Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (443) 861-5262
- May 22, 2018Leaning forward: 167th TSC and DLA conduct key leader engagement
- May 21, 2018Natural resource management benefits spill over into recreation
- May 14, 201825th anniversary: Ohio-Hungary partnership more like family
- May 10, 2018New technology testing may achieve the goals of HARP "space" gun
- May 9, 2018Army nurse finds purpose, professional growth in military career
- May 8, 2018Army delivers first robots to U.S. Coast Guard's National Strike Force
- May 7, 2018AMCOM Commander looks toward the future, Encourages QUAD-A audience to remember the objective is to
- May 7, 2018Guard aids in rainy Derby day festivities
- April 28, 2018Tough Ruck mirrors Boston Marathon, honors fallen Servicemembers
- April 26, 2018Kickoff event helps attendees travel across the world in a day
- April 23, 2018What's it like being first? Stronger, more effective
- April 17, 2018Blanchfield Celebrates National Occupational Therapy Month
- April 13, 2018USACE Real Estate team boost value in restoration mission
- April 10, 2018Sinise brings Invincible Spirit Festival back to BAMC for 6th time
- April 6, 2018Army pushes next wave of ground robots forward
- April 5, 2018Army Earth Day: mission, environment, community