Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (410) 436-7312
- August 11, 2018Mock court martial in Alabama sets the bar for training
- August 9, 2018Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation celebrates record-breaking year of educating Marine children
- August 3, 2018USAG Rheinland-Pfalz offers Antiterrorism Awareness Month information
- July 26, 2018CERDEC unveils more than a dozen new technologies for mission command
- July 24, 2018Depot fosters decades-long community service effort
- July 23, 2018Commentary: Red, White and Teal
- July 20, 20181st ID Conducts Convoy, Establishes TAC at BPTA For Saber Strike
- July 17, 2018Transportation Company sets new National Guard gun crew record
- July 13, 2018PRESS RELEASE: U.S. Army Special Operations Ranger killed in combat
- July 10, 2018USAMU sets records at 57th Interservice Rifle Championship
- July 9, 2018Army Combat Fitness Test set to become new PT test of record in late 2020
- July 3, 2018DHA director meets with RHC-P CG
- July 2, 2018JBLM to host two day July 4th Freedom Fest Celebration
- June 29, 2018Independence Day Safety Message
- June 28, 2018Fort Stewart DHR spotlights Andrea Everett
- June 28, 2018FREEDOM FEST ON FOURTH: National Infantry Museum invites Soldiers, Families for celebration