Eighth Army

Pacific Victors

About Eighth Army

Forward-deployed and combat ready, Eighth Army serves as a disciplined and lethal partner of the Combined, Joint Force securing the Republic of Korea. Proud of our legacy earned with the blood and sacrifice of generations past, we remain an evolving, values-based organization strengthened through the character of our Soldiers, Civilians and Families. The Warfighter's assignment of choice, Eighth Army is strong and getting stronger.

Latest Videos

Eighth Army

Eighth Army is proud of our mission, our people and our Alliance. At the links below, you'll find the latest products used to tell the Eighth Army story. For media queries, please contact the Eighth Army Public Affairs Office.



  • Lieutenant General Christopher C. LaNeve
    Commanding General, Eighth Army
    Lieutenant General Christopher C. LaNeve
  • Command Sergeant Major Robin M. Bolmer
    Command Sergeant Major, Eighth Army
    Command Sergeant Major Robin M. Bolmer
  • Brigadier General Sean Crockett
    Deputy Commanding General - Operations, Eighth Army
    Brigadier General Sean Crockett
  • Brigadier General Roderick F. Laughman
    Deputy Commanding General - Sustainment, Eighth Army
    Brigadier General Roderick F. Laughman
  • Brigadier General Lee, Seung-chan
    Deputy Commanding General - ROK, Eighth Army
    Brigadier General Lee, Seung-chan

Welcome to the Land of the Morning Calm! We hope you enjoy your stay as a member of the Eighth Army family. To help you adjust to life here in the Republic of Korea we have included the following links to better prepare you and your family for success at your new duty station.

Welcome and Before Travel Guide

  • Eighth Army welcomes you to South Korea!

    It is our sincere pleasure to welcome you into the Land of the Morning Calm family. The Eighth Army family is comprised of multiple units and organizations across the Korean peninsula. Being stationed in South Korea offers an exciting place to live, work, and experiences that are second to none.

    An overseas PCS can be a unique challenge, even if you have done it before. The Eighth Army Newcomers page, 19th Human Resource Company (19 HRC) and your TASP Sponsor are here to support you and ensure that you have the information and resources you need for a smooth transition to South Korea.

    We are proud to be part of exceptional communities committed to serving our Service Members, families, and personnel via programs offered by Army Community Service (ACS), Child & Youth Services, Outdoor Rec, USO, BOSS, FRGs and more.

    While moving overseas brings its challenges, I want you to know that Eighth Army is here to support you during your PCS and throughout your tour. On behalf of the Eighth Army family, welcome to South Korea!

    5 Things to Get Started on Right Away

    1. Total Army Sponsorship The best way to transition is with the help of your future team.
    2. Command Sponsorship Ensure dependents are eligible for a fully funded move overseas.
    3. Passports & SOFA Learn which travel documents are required before you PCS overseas.
    4. Hotel Reservations On-post lodging is in short supply. Don’t wait for orders to reserve lodging.
    5. CYS & School Registration Be ahead of the class and start your CYS and school packets now.

    5 Things to Keep in Mind

    1. Storing & Shipping HHG Learn how to split your HHG into various shipments to get settled in sooner.
    2. Driving Overseas For those authorized, know what to expect when shipping your POV overseas.
    3. GOVCC All Soldiers require a GOVCC,, if you don’t have one apply early to get one.
    4. Traveling with Pets Moving pets overseas is at your own expense, and requires a lot of paperwork, preparation.
    5. Cell Phones, Keeping In Touch & Dialing Instruction Learn about cell phones & staying in touch while overseas.
  • Human Resources Command (HRC) will notify your Soldier of his or her assignment to South Korea. When your Soldier receives assignment orders to move overseas, they will include instructions for key aspects of your PCS move and indicate the type and length of tour your Soldier will serve. Learn how these orders will affect your Soldier and family.

    Assignment Orders

    Shortly after HRC notification your Soldier should receive a request for orders (RFO) and/or orders that will contain PCS instructions. The Soldier must attend a levy brief and complete several important steps at your losing installation to plan and prepare accordingly. Important items to take note of would include:

    • Report date and tour length
    • Port of debarkation / embarkation (departure / arrival airport)
    • HHG, POV, and family travel authorizations

    Types of Overseas Tours

    Your Soldier’s PCS orders and losing installation will provide information pertaining to the following:

    Accompanied Tour (with dependents)

    This means your family is eligible to accompany your Soldier overseas for a 24-month tour. To ensure the new duty station can support your family, Command Sponsorship of dependents must be approved before your family moves overseas. If approved, the full name of each dependent must be listed on orders. Orders will also include the type of dependent travel authorized:

    • Concurrent travel (with or within 60 days of Soldier)
    • Deferred travel (61 or more days after Soldier)

    Unaccompanied Tour (without dependents)

    The Soldier may elect an unaccompanied tour (“All Others Tour”) for family reasons or because Command Sponsorship of dependents is denied. Regardless, an All Others tour means dependents are not authorized to move overseas. This tour is a 12-month commitment.

    For more details, see Army Regulations: AR 55-46 Travel Overseas and AR 614-30 Overseas Service.

  • The Total Army Sponsorship Program (TASP) is now accessible in Army Career Tracker (ACT) to assist Soldiers and DA Civilians during the transition to their new assignment. Commanders now have the ability to guarantee the successful assignment of individual sponsors through the streamlined Sponsorship process found only in ACT. TASP ensures that incoming Soldiers are assigned Sponsors prior to reporting to their new installations. Obtaining a Sponsor reduces the stress of reporting to a new unit, enhancing resiliency, and improving readiness among Soldiers and family members.

    It is important to ensure you have Common Access Card (CAC) access during your PCS movement to maintain in communications with your sponsor. If you do not have CAC access, you can use your DS Login during leave period, TDY enroute, or PCS travel. It may also be helpful is share a civilian email address with your TASP sponsor.

    If you are on orders to Korea and are less than 30 days from your PCS report date, or if you have not been contacted by your sponsor, contact a Korea Sponsorship Coordinator at the phone numbers below or by email at:

    If you know your specific unit assignment, you may contact that TASP coordinator directly:

    • Eighth Army DSN 755-2703
    • 2nd Infantry Division DSN 732-7173
    • 19th ESC DSN 768-6656, DSN 768-8570
    • IMCOM Pacific & Garrisons in Area I DSN 738-3135
    • Area III DSN 753-3700
    • Area IVDSN 763-4331

    Related Documents

  • Bring your family to Korea! The Republic of Korea is a great place to serve and grow personally and professionally, for both Soldiers and their Family members.

    Being approved for Command Sponsorship means that family members are able to accompany the Soldier Outside the Continental U.S. (OCONUS) for the length of his or her tour. The Soldier must apply for Command Sponsorship. The process includes an Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) screening of each family member and approval from the Soldier's gaining command. In order to initiate your Family Travel Screening Packet please go to the following site: EFMP (army.mil). This process can be initiated 180 days prior to Soldier's PCS Report date to allow for Command Sponsorship Orders. While Command Sponsorship of dependents is not guaranteed, all Soldiers should consider applying.

    While each losing installations processing guidelines may vary slightly, after receiving a Request for Orders (RFO) or assignment instructions (AI), the Soldier should immediately request Command Sponsorship through the losing installation Military Personnel Division (MPD) Personnel Processing Branch.

    For questions about the command sponsorship program (CSP), or if a request is being submitted while the Soldier is still inbound, inside of 30 days to Korea, please contact the CSP office at:


    Required documents:

    Out of Country Forms (currently not in Korea)

    • Out-Country CSP Checklist
    • Command Sponsorship Statement: Example
    • DA 4787 (Reassignment Processing): Provided by losing installation MPD
    • DA 5888 (Family Member Deployment Screening Sheet): Provided by losing installation MPD
    • DD 2792 (Exceptional Family Member Medical Summary): Provided by screening agency (if required)
    • DD 2792-1 (Exceptional Family Member Special Education/Early Intervention Summary): Provided by screening agen (if required)
    • AAA-234 (Individual Losing Assignment) for Enlisted or Request for Orders (RFO) for Officers
    • Soldiers Record Brief
    • NOTE: 2792 and/or 2792-1 with Individualized Education Program (IEP) are only required if DA 5888 is annotated "Consideration Warranted"

    Soldier must submit CSP Requests to the losing installation MPD no earlier than 180 days and no later than 30 days to the Soldier’s report date. Losing installation MPD will forward the packet to usarmy.humphreys.id-pacific.mbx.csp@army.mil.

