Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (443) 861-5262
- February 16, 2018'Fight for the right to fight'-- Black history at Fort Knox, U.S. Army, Fort Knox helped pave the wa
- February 15, 2018Private sector helps Army and national economy
- February 9, 2018Colorado Special Forces Soldiers awarded for acts of valor
- February 1, 2018Huntington District Unmanned Aerial System Support to Task Force Power
- February 1, 2018Vicenza VTF increases access to pet care
- January 30, 2018Science and technology supporting future Army aviation
- January 29, 2018Veterinary clinic increases access to care
- January 26, 20181-21 Infantry 'Gimlets' Honor Fallen Heroes
- January 9, 2018WeWork: Veterans in Residence
- January 5, 2018'Louisiana fast' -- 'for those who love food, 'Popeyes, QDOBA coming to Fort Knox
- December 28, 2017New tools map safer routes from shore to inland objectives
- December 26, 2017Perspectives: 2018 looks bright for MICC
- December 26, 2017Soldier-athletes demonstrate resiliency, enduring spirit in 2017
- December 22, 2017420th Engineer Brigade passes torch to 35th Engineer Brigade
- December 12, 2017Fitness center answers community request for 24-hour access
- November 30, 2017LMP account management experts detail steps to system usage