ARLINGTON, Virginia (Aug. 6, 2014) -- The Department of Defense announced today the death of an Army general officer who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Maj. Gen. Harold J. Greene of Schenectady, New York, died Aug. 5, at Marshal Fahim National Defense University in Kabul City, Afghanistan, from wounds suffered when his unit was attacked by small arms fire.

He was serving as the Deputy Commanding General Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan.

"Words cannot express the sadness we feel at the senseless loss of Maj. Gen. Harold J. Greene," said Secretary of the Army John McHugh.

"Maj. Gen. Greene was a soldier, a scholar and, above all, a trusted professional leader. A leader who served a noble cause and sacrificed of himself so that others might live in peace and prosperity" McHugh said. "The thoughts of our entire Army are with Maj. Gen. Greene's wife and family, and the families of those injured in this horrific, tragic attack.

"They will remain in our hearts and prayers."

These soldiers were professionals, committed to the mission. It is their service and sacrifice that define us as an Army, said Gen. Ray Odierno, chief of staff, U.S. Army.

"Our priority right now is to take care of the families, ensuring they have all the resources they need during this critical time," Odierno said. "We remain committed to our mission in Afghanistan and will continue to work with our afghan partners to ensure the safety and security of all coalition soldiers and civilians."

Prior to this command, Greene was assigned to the Pentagon where he served as the Deputy for Acquisition and Systems Management (Acquisition, Logistics and Technology) from April 2012 to January 2014. He was promoted to major general on September 2, 2012.

"Major General Greene was an outstanding acquisition officer and a fierce advocate for soldiers," said Ms. Heidi Shyu, assistant Secretary of the Army (Acquisition, Logistics and Technology). "This tragedy is a tremendous loss for the Army."

Greene was a graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and was commissioned through the Reserve Officers Training Corps as a second lieutenant on May 25, 1980.

His awards and decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal; Legion of Merit (four awards); Meritorious Service Medal (six awards); Army Commendation Medal (four awards); Army Achievement Medal; and the Army Staff Identification Badge.

The incident remains under investigation and more information will be released as it becomes available.