    In Country Forms (currently in Korea)

    • In-Country CSP Checklist
    • Command Sponsorship Statement: Example
    • DA 4187 (Personnel Action): Example
    • Original PCS orders bring Soldier to Korea and Pin-point Orders
    • DA 5888 (Family member screening sheet) Initiated online after completion of Family Travel Packet (EFMP (army.mil))
    • DD 2792 (Exceptional Family Member Medical Summary): Provided by screening agency (if required)
    • DD 2792-1 (Exceptional Family Member Special Education/Early Intervention Summary: Provided by screening agency (if required)
    • Soldiers Record Brief
    • DD 1172-2 (Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) from the DEERS office for Soldiers with dependents
    • NOTE: 2792 and/or 2792-1 with Individualized Education Program (IEP) are only required if DA 5888 is annotated “Consideration Warranted".
    • Unit S1 submits In-country CSP request to 8A G1 groupmailbox at: usarmy.humphreys.8-army.mbx.g1-csp-korea@army.mil

    Track your Command Sponsorship request

    Already submitted a CSP and want to check the status? Please contact the 8A G1 CSP office at: usarmy.humphreys.8-army.mbx.g1-csp-korea@army.mil

    How long does the application take?

    The entire approval process can take up to 30 days from receipt of the CSP packet, if EFMP is not warranted.

    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL
    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL


    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

    Early Return of Dependents

    Command-sponsored Family members who reside in Korea may be returned early to CONUS at Government expense under the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulation (JTR).

    All requests must be fully justified IAW the JTR, Chapter 5 and Department of Defense Instruction (DoDI) 1315.18, Enclosure 5.

    All requests are routed through your unit and submitted IAW Eighth Army Policy/Guidance.

    Related Documents

  • Civilian Acculturation Program is providing information to our new civilian employees to create a positive first impression of the Eighth Army Family and the Army. It ensures their rapid inclusion within our workforce and the Army Profession by providing them the tools, resources and organizational perspective to grow personally and professionally as members of a team.


    All supervisors are responsible for identifying and maintaining the trained sponsors. Once a selection is returned to the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) for a Tentative Job Offer (TJO), supervisors can be a sponsor or will immediately assign a sponsor with at least four months of retainability of 8th Army. The supervisor will initiate communication within three days of TJO acceptance and provide an official welcome letter signed by the 8th Army Chief of Staff. Sponsor will also advise the employee that a firm job offer is still contingent upon the completion of all pre-employment requirements and no to make any revocable decisions until employee receives the firm job offer from CPAC (i.e. selling house, quitting job, etc).

    Useful documents: Supervisor Checklist 2024 [PDF - 294.5 KB]


    All sponsors will ensure that all sponsorship requirements are fulfilled throughout the onboarding process of the new employees as soon as officially assigned a sponsor. After initial contact with the new employees, sponsors will communicate weekly to ensure that questions are answered or issues are relayed to the chain of command. Sponsors will be responsible to track new employee’s arrival to Korea.

    New employee

    Once initial contact was made by supervisor and sponsor, the employees will continue to communicate with them for your status update or any concerns and issues. As relocating to the overseas may bring its challenges, please be aware that 8th Army is here to support you during your PCS and throughout your tour. On behalf of the 8th Army family, welcome to South Korea!

    7 Things to Keep in Mind with Your PCS

    1. Storing & Shipping HHG: Individuals who are eligible for Government-funded moves will receive Permanent Change of Station (PCS). Upon receipt of orders, individuals must decide which household goods (HHG) are to be shipped and which are to be placed in non-temporary storage (NTS).
    2. Driving Overseas: For those authorized, know what to expect when shipping your POV overseas. A written test is required for individuals possessing a valid driver's license from any state. Must to successfully pass the test.
    3. Traveling with Pets: Shipment of pets is the responsibility of the pet owner. Payment for transportation, vaccinations, and proper documentation is the responsibility of the pet owner.
    4. Cell Phones, Keeping In Touch & Dialing Instruction: Learn about Korean cell phones & staying in touch with your family while in overseas.
    5. Hotel Reservations: On-post lodging availabilities are limited. Make room reservation as soon as you can. You do not need PCS order to reserve room(s).
    6. CYS & School Registration: Be ahead of the class and start your CYS and school packets now.
    7. Passports & SOFA: Learn which travel documents are required prior to depart your CONUS location you PCS overseas. You will need a copy of PCS Orders along with your passport.

    For more information please visit the Directorate of Human Resources Management website at: https://www.army.mil/8tharmy#org-newcomers

    Related Documents

  • As part of the Command Sponsorship application packet, a Soldier’s dependents are each required to complete an Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) Screening.

    What is EFMP?

    The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is a Department of Defense program designed to identify and document the special medical and/or educational needs of a soldier’s family members and ensure that those needs are considered during the assignment process. The program applies to adults as well as children up to 21 years of age. Approximately 10% of Army Families have members with special needs, including spouses, children, or dependent parents who require special services.

    Why do I need an EFMP Screening?

    EFMP screening is required for all sponsors requesting command sponsorship, consecutive overseas tours, AIP or as an addition to orders. Enrollment in the EFMP is mandatory for all active duty military sponsors who have family members with special medical and/or educational needs. Enrollment or updates to EFMP should be completed at the time of initial diagnosis of medical problems and/or awareness of educational concerns.

    As the Army shifts resources during transformation throughout South Korea, the Army wants to ensure Soldiers are assigned to locations where dependents with special needs can receive necessary care. When reviewing a family member’s needs, the Army often considers the availability of services from the host nation as well as those provided by the Army.

    What are the EFMP Screening steps?

    During your losing installation’s levy brief they should discuss the process and steps involved to complete the EFMP process. Special medical and/or educational needs vary from person to person; the associated required documentation and information is likely to also be different. Generally, at your EFMP appointment, the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) practitioner will review your screening questionnaire, outpatient medical records, education records, and any supporting documentation to determine if any family member meets criteria for enrollment into EFMP.

    Need help navigating the EFMP process?

    Contact your losing installation’s military health clinic’s EFMP Coordinator to help you with enrollment, disenrollment, updates, and overseas EFMP screenings. Additional information about the EFMP program is available at: http://efmp.amedd.army.mil/

  • Military family members with their names on PCS orders can enter South Korea using a regular tourist passport. Active duty military will use their common access card and orders to enter Korea. Department of Defense civilian personnel can also use their tourist passport to enter. See “Tourist Passport” below for more information.

    Per DoDM O-1000.21, DoD civilian eligible family members on official travel are required to apply for the appropriate Special Issuance Passport prior to departure from the point of origin. However, if family members have just a tourist passport they will be allowed to enter South Korea.

    Non-U.S. citizens must apply for a country of origin passport. Documents must be original or certified copies.


    All family members, civilians, and even newborns must obtain an A-3 visa (which allows for multiple entries into Korea) and SOFA (Standard of Forces Agreement) stamp within 30 days upon arrival. The SOFA stamp registers the person and identifies them as having protections and rights under our SOFA agreement. Having a SOFA stamp does not exempt any person from abiding by our host nation's laws.

    The U.S. government has a stationing agreement with every country that hosts U.S. military forces. The SOFA defines the legal rights and obligations of SOFA-status personnel and exempts personnel from the Korean Immigration laws relating to alien registration.

    This does not mean that all U.S. Family members in Korea will have an A3 Visa and SOFA stamp. Some Family Members are Korean citizens and require no Visa or stamp. Other Family Members work outside the garrison gates and are required to have any variety of work Visa deemed by the Korean Immigration Office.

    If a Soldier’s spouse plans to work off-post it is recommended you contact your installation Client Legal Services to review your A-3 Visa/SOFA Stamp application or answer additional questions regarding various Republic of Korea visa options before employment to ensure compliance with immigration laws.

    Tourist Passport

    Tourist Passports are required for leisure travel outside of your host nation, the Republic of South Korea. It can take up to 8+ weeks to process a tourist passport in South Korea. All tourist passports are processed, in person, through the US Embassy in Seoul. It is recommended to apply for a Tourist Passport prior to leaving the U.S. if you plan to do tourist travel while stationed abroad. Apply for tourist passports at any US Post Office or visit: www.travel.state.gov

    Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA)

    Notice: K-ETA will be temporarily exempted for 22 countries from April 1, 2023, to Dec. 31, 2024. The United States is included in this exemption. Travelers can still apply for a K-ETA and pay the 10,000 Korean Won fee (about $9) per person if they wish; those who have a K-ETA will not have to submit an arrival card at the port of entry. Those who got their K-ETA approval already can use it until it expires. No refund will be made for people who have already submitted a K-ETA application.

    The Korean government requires non-Korean citizens entering Korea to apply for the Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA), which is a document granting permission to non-Korean citizens to travel to the Republic of Korea. The K-ETA applies to non-Korean citizens of countries eligible for visa-free entry to the Republic of Korea.

    U.S. service members traveling to Korea on PCS or TDY orders, those who already have a visa issued by the Korean government, and those who apply via the website and receive an exception to policy letter from the Korean government do not have to comply with this requirement. However, all others traveling to the Republic of Korea must comply, including family members visiting the Republic of Korea. New GS (general schedule) civilian hires and dependents listed on a service member’s PCS orders who do not have an approved K-ETA exemption memorandum issued by the Korean government must also comply with the requirement.

