Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (410) 436-7312
- January 17, 2020New TADLP website reflects Soldiers growing preference for access on mobile devices
- January 17, 2020Eligible veterans authorized post access, shopping privileges in Germany
- January 16, 2020Housing summit the way ahead
- January 16, 2020Fixing the Training Modular Task Force: An approach to Logistical Information System challenges
- January 16, 20208th TSC establishes favorable sustainment conditions by setting the theater
- January 14, 2020Innovation through technology
- January 10, 2020Army Housing Summit set to forge path forward in housing reinvestment
- January 9, 2020New 5-day Fast Pass allows for quick access to post for qualified visitors without military IDs
- January 6, 2020Annual bird count records different species on post
- January 3, 2020Joint Planners establish International Maritime Security Construct Headquarters
- January 2, 2020Disabled veterans, others now allowed in PX, Commissary, MWR facilities
- December 30, 2019Starting Jan. 1, 4.1 million disabled veterans, certain caregivers can shop tax-free at Exchanges
- December 30, 2019NY National Guard provides military honors at 11,045 veteran burials
- December 30, 2019Soldier lifts her way to record-setting achievements
- December 18, 2019Holiday Season Safety Message