MICC boosts small business by half billion in 3rd quarter
By Daniel P. Elkins, Mission and Installation Contracting Command Public Affairs OfficeAugust 14, 2014
JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-FORT SAM HOUSTON, Texas (July 2, 2014) -- More than $505 million in contracts were awarded to small businesses throughout the nation during the third quarter of this fiscal year by contracting officials with the Mission and Installation Contracting Command.Through June 30, MICC contracting officers have awarded more than $1.1 billion in contracts for fiscal 2014 to small businesses representing 41.7 percent of total small business eligible dollars awarded by the command. In fiscal 2013, the command executed more than $2.1 billion to American small businesses. Historically, the number of contract awards increase in the fourth quarter as organizations supported by the MICC refine and finalize their mission sustainment requirements in the final quarter of the government fiscal year."The importance of the fourth quarter of the fiscal year cannot be overstated, not only to the command as it achieves its small-business goals, but also to the thousands of American small businesses that will find, compete for and win new Army contracts during that period," said Mark Massie, associate director for the MICC Office of Small Business Programs at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas.The MICC Office of Small Business Programs consists of personnel around the country who provide guidance to small businesses on the contracting process. In addition to providing advice to individual small businesses, the program also advocates within the command's 33 contracting offices to ensure small businesses have the maximum opportunity to compete for Army contracts awarded by those activities.MICC officials and small business specialists across the command conducted several acquisition forecast open house events at installations throughout the country in June. Massie said these outreach events were vital in helping communicate projected MICC contracting opportunities to the small-business community looking to do business with the Army.Dollars awarded to small-business contractors help support the achievement of annual government-wide goals required by the Small Business Act. Small-business directors at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston monitor each small business category throughout the fiscal year to ensure contracts are awarded in each of the following small business categories:- Small disadvantaged business
- Service-disabled veteran-owned small business
- Woman-owned small business
- Historically underutilized business zone small businessThe MICC is responsible for providing contracting support for the warfighter at Army commands, installations and activities located throughout the continental United States and Puerto Rico. In fiscal 2013, the command executed more than 43,000 contract actions worth more than $5.3 billion across the Army. The command has also managed more than 780,000 Government Purchase Card Program transactions this fiscal year valued at an additional $880 million.
- September 18, 2020Small Business Training Week 2020 focuses on future growth
- September 17, 2020Small Arms inspects, codes MK-19 weapons for future use
- September 16, 2020Mediation efforts earn MICC member annual recognition
- September 11, 2020TRADOC honors 9/11 with comradery and togetherness while teaching resiliency
- September 10, 2020MICC cleaning contract supports clean, safe workplaces
- September 8, 2020Army fields new chemical detection technology
- September 2, 2020Standard Operating Procedures: This is the way we’ve always done it.
- August 25, 2020Army launches first SPARTN solicitation for ‘Fire Faster’
- August 21, 2020The Letterkenny Munitions Center Is Reducing Cost And Ensuring Safety Through Non-Destructive Testing.
- August 20, 2020Security enterprise adapts virtually during pandemic
- August 18, 2020New Army sensitive activities financial management transaction system is not business as usual
- August 12, 2020Chef Irvine, SMA cook up DFAC improvements
- August 11, 2020AMC resource manager encourages local small business owners to partner