    Obtaining a K-ETA must be done online via the K-ETA website prior to starting travel. Registration costs 10,000 Korean won (about $10 USD) per person. Successful registration will result in generation of a printable certificate for each person that will be received via an email provided by the requestor. Each certificate comes with a unique number and is good for two years. The website does not differentiate between adult, adolescent, or infant travelers. Those who fail to obtain a K-ETA prior to landing in Korea may be denied entry and may be subsequently told to re-board a plane back to their point of origin.

    Personnel may claim the registration fee as a travel-related cost. PCS travel is claimed via forms submitted to the servicing finance office and TDY claims are processed through the Defense Travel System online. For questions about claiming expenses incurred during travel, visit your servicing directorate of human resources or finance office.

    When filling out the information online, the following may be helpful:

    • Nationality is organized by continent. For U.S. citizens, select “Americas,” then “United States of America.”
    • Digital photos are needed to complete the online application. Photos must be 700x700 pixels or less, file size less than 100kb, in .jpeg format, with one’s face clearly visible.
    • Korea zip codes can be used: Camp Humphreys: 17977, Camp Walker (Daegu): 42505, Osan Air Base: 17760, Camp Carroll (Waegwan): 39890, Camp Casey: 11311
    • Be sure to note the application number for your records at the end of the application process.

    For more information or to register, visit https://www.k-eta.go.kr/.

    Related Documents

  • The Government Travel Charge Card Program (GTCC) provides travelers with a safe, effective, convenient, and commercially available method to pay for expenses associated with official travel. The GTCC includes Individually Billed Accounts (IBAs) and Centrally Billed Accounts (CBAs). The GTCC is a VISA credit card that may be used at any location that accepts VISA including OCONUS locations. Personal use of the travel card or using the travel card to pay for someone else's travel expenses is prohibited. The use of the travel card for non-official expenses may result in disciplinary actions.

    All Soldiers on official government travel will be issued a GTCC through their losing unit or installation Agency Program Coordinator (APC). APCs are responsible for managing the DOD GTCC program for permissible expenses (see Appendix G of JTR Manual) while on official travel orders. Use of the Government Travel Charge Card is mandatory when on official business travel, unless an exemption has been granted. The mandatory GTCC training provides guidance covering the authorized use of the GTCC.

  • Those who are informed in writing by the Garrison Housing Office that on-post housing is not available for their rank/grade or command sponsorship status might need to reserve temporary lodging while conducting mandatory inprocessing and working to obtain off-post housing. This situation typically does not apply to unaccompanied Soldiers. If lodging is required, coordinating accommodations should occur directly with the Camp Humphreys Lodge. The reservation must start after any required quarantine period. On-post housing assignments typically fall within two categories:

    1. Single Soldiers/Unaccompanied - (E1-E8, WO1-CW4, and O1-O5 (non CSL/Command slated)) will get a projected room on post in unit barracks or in Senior Leader Quarters (SLQs) from installation housing
    2. E9/O5 CSL (Command Slated), O6 and CW5 - Sponsors will coordinate lodging if the CSL housing is not ready upon arrival.

    If you have questions or concerns, contact the 19th Human Resources Company or your sponsor for further instruction and guidance.

    19th HRC 24hr Phone

    For more information about the Camp Humphreys Lodge, visit


    If Camp Humphreys Army Lodging is not available, 19th HRC will provide guidance to alternative lodging options. Families cannot stay at off-post hotels during the in-processing period without coordination and from 19th HRC.

  • All Soldiers and Command Sponsored dependents should coordinate with your losing installation’s Contract Travel Office (CTO) to arrange for airfare. The primary and preferred option is to arrive by the Patriot Express. By exception, Soldiers and families who arrive in country on commercial air will do so through the Incheon Airport.

    Patriot Express

    Your primary port of arrival into the Republic of Korea will be the Osan Air Base passenger terminal located in Area 5 within the city of Pyeongtaek, via Patriot Express operated by Omni Air International and Atlas Air Worldwide. The Patriot Express is a USTRANSCOM and Air Mobility Command commercial air contracted service from SEATAC, Seattle International Airport.

    Per USFK Regulation 55-29, the PATRIOT EXPRESS must be used for OCONUS travel unless there is a documented negative critical mission impact.

    Arriving passengers will receive a safety brief from a USAF Air Mobility Squadron (AMS) representative before deplaning the aircraft and will be escorted to the passenger holding area where they will receive a welcome, immigration, customs and processing brief from representatives of USAF Movement Control Team (MCT). Passengers will then begin the immigration process; families with small children will have priority and restrooms are available. Once complete, passengers proceed to baggage claim. Once you collect all your bags you will advance to the customs area. Overall, this process usually takes 3-4 hours from plane arrival to departing to Camp Humphreys.

    19 HRC will have buses ready to transport Soldiers and their families to the replacement center and in-processing One-Stop at Camp Humphreys, Korea. (35 minute approximate travel time). Once the bus departs Osan, the 138th MCT will hand over responsibilities of the passengers to 19 HRC. 19 HRC Cadre will escort the buses and baggage to Camp Humphreys.

    Note: Travelers with pets will be identified and placed at the front of the line in order to complete required pet immigration and not delay bus movement. Personnel travelling with pets must also review traveling with pets, as there are strict pet immigration regulations and requirements.

    Commercial Arrivals

    For those who arrive by commercial airlines your first port of arrival into the Republic of Korea will be at the Incheon International Airport, located approximately 50km west of Seoul. After securing your baggage and processing through customs, you will to report to the USFK / 8th Army Joint Reception Desk near Exit 1 (Terminal 1) or gate 6 (Terminal 2). You will be taken by bus to Camp Humphreys to in-process before movement to your unit and final duty station.

    Other travel planning Considerations

    Service member and family travel plans depends on the sponsors orders:

    Concurrent Travel Orders means service member and family can travel together. This requires that dependents are Command Sponsored on orders, and they have No-Fee Passport. If these criteria are not met, the Soldier will go to South Korea and dependents will follow within 60 days. If follow on travel is not possible, then the Soldier must get their orders amended to reflect “deferred travel” authorize.

    Deferred Travel Orders are when families travel separately and arrive 61+ days after Soldier. This can happen for various reasons such as waiting for command sponsorship approval, no-fee passports to arrive, or to let kids finish a school semester before PCS travel. You would still contact your losing installation’s Contract Travel Office (CTO) to arrange family travel.

    Paying for Flights

    For the Army to pay for travel, flights must be booked via the CTO on a U.S. Flag Carrier, as required by the Fly America Act, and orders must indicate: either IBA or CBA.

    Individually Billed Account (IBA)
    With an IBA, your Soldier will use a gov’t travel credit card (GTCC) to pay for flight plans made at the CTO. Your Soldier will then claim reimbursement by filling out a travel voucher during in-processing.

    Centrally Billed Account (CBA)
    With a CBA, the CTO is responsible for paying for the airfare. The CTO charges the cost of airfare to a CBA and the CTO is then reimbursed after submitting a claim.

    Related Links

  • (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

    Traveling overseas with a pet requires additional planning and preparation. We all love our pets like family, but remember that bringing pets to South Korea is a privilege, not an entitlement. As such, the Contract Travel Office (CTO), does not book pet flights, but they can book your Soldier and family on a pet-friendly flight with the CTO contracted airline Patriot Express or other airline if authorize to travel commercially. All costs associated with pet travel are at your expense. Commercial airline carriers may have specific pet policies or limitations that further restrict pet travel. Traveling with pets requires a lot of pre-planning. Do not forget to connect with your sponsors and read all the associated material related to travel and South Korean Requirements. Just remember that everyone’s experience traveling with pets is different and pre-planning as far in advance as possible will pay off.

    Note: Soldiers traveling without dependents will stay in barracks or senior leader quarters and pets are not authorized in those facilities.

    Note: Due to increasing airline restrictions on pets, many families are running into trouble getting their pet OUT of Korea. Pet exportation costs, depending on the size of the animal, can cost upwards of $15,000 as of April 2021. Before deciding to bring your pet, please do your research and decide if the risk of high exportation costs is worth it. Abandoning your animal in Korea is punishable via UCMJ IAW USFK 40-5.

    Note: Note: Please keep in mind that certain medications, prescription diets, and services are unavailable through the military veterinary clinics in Korea. Before deciding to bring your pet, do your research and decide if the level of care needed is available at your location.

    Planning Pet Travel

    There are currently only two ports of entry for pets (dogs and cats) into the Republic of Korea (ROK):

    • Osan Air Force Base – Patriot Express Contracted Flight
      Note: Due to the absence of pet accommodations at Osan Air Base, the Osan Air Base Terminal is unable to accept pets traveling without their owners or a designated representative
      Note: Designated representatives traveling with pets on the PATRIOT EXPRESS must possess a “Designation of Representative for Privately-Owned Small Animal” form signed by the pet owner
    • Incheon International Airport – commercial and cargo arrivals
      Note: Pets traveling without their owner or a designated representative must enter Korea through the Incheon International Airport.

