Army Birthday Party Runs Smoothly Indoors
By Skip Vaughn, USAG RedstoneJune 13, 2014
REDSTONE ARSENAL, Ala. -- The threat of thunderstorms canceled Team Redstone's second annual Army birthday run June 10 but that didn't stop the party.
As an alternative, a 239th Army birthday cake cutting was held inside the Java Café, complete with music from the AMC Band's brass quintet."Looks like a birthday party," Gen. Dennis Via, commander of the Army Materiel Command, said upon arrival. "Good morning, everyone."Retired Col. John Wright, AUSA's executive vice president, represented the Redstone-Huntsville Chapter of the Association of the U.S. Army which served as the event's sponsor. The chapter has more than 2,000 individual members and over 300 corporate members. Wright thanked the organizers for allowing the chapter to serve as host and then introduced Via."What a beautiful day, a great day. I regret we didn't get out running this morning," Via said of the unpredictable weather.He said a lot has happened during the Army's 239 years. More than 90,000 men and women are forward deployed or forward stationed defending this nation's interests around the world, including in Afghanistan."In recognition of this great day, this great week, we celebrate our United States Army and its 239th birthday in defending freedom for our great nation," said Via, who has been in uniform for 34 years.He thanked the men and women in uniform, the civilian employees and the contractors."Thank you for the tremendous supportSgt. Maj. William Lewis, AMC's operations and logistics sergeant major, organized the event and served as master of ceremonies. This will be his last Army birthday celebration at Redstone as he completes his 24-month tour.
- August 4, 2020Fort McCoy Sgt. Audie Murphy Club chapter holds first community event
- July 31, 2020Transportation Corps, 58th Trans. Bn. observe anniversaries one day apart
- July 31, 2020USAG Bavaria recognizes 700 volunteers
- July 28, 2020“Growing Through Adversity” premiere - release of the U.S. Army Chaplain Corps’ first Strong Bonds film
- July 24, 2020Fort Polk’s MPC meets challenge of COVID-19 with hybrid VBS
- July 22, 2020Fort Leonard Wood chaplains reflect on 245th anniversary of Chaplain Corps
- July 20, 2020The next chapter: 1AD Senior Enlisted Leader chosen to lead 8th Army
- July 17, 2020USAG Bavaria ACS recognizes community volunteers in honor of 55 years of service
- July 13, 2020MSCoE Sends: Living the Army Profession
- July 9, 2020Post-employment: When are you seeking outside employment?
- July 6, 2020Diamondbacks, ‘intrepid’ OPFOR take to skies
- July 1, 2020Chief Warrant Officers reflect on careers, cohort ahead of 102nd birthday