Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (443) 861-5262
- May 8, 2018Army delivers first robots to U.S. Coast Guard's National Strike Force
- May 7, 2018Guard aids in rainy Derby day festivities
- May 3, 2018Michigan Guard and Latvia celebrate 25-year partnership
- May 3, 2018Memorial Day Safety Message
- May 1, 2018The right questions for sustainers to ask and answer on the battlefield
- April 26, 2018Kickoff event helps attendees travel across the world in a day
- April 23, 2018What's it like being first? Stronger, more effective
- April 13, 2018USACE Real Estate team boost value in restoration mission
- April 11, 2018922nd Contracting Battalion assumes mission in Afghanistan
- April 10, 2018Sinise brings Invincible Spirit Festival back to BAMC for 6th time
- April 9, 2018BG Andrew J. Juknelis attends at the 54th Memorial Ceremony for Gen. Douglas MacArthur
- April 6, 2018Army pushes next wave of ground robots forward
- April 4, 20181-30th Inf., Dragon Company color casing
- April 4, 2018Free Head and Neck Cancer Screening April 10 in Kaiserslautern Military Community
- April 2, 2018Army Capt. Kenny Rodgers knows when to hold 'em
- March 30, 2018Clay celebrates women's history, diversity with SDDC