    There are no specific dog restrictions listed entering Korea; however, some airlines have specific guidelines for transporting certain breeds and larger dogs.

    Pet Quarantine - The Quarantine Inspection Agency determines if your pet meets all requirements for entry into Korea. To help avoid quarantine, be sure you have a valid, original rabies certificate, original, current, passing FAVN results; and completed (no empty fields) health certificate (USDA Veterinary Health Certificate for Export of Dogs and Cats from the United States of America to Korea). Follow instructions and checklists listed below in related documents.

    Regulations and requirements can change and Soldiers planning to relocate with pets should review related documents below and the 106th Medical Detachment (Veterinary Service Support) website at: www.korea.amedd.army.mil/veterinary/index.html

    Related Documents

    Related Links

  • Parent Central Services at ACS manages all registrations for CYS. Parents are highly encouraged to complete pre-registration for childcare during in-processing and for your final destination installation.

    CYS Registration Prep

    Get a head start on your children’s CYS Registration before heading overseas.

    To get started:

    Note: Single Soldiers and Dual-Military families must complete and have on file a family care plan within 30 days of arrival into Korean Theater.

    Child and Youth Programs

    The Department of Defense takes great pride in the variety and quality of services provided to children and youth on installations worldwide. While the services provided may vary by location, the standards and quality of services are consistent and meet established regulations.

    Child Development Centers

    Child development centers, or CDCs, generally offer childcare for children ages 6 weeks to 5 years. Care is available Monday through Friday, with some locations offering options, such as extended hours, weekend care and respite care. Child development centers vary in size and larger installations may operate multiple facilities. Programs are certified by the Department of Defense and accredited by a national accrediting body, such as the National Association for the Education of Young Children.

    Family Child Care

    Children ages 6 weeks to 12 years may receive care in the private home of a certified family child care provider living in government-owned or leased housing. Family childcare is typically available weekdays and with additional care provided during evenings, weekends and flexible hourly care for shift work. Regulations limit the number of children who receive care at any one time to no more than six children under age 8 and no more than two children under age 2. Family childcare providers must be certified to operate by the installation. Individual providers may voluntarily seek national accreditation from the National Association of Family Child Care and are provided local support, training, and materials to accomplish this goal.

    School-Age Care Programs

    School-age care programs provide care to children in kindergarten through sixth grade. Care is offered before and after school, during non-school days and summer vacations. School-age care programs may be located in Department of Defense youth centers, child development centers or in other suitable facilities. All programs are certified by the Department of Defense and accredited by a national accrediting body, such as the Council on Accreditation.

    Requesting Child Care

    Military families may request childcare by visiting MilitaryChildCare.com. This Department of Defense website serves all military families seeking childcare (including Child Development Centers, Family Child Care and school age care programs) and provides access to military-operated childcare options worldwide. Families can search and request, manage their request, and update their profile online in order to simplifying the process for finding childcare.

    Youth Programs

    Dynamic programs for youth ages 5 through 18 years are provided in approximately 300 youth and teen program facilities worldwide. A wide variety of offerings include activities in physical fitness and sports, the arts, life skills, career and volunteer opportunities. Installation programs may also collaborate with other youth-serving organizations, like the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and USDA/4-H programs.

  • Household Goods Shipping Process

    The Defense Personal Property System is the online system you will use to request and manage your household goods shipment(s). For how-to guides to assist with this application, go to www.move.mil.

    Arranging Household Goods Shipments

    If you are moving overseas, begin to plan what items will go in unaccompanied baggage (UB), in your household goods shipment (HHG), and remain behind in long-term, Non-Temporary Storage, or NTS. It is helpful to check with your sponsor for recent guidance but here are some general things to consider:

    • Weight allowances are restricted coming to Korea. Command sponsored families are authorized 50% of your normal JTR weight allowance while unaccompanied personnel are authorized only 25%.
    • You will be offered government appliances and furniture; you may select the items to compliment what you send in household goods.
    • Houses in Korea are generally smaller than house in the US. There are very limited storage options in Korea.
    • The electric current in off-post housing may be 220v, 110v or a combination.
    • It normally takes 6 weeks to 3 months for your household goods to arrive and get through customs.
    • There are installation-lending closets to provide basic kitchen essentials prior to your household goods arriving. That does not include linens or pillows. Pack those in your unaccompanied baggage shipment.

    If you know you final destination garrison, you may also choose to research on/off post housing options to help get an idea of size and space configurations at housing.army.mil

    • USAG Humphreys (Area III Pyeongtaek)
    • Daegu-Area IV (Henry & Walker & Carroll)
    • USAG Yongsan (Area II, Seoul)
    • USAG Red Cloud (Area I)
    • Camp Casey (Area 1)
  • Prep your Vehicle for Shipment

    Soldiers must be authorized on their PCS Orders to ship one privately owned vehicle (POV) at government expense. While not recommended, if you intend to ship additional vehicles, these are at your expense and you will need to be authorized by an exception to policy to register more than one SOFA POV. To ship your vehicle overseas, you will need to drop off your vehicle at a Vehicle Processing Center (VPC). To make appointments, learn about shipping, or to track your POV shipment, visit the official PCS My POV.

    PCSmyPOV will have the most up-to-date guidance and regulation but here are some things to consider:

    • Maintenance: Change old batteries, tires, oil, and do general car maintenance before shipping.
    • Clean & Wash: Clean the inside and outside of your vehicle very well a day or so before shipping.
    • Photos & Video: Take clear photos and video of each angle of the exterior and interior of your vehicle, and ensure inspection forms at VPC accurately reflect the condition of your vehicle.
    • Gas Tank: Gas tank must be exactly 1/4 full or less when you turn in your vehicle or they will turn away your car.
    • Remove Personal Items: Take out any personal or non- permanent accessories before dropping off your vehicle.

    NOTE: Find out what damages the vehicle carrier covers and consider buying comprehensive insurance for transit.

    The inspection form is your proof as to the condition of your vehicle prior to shipment. ENSURE THAT IT IS ACCURATE. Don’t feel rushed by inspectors.

    Vehicle Storage

    Vehicle storage may or may not be authorized unless specifically stated in orders. Read your orders carefully and ask beforehand if you are unsure of your entitlements.

    Shipping and Pick-up

    • Arrive on-time to VPC appointment, complete inspection and associated paperwork.
    • Keep your shipping summary and inspection forms - you will need them to pick-up your vehicle at the overseas VPC.
    • You can track your POV by visiting www.pcsmypov.com
    • For POV pickup: visit www.pcsmypov.com and click "pickup" tab where you will find information regarding the oversea VPC location.

    If you need help, you can call DSN 315-756-8700.

  • Driving Privately Owned Vehicles (POV)

    The following personnel (and their U.S. State licensed dependents age 18 or older) are authorized to obtain a POV License after passing the local written exam:

    • Personnel in Command Sponsored status accompanied with family.
    • Personnel in a joint domicile status authorized a POV on their orders.
    • Member of the U.S. Armed Forces in the rank of Sergeant First Class (E-7) or above.
    • Department of the Army civilians in the grade of GS-5 or above and USFK technical representatives.
    • Invited contractors* who have SOFA privileges.
    • Personnel who have a letter of approval by the USAG Humphreys Commander for exception to policy.

    *Invited contractors, their employees (including Koreans) and dependents of contractors who operate a POV in the Republic of Korea, must first obtain a valid ROK Driver's License. To obtain a ROK driver's license, you should have a valid U.S. State driver's license and USFK Form 700-19A-R-E.

    Non-Command Sponsored service members, E-6 and below, require approval from the first O-5 in their chain of command IAW USFK REG 190-1 dated 10 May 2012.

    Licensing Requirements

    All SOFA status USFK military personnel, USFK civilian appropriated and non-appropriated employees, USFK technical representatives, and family members of the aforementioned personnel must possess a USFK Form 134EK (USFK Motor Vehicle Operator’s Permit) to drive POVs on U.S. installations and Korean roadways.

    IAW USFK REG 190-1: All SOFA status military personnel and their family members, civilian appropriated and non-appropriated employees and their family members, and technical representatives and their family members who desire to drive in the ROK and who are qualified under paragraph 2-1d, may use a valid U.S. state driver's license or a valid international driver’s permit as a temporary permit for 30 days after their initial arrival in the ROK to drive POVs on both USFK installations and Korean roadways.

    Motorcycle owners may obtain a 10-day temporary license in order to ride to and attend a MSF course if the owner is already in possession of a valid motorcycle operator’s license or motorcycle endorsement issued by the civil authorities of a country or by a U.S. State or territory of the United States. The 10-day temporary license may be issued five days before the start of the MSF course. If the motorcycle owner is unable to attend the MSF class another temporary license may be issued five days prior to attending a new future MSF course.

