Army STAND-TO! | Social Security Tax Deferral
- August 24, 2020Army finds Pebble Mine project cannot be permitted as proposed
- October 28, 2019U.S. Army proposes innovative solution for historic housing
- September 25, 2019Army announces proposed changes to eligibility criteria for burial at Arlington National Cemetery
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 1st BCT, 25th ID, U.S. Army Alaska unit rotation
- September 12, 2019List invested as new Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army
- September 12, 2019US Army reaches $1 billion milestone
- September 12, 2019Army Announces Delayed Conversion of Alaska Airborne Brigade
- September 12, 2019U.S. Army releases DCGS-A Increment 2 'request for proposals'
- September 12, 2019DOI, USDA, EPA, NOAA and USACE announce additional Resilient Lands and Waters Initiative sites to pr