WIESBADEN, Germany (April 25, 2014) -- Approximately 150 Soldiers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vicenza, Italy, arrived in Latvia yesterday, to conduct small unit and leader training with members of the Latvian Army.
This exercise is the second in a series of expanded U.S. land force training activities in the region that are scheduled to take place for the next few months and beyond. This action comes at the request of the host nations in the region and further demonstrates U.S. commitment to NATO.
The training, not previously scheduled, takes place as the United States continues to demonstrate solidarity with its NATO allies by increased land force presence in Poland and the Baltic States, an enhanced exercise schedule, and increased security cooperation measures with allies in the region.
Some of the other land forces exercises planned across Europe include:
• Exercise Rochambeau, scheduled to take place in France in May
• Exercise Combined Resolve II, scheduled to take place in Germany in May
• Exercise Saber Strike, scheduled to take place in Lithuania and Latvia in June
• Exercise Immediate Response, scheduled to take place in Slovenia in August
• Exercise Saber Junction 14, scheduled to take place in Germany in August
• Exercise Cooperative Resolve, scheduled to take place in Turkey in September
For more information, visit the U.S. Army Europe website www.eur.army.mil and navigate to the Exercises page www.eur.army.mil/exercises/.
About us: U.S. Army Europe is uniquely positioned to advance American strategic interests across Eurasia and has unparalleled capability to prevent conflict, shape the environment and, if necessary, win decisively. The relationships we build during more than 1000 theater security cooperation events in more than 40 countries each year lead directly to support for multinational contingency operations around the world, strengthen regional partnerships, and enhance global security.