    Consult USFK Regulations 190-1 for additional information on Licensing and Operating Requirements for POVs, Implied Consent Provision, Learner’s Permit, Personal chauffeurs, Business chauffeur, Bus License.

    Motor Vehicle Registration

    As a general policy, regardless of SOFA privilege status, only one POV per sponsor may be registered with a USFK motor vehicle recorder. There is generally only one sponsor in a family. Families claiming dual sponsorship will provide the documents used to bring the persons to Korea (orders, employment contract, etc), which will be used to determine who is the sponsor. Where these movement documents authorize shipment of a POV to Korea at no expense to the POV owner, the person will be entitled to register a POV. Requests to register a vehicle by SOFA personnel not identified in paragraph 3-1b or for multiple vehicles within a family must follow procedures established by the Area Commander.

    Safety Inspection Requirements

    All POVs will undergo a safety inspection before registration. Vehicle Emission Testing will be incorporated as a component of the Safety Inspection. POVs must undergo safety inspection and emission testing every two years IAW USFK Pamphlet 200-1.

    Insurance Requirements

    1. Documentation of insurance, in the amount specified below, is required, as of this regulation date, for registration, and the owner must maintain insurance for the period he owns the vehicle. Following are minimum insurance requirements: Korean Won (KRW) 120,000,000 to cover liability resulting from bodily injury or death of any one person. KRW 10,000,000 property damage liability per accident.
    2. Insurance coverage can be obtained from either a ROK company or a U.S.-based company. However, the company must extend coverage to vehicles operated in the ROK and be represented in the ROK by an agent accredited by the ROK Government. Policies must be written to provide coverage against liability incurred by any authorized driver of the insured vehicle.
    3. Documentation of insurance, in the amount specified below, is required as of this regulation date, for registration. The owner is required to maintain valid insurance as long as he/she owns the vehicle.
    4. SOFA POV operators must obtain liability insurance in an amount not less than the minimum coverage in ROK law (currently 100,000,000 KRW). Persons who fail to maintain minimum liability insurance may be punished by licenses suspension or other administrative criminal sanctions.
    5. The level of coverage is subject to change IAW ROK law. Minimum coverage WILL ALWAYS be IAW ROK law.

    Related Documents

  • All Soldiers are eligible to receive a free P.O. Box address at their primary installation. This can be set up during in-processing the Soldier’s final destination installation. APO P.O. Box functions just like a regular US Mailing address with only minor restrictions.

    • Prior to departing the losing installation, Service members and their family should place a mail-hold action with the USPS and/or with unit mailroom.
    • Upon receipt of P.O. Box the Soldier and their family will complete a mail-forward action and/or change of address form with the USPS or unit mail room.

    Additional instructions, restrictions, and recommendations are available at: www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-dpo.htm

  • Families with school-age children relocating to Korea receive a world-class education. From the earliest grade levels through high school graduation, students enrolled at DoDEA Korea schools take part in an exciting blend of academic, social, cultural, and extra-curricular experiences that prepare them for college and career success.

    Top 3 things that families need to do before they PCS:

    1. Make sure all immunizations are up to date and recorded.
    2. Collect all school records and any other pertinent information.
    3. If your child has an IEP or a 504 plan, please ensure you bring that to the school.

    DoDEA Korea is committed to providing the same quality and continuity of education that you are familiar with and works closely with other installation services to minimize the impact on parents and students. Parents should make certain preparations prior to the PCS move to make transition as seamless as possible for your school-age child(ren).

    Youth Sponsorship Programs are available for middle school (6th-8th grade) and high school (9th-12th grade) students through the various DODEA schools in addition to Child and Youth Services (CYS) programs. To request a sponsor, visit the School Liaison Officer (SLO) webpage page for USAG Humphreys or USAG Daegu and scroll down to Youth Sponsorship and Transition Support.

    The CYS SLO, as a branch of Child and Youth Services (CYS), helps deliver the best educational resources and information for your children. We specialize in education transitions and make sure incoming and exiting families have information about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school services/programs, youth sponsorship programs and home schooling. We also help parents better understand the education process, school organization and integration strategies.

    Parents should review and complete preparations outlined on the DoDEA, Pacific West District website, as it provides guidance on the following:

    • What you need to know about school registration
    • Requirements to Attend a DoDEA School
    • Documentation of Proof of Eligibility
    • Register the Student
    • Parental Involvement
    • Food Services
    • Transportation

    Camp Humphrey's School Liaison Officer (SLO) email address for requesting a youth sponsor:


    USAG Daegu and Area IV School Liaison Officer (SLO) email address for requesting a youth sponsor:


    Osan AB Schools

    USAG Daegu - Camp George

    USAG Daegu - Camp Walker

    USAG Humphreys Schools

    Related Links

  • Legal Offices and JAG personnel at each installation provide professional, ethical, accurate, and timely legal advice and services to the commanders, Soldiers, family members, and qualified civilian employees.

    Legal Services

    • Legal services offered throughout Korea:
    • Divorce/Separation
    • Adoption
    • Military Support Obligation
    • Child Support
    • Tenant/Landlord issues
    • SCRA
    • Immigration/Naturalization
    • Dependency
    • Bankruptcy, Debt collection/credit reporting problems
    • Identity theft
    • Child Custody
    • Tax Questions
    • Bar to Re-Enlistment
    • FLIPL & GOMOR Defense
    • Security clearance rebuttals and appeals

    Document Preparation:

    • Power of Attorney (Special or General)
    • Advance medical directives and health care powers of attorney
    • Affidavit
    • Will Documents, and Estate planning
    • Separation Agreements

    What is a Power of Attorney (POA)?

    A Power of Attorney is a written instrument that allows you (the "principal") to authorize someone else (your "agent" or "attorney-in-fact") to act on your behalf and carry on your business in your absence. For example, you might wish to allow a friend to sell your car or ship your household goods. Never have a POA unless you need one and always try to make it a Special POA.

    Are there different kinds of POAs?

    There are two basic types of powers of attorney:

    • General POA: A general POA allows an agent to do most things that you could legally do yourself, from obtaining a loan to signing a rental contract
    • Special POA: A special (or limited) POA only allows an agent to perform specified acts. Never use a general POA when a special POA can be used.

    NOTE: Your Soldier must be present to sign a POA in the presence of the notary, but you (the “agent”) do not.

    Military Spouses, PCSing & POAs

    It’s a safe bet that you’ll need a POA at some point during your PCS to handle matters when your Soldier isn’t able to. The pace of in-processing in Korea is fast, so consider getting POAs BEFORE PCSing to arrive better prepared. Consult your Legal Office.

    Here a few instances when you might need a POA:

    • Ship, pick up, or register a vehicle overseas
    • Set up banking & manage finances
    • Sign leases and housing documents

    When does a Power of Attorney expire?

    The expiration date of a POA should be specified in the document and never made indefinite. Regardless of an expiration date, however, POAs automatically terminate when revoked or when either you or your agent die (unless a substitute agent is named).

    Want to work overseas?

    Command Sponsored dependents stationed overseas must abide by the employment regulations set forth in the Statute of Forces Agreement (SOFA). Contact your Legal Assistance Office for details.

  • In 2003, President Bush signed the Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA) into law that replaced and expanded the former Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act (SSCRA) from 1940.

    The SCRA offers many protections to Activity Duty Service members ranging from mortgages to interest rates. The SCRA can come into play in matters relating to:

    • Banking
    • Foreclosures & Mortgages
    • Auto loans
    • Leases & Contracts
    • Legal Proceedings
    • Family Law Considerations
    • Taxation
    • Voting

    SCRA Resources

    For a summary of SCRA protections visit: Military OneSource

    More detailed information on SCRA protections visit: Military Officer’s Association of America (MOAA)

    If you need to learn more or are unsure about SCRA protections and whether they might apply to your family prior to or during an OCONUS PCS or deployment, contact your Legal Assistance Office.


    International plans from most US Cell Phone providers are not practical while stationed in Korea. Many current cellular or smart phones, if unlocked, will work on a Korea Cellular network. There are several ways to acquire a local Korean SIM card. We highly recommend going through the AAFES PX mobile phone service desk or the USO Cellular Service Kiosk depending on your final destination installation.

    For a phone to work in Korea, it needs to satisfy these requirements:

    1. Be unlocked – some most companies sell phones with software that prevents them from recognizing another company’s SIM card. Contact your cellular network provider before you leave the US to determine if you phone is unlocked.
    2. Have a SIM card slot – certain US and Canadian providers, running CDMA networks, sell unique versions of certain phones that have no SIM card slot to prevent customers from taking their phones to other networks
    3. Support LTE data (latest generation smart phones) that operates on bands 3, 8, and 26 in Korea. If your phone does not support one of these bands, it should still connect at 3G speeds using the WCDMA 2100 MHz frequency.
    4. Support WCDMA 2100 MHz frequencies – this is most important, as this is the frequency band that most Korean networks run their 3G networks on; this capability is inherent to the phone.

