CAMP HUMPHREYS -- With the excitement that the upcoming holiday season brings, it is easy to forget that tax season is just around the corner.

The U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys Tax Center will open Jan. 27, 2014 in Bldg. 578, in the Area III Consolidated Legal Center. This building is located in the group of buildings across from the Child Development Center, near the Quarry Gate.

The normal U.S. filing deadline is April 15; however, there is an automatic extension deadline for U.S. citizens and resident aliens whose tax home is overseas. That deadline is June 15. No extension request is necessary to file by this date. No penalty will be accessed on taxes due if paid by June 15; however interest will be charged on taxes not paid by April 15.

To help filers get an early start, here are some helpful tax preparation tips.

Newborn Children -- Those who have a new child in the family will need to apply for a Social Security number as soon as possible. Without a Social Security number, filers will not be able to claim the new family member as a dependent or take advantage of certain tax credits. Sponsors can complete a Form SS-5-FS (Application for a Social Security Card) through the USAG Humphreys Passport Office. To help expedite the receipt of the Social Security card, one solution would be to have the card mailed to a friend or family member at a US address, who can then mail it to the APO address.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) -- Foreign nationals and others who have tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for a Social Security number, should apply for an ITIN through the IRS. ITINs are valid for five years. The card can be obtained by completing a Form W-7 (Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) and mailing it to the IRS. This process can take approximately six weeks, so make sure to get an early start if the card is needed for this year.

Mailing Address -- For those who have moved recently, make sure to update the address and contact information with any organization that may send tax documents. Many organizations restrict the U.S. Postal Service from forwarding tax documents. Ensuring everyone has a current mailing address will make sure that all tax documents will be received in a timely manner, making the filing of the return easier.

Receipts and Documentation -- Begin gathering receipts and any other documents (W2s, 1098s, 1099s, child care statements, charitable donations, and moving expenses) needed to complete the return. That way, when coming for an appointment at the USAG Humphreys Tax Center, all the necessary forms will be in the filer's possession.

For questions, or more information, contact the Consolidated Legal Center, at 753-6245, or visit Bldg. 578.