Sumter Army recruiters and a Future Soldier volunteer with Sumter Habitat for Humanity July 15
By Leslie Ann SullyJuly 15, 2014
Staff Sgt. Robert Hayward wanted to do something different with the Future Soldiers in his station. "I signed up online to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and I hope today is the first of many times we will help the community," he said.
Michelle Huff, the site construction supervisor, said the crew will work on hanging siding and then move indoors to sand the walls and paint. This was perfect duty Tyler Harrington. "I have had a few construction jobs and worked at a horse ranch in Texas," he said.
Harrington, 18, just graduated from Crestwood High School in Sumter, S.C., where he played several sports. But he knew early that he wanted to join the Army. He has been in the Future Soldier system for 6 months and will attend basic training in August. "I am a fourth generation Soldier and I got my wish to be an Infantryman," he said.
Home owner Veneza Williams was happy for all the help. "I came over to see the progress and also to help," she said. She said she has learned a lot during the process and is grateful to everyone.
Habitat for Humanity builds safe, affordable houses for qualified homebuyers and each one is built in partnership with homeowner families, sponsors, and volunteers. Bob Brown, who works for Habitat for Humanity said it takes about 3 months to complete a house.
- May 21, 2020USAMMC-K Soldier, military spouse recognized among USAG-Daegu's top volunteers
- May 21, 2020Fort Leonard Wood senior leaders surprise Soldier with President’s Volunteer Service Award
- May 19, 2020Retired Soldier, current Army Reserve Ambassador volunteers for COVID-19 response
- May 15, 2020Behavioral Health Assessment Team (BHAT) - COVID-19 Assessment
- May 13, 2020US Coast Guard spouse volunteers at Maastricht hospital, saves lives
- May 13, 202020th CBRNE Soldiers join local group to volunteer 3D printing capabilities to aid COVID-19 healthcare workers
- May 12, 2020Volunteer of the Year winners receive ‘shout-out’ from garrison commander
- May 11, 2020Volunteers step up to help protect Fort McCoy families by making masks
- May 8, 2020Army volunteers, unity of effort
- May 7, 2020Commissary workers and volunteers part of the new front line
- May 5, 2020NY National Guard Soldiers aid at rural drive-thru dairy
- May 4, 2020Marne Soldier answers call to volunteer
- May 4, 2020The NCOLCoE students of class 70 - learners, leaders, and mentors