    Keeping in touch abroad:

    While a local Korean cell number is recommended for communicating within South Korea, international plans are not practical. Service members and their families should explore the variety of other options to communicate abroad or back to the US. Many Soldiers and family members abroad find it convenient to utilize third party applications for audio or video chat functions. Below is a list of commonly used applications your family can explore to determine what will work best for your situation in order to stay in touch and communicate:

    • KakaoTalk – text, video and call (used extensively in South Korea by everyone)
    • Skype – text, call, video chat
    • Facetime – video chat (Apple only)
    • Facebook messenger – text, call, video
    • Voxer – text, walkie-talkie
    • Viber – text, call
    • WhatsApp – text, call, video
    • This list is not all-inclusive and new applications are available everyday. You should communicate with your TASP sponsor for guidance on the latest applications Soldiers and families are using to stay connected abroad.

    Dialing Instructions: To/From Korea

    Calling DSN Numbers From State Side

    • To call Korea from the US: 011-82 + area code minus '0' number: 011-82-31-619-XXXX (for a 754 prefix), 011-82-31-690-XXXX (for a 753 prefix)
    • USFK infor.mation from the U.S. (commercial): 011-82-2-7913-1110 or 1113
    • The area code is not needed for local calls, unless using a cell phone.
    • To call a commercial number from a DSN line, first dial '99'.
    • Do NOT accept collect calls on a DSN line

    Calling DSN Numbers In Korea

    • To dial a DSN number from a civilian phone: FOR DSN 753 PREFIX dial 0503-353-XXXX, FOR DSN 754 PREFIX dial 0503-354-XXXX, FOR DSN 755 PREFIX dial 0503-355-XXXX, FOR DSN 756 PREFIX dial 0503-356-XXXX
    • To dial an Air Force Installation you must dial a civilian prefix: Osan AB dial 0505-XXX-XXXX, Osan AB Operator number: 0505-784-1110

    Anatomy Of An International Phone Number

    • To dial a DSN number from a civilian phone
    • 011 = International call from the U.S.
    • 82 = Country Code
    • City Code: Buson = 51, Daegu = 53, Seoul = 2, Pyeongtaek/Osan = 31, Cell phones = 10 or 11
    • Number is typically an eight digit number
    • Google: "South Korea Telephone country codes" for more city codes.

    Calling Korean Cell Phone Numbers From The US

    • To call a cell phone, if the number is "010-1234-5678" Dial, 011-82-10-1234-5678
    • Cell phone prefixes are 010 or 011, drop the first number in the three digit prefix before adding it to "011-82"
  • For many Soldiers and families they will find themselves on the economy for travel, entertainment, and dining. While most businesses will accept bank debit and credit cards, some vendors operate on local currency, cash only. Typically, larger box stores and shopping malls will accept debit and credit cards while smaller shops, restaurants, and street vendors will be cash only. It is recommend carrying some cash in local currency if you plan to shop on the economy. During your PCS into Korea, there is not a direct need to interact on the economy, as you will be moving from airport directly to a military installation.

    Financial Institutions

    Several major financial institutions support Soldier and families throughout South Korea that include:

    Foreign Transaction Fees

    When deployed or with a copy of OCONUS PCS Orders, some banks will eliminate the foreign currency transaction fee on credit and/or debit cards (usually 1-2% of purchase price). Contact your bank to learn more.

    Exchange Rates (USD to WON)

    Most ATMs on US installation will dispense USD or WON. You can select that option from the on-screens menu. You will be accepting the ATM Banks currency exchange rate. You can elect to withdraw USD and exchange currency on the economy. Most based have well known off-post vendors that provide currency conversion at a reduce exchange rate than larger financial institutions. Many websites and applications provide real-time exchange rates.

    Chip Credit or Debit Cards

    Chip credit cards are more convenient for you when traveling overseas because some merchants and kiosks no longer accept traditional magnetic-stripe credit cards. However, most merchants can still process your magnetic-stripe card manually by swiping the card.

    You always can use an ATM to withdraw cash if the merchant doesn't accept the magnetic-stripe cards. Chip-and-PIN technology provides stronger protection against "skimming," a technique in which criminals copy the data from a card's magnetic stripe and use it to create a duplicate or counterfeit card. When a retailer uses a chip-enabled terminal, the chip technology helps prevent theft of account information.

    NOTE: Most retail establishments and hotels in South Korea accept traditional magnetic credit cards. However, some stand-alone kiosks, shops, and street venders may be cash only.

  • Need additional information for getting ready to PCS to Korea? Check out these links to help you get moving in the right direction.

    Preparing for Your Move

    Family and Children

    Facebook Pages and Groups

    Exercise OPSEC and do not post names, units, locations, or travel timeframes of Soldiers or family members.

    Official Government Pages and Groups



    Unofficial Government Pages and Groups

After Arrival

  • All Soldiers will conduct movement to Camp Humphreys to complete a 5-Day in-processing program. All Soldiers and family members will spend the first 5 to 8 days at Camp Humphreys to complete theater in-processing.

    If you encounter any issues during travel or upon arrival, you will contact the 19th Human Resources Company Front Desk at Camp Humphreys:

    Commercial (Korea): 010-6497-1260
    Calling from the US: 011-82-106-497-1260

    Commercial Arrivals – Military and Civilians

    If you arrive by a commercial airline, you will land at Incheon International Airport, located approximately 50 km west of Seoul. There are four stages to getting through Incheon airport and the process can last an hour or more, especially if travelling with pets. Follow any USFK signs posted directing you to the proper direction.

    After disembarking the airplane, make your way toward “Baggage Claim and Immigration.” The first stage will be health declaration. Fill out the form provided on the flight beforehand and present it to the Korean health declaration employees.

    Next is Immigration. Remove any hats and/or sunglasses you may be wearing. Present required documents to the immigration officer. No-Fee Passports will be stamped with a 30-day tourist visa, unless an A-3 visa already exists. See Passports, SOFA Stamps & A-3 Visa. You will need the Customs Declaration and Arrival Card you filled out on the plane as well as your military ID or passport for civilians. Go to the “Foreigner Passport” line. Service members only need their military ID card and orders ready. Family members will need either their military dependent ID or passport and be listed on the orders. If traveling TDY to South Korea, have a copy of your TDY orders and military ID or passport.

    After Immigration, proceed to the Baggage Claim area. Once you collect your baggage, proceed through the Customs area and into the arrival terminal. Look for the USFK reception desk (See graphic).

    USFK reception desk
    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

    At the desk, present your military ID and orders to the Soldiers and they will put you on a bus to Camp Humphreys where you will in-process.

    USFK reception desks are in both arrival areas in Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. There are bathroom facilities and convenience stores nearby inside to buy refreshments and snacks while waiting for the bus. Most restaurants and stores take American credit/debit cards, however travelers should notify their banks of their travel plans ahead of time to make sure their cards are not blocked due to suspected suspicious overseas activity.

    Recommend using the restroom facilities before boarding the bus for the approximately 1.5- to 2.5-hour bus ride to Camp Humphreys.

    Patriot Express Arrivals

    If arriving by Patriot Express, your primary port of arrival into the Republic of Korea will be the Osan Air Base Passenger terminal located in Area 3 within the city of Pyeongtaek. Patriot Express is a USTRANSCOM and Air Mobility Command commercial air contracted service.

    Arriving passengers will be received U.S. Air Force personnel and escorted through the immigration, customs process. Arriving personnel will be met by members of 19th Human Resources Company that will coordinate and escort during onward movement to Camp Humphreys for in-processing.

    If you arrive via SPACE-A travel or other military airlift you are going to be escorted from aircraft to the Osan Passenger Terminal. It is recommended that you coordinate these travel arrangements ahead of time with both 19th Human Resource Company and your sponsor. If you arrive unplanned, utilize a passenger terminal DSN phone and contact 19th HRC at 010-6497-1260. In extreme off-hours, Osan Airbase does have military lodging at Turumi Lodge, reservations can be made by calling DSN 784-1844. If you’re in Korea, the local number is 0505-784-1844. To call from the states, dial 011-82-505-784-1844 or email us at turumilodge.reservat@us.af.mil. Anticipate lodging for one night and onward movement will take place the next day to Camp Humphreys. Do not take a taxi to an off-post hotel without notifying 19th HRC.

    Arriving to Osan with Pets

    Pets (dogs and cats) may enter or depart from the Republic of Korea aboard Patriot Express at the Osan Air Base Terminal.

    Due to the absence of pet accommodations at Osan Air Base, the Osan Air Base Terminal is unable to accept pets traveling without their owners or a designated representative.

    Designated representatives traveling with pets on the Patriot Express must possess a “Designation of Representative for Privately-Owned Small Animal” form signed by the pet owner.

    Pets will travel with Soldier and family members onboard the bus, however they must remain inside their cage/crate throughout the trip.

    Any large pets (typically over 50 pounds) will require the Soldier to make separate coordination with their unit sponsor to pick up the pet as it is likely to no fit in the baggage section of the charter bus.

    Read more about traveling with pets here.

  • Childcare during in-processing is very limited and contingent upon available spaces in CYS and having a completed registration and enrollment package.

    Parent Central Services is here to help get the required information for your child to be enrolled in Child and Youth Services (CYS). For your child to participate in any CYS program on USAG Humphreys, he/she must be registered. We can help you get this accomplished when you stop by, but please ensure that you have proper documents on hand. It is preferred to fill out in advance.

    Soldier and family activities available during in-processing

    • USO (BLDG S354). Open M-F 8am – 8pm or Sat and Sunday from 9am – 6pm. They have TV’s, Skype phones and cell phone vender.
    • Library (BLDG 2200). Open M-T 11am – 8pm, and W-Sun 10am – 7pm. Look in the Humphreys Happenings for daytime children's programs.
    • Arts and Crafts (BLDG 5711). Open Wed-Sun 11am – 7pm, has lunchtime craft programs every day.
    • The Outdoor Pool is open during the summer, located behind the Flightline Restaurant. It has a water park as well as an Olympic size outdoor pool.
    • Freedom Park behind the new Lodging building (open field).
    • Beacon Park near the main gate has disc golf.
    • Super Gym play ground has several jungle gyms.
    • There are green areas from the Super gym to the PX and Lt. Gen. Timothy J. Maude Hall along the water canal.
    • There are two movie theaters, one by the PX and one by the Warrior zone. Movie schedule is on the USAG-H app.
    • Post Exchange (bldg. 5700).
    • Commissary (BLDG 5730).
    • Chapel has a variety of Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Latter Day Saints and 7th day Adventist services.
    • There is a free on-post bus available. Schedule is available on the USAG-H application. Normally the bus comes every 15 minutes on duty days and 30 minutes after duty hours.

    Related Documents

  • The attached handbook is designed by 176th Financial Management to provide you with an understanding of military pay entitlements and allowances related to service in The Korean Theater of Operations (KTO) during armistice. It contains a brief explanation of each entitlement or allowance, who is eligible to receive it, and the applicable amount(s). No quick reference handbook can answer all questions for all situations, and this is not the intent. You should direct questions concerning individual situations and unique circumstances to your Unit S1 and/or the 176th Financial Management Support Unit. Contact information for servicing finance detachment is located within the Korea Entitlement handbook.

    The presence of an entitlement or allowance in this handbook does not guarantee that every Soldier in the KTO is authorized to receive the entitlement or allowance. To qualify for an entitlement or allowance, each Soldier must meet the criteria governed by the applicable regulation and be able to substantiate with applicable documentation prior to receipt of payment.

    Army Emergency Relief (AER ) Visit ACS for info

    AER can provide financial assistance to Active Duty Soldiers, retirees, and their spouse and dependents for relocation travel, funerals, car repair, utilities, medical care, etc. Visit AER at ACS for info. Assistance includes:

    • Interest-free loan (monthly repayment required)
    • Grant (no repayment required)
    • Combination of interest-free loan and grant

    Related Documents

  • Travel Reimbursements

    Travel Allowances: Keep the Receipts!

    During in-processing your Soldier will fill out a Travel Voucher for certain reimbursable expenses. Funds are direct deposited in 10 days to GTCC or bank account.

    Finance documents for In-processing:

    • 2 copies PCS Orders, with Amendments
    • 2 copies DA 31 (Leave Form) must have blocks 14a-c & 16a-c filled out
    • 2 copies Pin-Point Orders from MPD
    • 2 copies TDY Orders - 1610 (if applicable) Graduation Certificate, 1059 or
    • Letter or release from course
    • Receipts for Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)
    • Supporting documents for vehicle (VPC, vehicle storage
    • Any receipts over $75 (All lodging and transportation receipts - airfare, excess baggage, etc

    Submitted on Travel Voucher

    • Dislocation Allowance (DLA) Rate: DLA covers part of the cost of moving. DLA is based on rank and dependents. Soldiers in barracks don’t get DLA. Click here for current rate.
    • Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE): TLE reimburses up to 5 days of CONUS gov’t lodging & meals within vicinity of current duty station during a PCS. Click here for current rate. Click here to calculate.
    • Meals & Incidentals (ME/I): Number of days of ME/I depends on your travel situation. Generally: Soldier, Spouse and Dependents 12+ receive 75% of ME/I rate. Dependents under 12 receive 50% of Soldier’s ME/I. Click here for current rate.
    • Reimbursable Expenses (Check with TMO for details): Reimbursable expenses include flights, mileage and tolls to go to airport or ship POV, or approved excess baggage fees. Keep receipts. Expenses associated with rental cars or pet travel (vet, flight, pet hotel fees) are not reimbursed.

    Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) Rate

    TLA reimburses Soldiers for OCONUS government lodging and meals during a PCS. TLA is a separate reimbursement based on paperwork submitted to Finance.

    TLA Reimbursement Process

    Soldiers authorized TLA must sign in upon arrival and submit paperwork for every 10 nights of lodging to be reimbursed for meal and/or lodging costs.

    How do we pay for all our travel?

    If your family needs financial assistance to help pay for travel expenses before your Soldier is reimbursed, check out these options:

    Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC)

    All Soldiers on official government travel will be issued a GTCC through their losing unit for permissible expenses (see Appendix G of JTR Manual) while on official travel orders. GTCCs may not be used while on leave status.

    Base Pay Advance

    Review all options before taking a PCS pay advance. Within 60 days of arrival, Soldiers may qualify for an advance of up to 1 month of disposable pay (after allotments, taxes, and deductions). This must be paid back within 12 months.

  • Transportation

    Pets will be transported from the airport/PAX terminal to Camp Humphreys on the bus with their owners. All pets must remain in their carrier throughout the trip.


    Hotel Accommodations

    While staying in lodging, you will have your pet in your room with you. Be sure to plan for food, water, and bathroom breaks.

    Installations across Korea have many walking trails and parks that can make for a great way for Soldiers and families to get out and acclimate. This also serves to get your pet acclimated as well. Be sure to clean up after your pet. If you haven’t checked out our traveling with pets page, go here:


    Pet care and Kenneling:

    • Dog Town Club and Showroom Grooming 010-4000-9614
    • Pet Care Center, Yongsan; DSN 315-736-6426 or COMM 82(0)50-3336-6426
    • All Paws Osan Pet Care, Osan Air Base: DSN 315-784-4314 or COMM 82(0)10-5663-1304


    SOFA status personnel are required to register each domestic pet in their possession, at the appropriate Veterinary Treatment Facility, within 10 duty days of arrival on the Korean peninsula or upon the acquisition of the pet. They are also required to notify their installation housing office of their pet ownership within the same time frame.

    Registration consists of creating a veterinary treatment record DD Form 2343 (Veterinary Health Record) with proof of rabies virus vaccination and proof of microchip implantation (as applicable). There are three military veterinary clinics on the peninsula where you may register your pet. You must register your pet in-person.

  • Soldiers and Family Members receive medical and dental care in both military treatment facilities and host-nation facilities upon referral from their primary care manager. All eligible patients receive access to high quality health care governed by DoD and TRICARE regulations and guidelines. Access to care has been designed to support active duty dependents to help them obtain care easily, and thus make it possible for active duty members to perform their military service without worrying about health care for their dependents. The priority of care is based on the following categories:

    • Priority 1: Active-duty service members;
    • Priority 2: Active-duty family members who are enrolled in Tricare Prime;
    • Priority 3: Retirees, their family members and survivors who are enrolled in Tricare Prime;
    • Priority 4: Active-duty family members who are not enrolled in Tricare Prime;
    • Priority 5: All other eligible persons.

    It is also important to manage expectations, as there are sometimes limited specialty providers. You can generally expect to obtain an appointment for an acute/same day care within 24 hours. Emergency care is available at several nearby hospitals.

    • Open Access - same calendar day
    • Routine - 7 calendar days
    • Wellness (physicals and well woman exams) - 28 calendar days
    • Specialty Care - 28 calendar days
    • Dental Routine - 21 calendar days

    Please click on links for additional information.



    Tricare Interpreter

    Navigating Korean hospitals without understanding the language can make things challenging. Feel free to call Tricare's 24/7 language interpretation service at 080-429-0880. Select option 1 and ask for an interpreter.

    TRICARE Overseas: Beneficiaries can download the MyCareOverseas App for information and assistance with Host Nation Hospital care and referrals.

  • International SOS Number for TRICARE Overseas: 080-429-0880

    Medical In-Processing

    To ensure your Soldier and family are enrolled in TRICARE to receive healthcare in South Korea:

    1. Your Soldier will need a copy of PCS Orders to complete TRICARE Enrollment forms during in-processing.

    Submit all medical and dental records during in-processing.

    1. TIP: Soldiers and dependents can receive a copy of their medical file once per year from Medical Records.
    2. Medical Briefing during in-processing.

    Self-Care at On-Post Pharmacy

    Need an over-the-counter medicne for a minor issue? Grab a number at the installation Clinic’s pharmacy and a pharmacist will help take care of you. No appointment needed!

    Emergency Room Services & Off-Post Medical Care

    Korean Hospitals serve as the emergency medical facilities for the U.S. military communities. Nearly all hospitals have English speaking patient liaisons to assist during any hospital visits. Soldiers and families are provided a local map and contacts in the event of an emergency during in-processing.

    Dental Care

    Keep Dependent Dental Insurance

    All dependent (adult and pediatric) dental care at the Army Dental Clinic is on a space-available basis. As such, many dependents see local dentists. So, keep or enroll your family in TRICARE Dental insurance to ensure your family has access to care when they need it.

    Dependent Dental Care

    On-post: Call the Dental Clinic for availability.

    Off-post: No referral is needed to use TRICARE insurance for dental treatment (except orthodontics). Ask the dental Clinic or search on Find A Dentist-OCONUS.

    Dental Sick Call & Emergencies

    Emergent Dental Need: Dental Clinic during Sick Call hours (e.g. severe tooth pain, chipped tooth, etc.)

    True Dental Emergency: Dental Clinic (immediate care) (e.g. permanent tooth loss, oral bleeding, mouth swelling)

    Dental + Medical Emergency: ER or call 911 (e.g. head injury, trouble breathing, nausea/vomiting)

    Orthodontic Care

    Orthodontic treatment

    Orthodontic treatment at the Dental Clinic is only available on a Space-A basis for Active Duty Soldiers and dependent children. Soldiers and children arriving in South Korea with orthodontic appliances or braces are not guaranteed on-post treatment. (Active Duty Soldiers treated by another military orthodontist are usually approved for on-post care.) Most patients receive off-post referrals to start or continue care at their expense.

    TIP: Learn about your ortho benefits OCONUS (50%) vs. CONUS (25%) in the TRICARE Dental Benefit Booklet.


    Eye Care

    Army Optometry Clinic

    The Optometry Clinic at Army Health Clinics provides routine eye exams for dependents. However, TRICARE does cover eye exams from qualified overseas optometrists with a primary care referral. If you require additional optometry services aside from those listed below, you may be referred.

    Bring the following to an eye exam:

    • Current prescription glasses
    • Contact lenses and box (or current prescription)

    Optometry Services

    *TRICARE covers glasses/contacts for certain conditions.

    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

    Contact Lenses

    To receive a new prescription for contact lenses, you must first schedule an eye exam at the Optometry Clinic where the optometrist will provide you with a set of trial contact lenses. You must return to the Clinic for a follow up appointment to receive your final prescription.

    Soldiers, Be Green On MEDPROS!

    To ensure your Soldier is medically fit for trainings and deployments, he or she must be “green” (up-to-date) on “MEDPROS” (Medical Protection System). This means your Soldier has the necessary medical equipment (eyewear, etc.) to fulfill his or her job responsibilities.

    During in-processing, your Soldier needs to visit the Health Clinic, including Optometry, to receive any necessary medpros.

    Related links

  • Are you and your family curious about on-post housing on U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys in South Korea? Capt. Stephen Echols and his wife, Emily, shed light about their life in the Apache Tower family housing complex on base. (Video produced by 20th Public Affairs Detachment)

    Housing assignments are determined at the final destination installation based on the military sponsor’s rank and family size. Housing options include low-rise apartments, town houses, duplex homes, and single-family homes that generally range from two to five bedrooms. On and off-post housing in Korea is comparable to or better than housing at military bases throughout the world, and most places in Korea are new construction.

    Soldiers with families at USAG-H can expect to stay in hotel lodging until they relocate to permanent housing. Soldiers on an unaccompanied tour can expect to transition to senior living quarters (SLQ) or off-post housing if authorized; after completing in-processing.

    During in-processing Soldiers and families will receive a briefing from the Housing Office on the availability of houses on-post based on the following guidance:

    1. Unaccompanied tour: SFC to LTCs are assigned to SLQs if available. If not, the housing office will provide guidance on off-post housing process.
    2. Accompanied (Command-sponsored): When you have orders, the housing office will begin allocating quarters according to your rank. You cannot request off-post housing unless on-post housing is 95% filled. To request off-post housing, you will need an Exception to Policy (ETP) signed by Garrison commander.
    3. Housing availability: If housing is not available on post you will receive guidance from the Installation Housing Office to the approved list of realtors to assist you in finding a home. Many realtors can assist you with finding a home that will fit your needs.
    4. Furniture: If command-sponsored, Housing has almost everything you need for your apartment. You can bring your own furniture; just keep in mind that the apartments are not “American-sized” and there may not be storage rooms for your excess.
    5. More Information: Camp Humphreys Housing Information Sheet [PDF - 145.4 KB]

    Application for Army Family Housing via Email

    To apply for family housing send "ALL" the below document to USAG Housing Office to receive your housing availability projection/option to:

    You will receive an email from the Housing Office within 48 hours letting you know your housing option.

    Related Links

  • When you arrive in South Korea, you must coordinate for UB/HHG delivery:

    • Log in to Defense Personal Property System and update your contact information: Korean cell phone number and verify email address.
    • Once the UB/HHG is on-hand at the agent company's warehouse, the company will contact you by phone or email.
    • When contacted, set up delivery appointment with the agent company directly.
    • If you are not ready to receive your UB/HHG, the agent company will store your UB/HHG for 90 days at government expense.

    If you need further assistance or additional storage, contact the installations transportation office.

    • Pyongtaek: DSN 315-757-2455/2454
    • Seoul: 315-756-3604/3608
    • Tongduchon: 315-730-3321
    • Daegu: 315-763-0715

Civilian and Reserve Support

  • There are unique opportunities for Reserve component Soldiers to continue serving in the US Army Reserve while living in Korea. Two Army Reserve units permanently stationed at Camp Humphreys in South Korea work together with Active Component and Republic of Korea Army forces to maintain readiness in defense of the Pacific. Supporting real world missions while adhering to the highest levels of readiness, an assignment with either the 658 Regional Support Group or USARPAC-SU Korea Detachment is filled with unique experiences for Army Reserve Soldiers.

    Living in Korea also provides TPU Army Reserve assignment opportunities in Japan, Guam, and other 9th Mission Support Command units across the Pacific.

    For more information about joining an Army Reserve unit located in Asia, email USArmyReserveAsia@army.mil.

    658 Regional Support Group, HHC

    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

    The 658 Regional Support Command, HHC is a O6-level headquarters element that manages the logistical support of personnel and equipment.Its mission is to support the Reception, Staging, and Onward Movement of personnel on and off the Korean peninsula, to include base defense. It has an ongoing training partnership with ROK Army’s reserve component, Mobilization Force Command, and regularly conducts partnered training and missions with them, and other US Active Duty partners under the 19th Expeditionary Sustainment Command.

    USARPAC-Supporting Units

    USARPAC-SU provides Battle Staff capabilities and Military History/Public Affairs that reinforces USARPAC ability to conduct of Unified Land Operations (ULO) throughout the Pacific. The USARPAC-SU Korea Detachment trains with and augments 8th Army’s Noncombatant Evacuation Operations (NEO) efforts. In Japan, USARPAC-SU Japan Detachment similarly supports US Army Japan’s NEO.

    9th Mission Support Command

    The 9th Missions Support Command (MSC), stationed at Fort Shafter Flats on Oahu, Hawaii, is the U. S. Army Reserve (USAR) Command of the Pacific under the operational control of the U.S Army Pacific Command (USARPAC). The 9th MSC is provides capability and trained and ready forces to oversees contingency operations. It is the most geographically dispersed Army Reserve command in the Army Reserve, operating across seven time zones, spread throughout three countries, three states, and three American territories.

    9th MSC Public Site: https://www.usar.army.mil/9thMSC/

Korea Army Garrisons

The following map tool will connect you to each garrison where you can learn about the programs and services offered in your future community. Many programs offer separate webpages to manage event calendars and activity schedules. You should take some time to navigate and explore. If you have any questions about services, programs, or activities prior to arrival you should contact your TASP unit sponsor.

The strength of our nation is our Army. The strength of our Army is our Soldiers. The strength of our Soldiers is in our families. Taking care of our Soldiers, Families, and Civilians is an enduring Army priority.


  • Soldiers, Civilians and Families stationed in the Republic of Korea enjoy a dynamic, family-friendly assignment that is personally and professionally rewarding.

    This is an exciting time to be a Pacific Victor as Eighth Army moves toward a future that ensures we are postured to continue our enduring legacy of service in the Republic of Korea. Eighth Army has undergone the most sweeping transformation in our organization’s history to consolidate the bulk of our operations at two enduring hubs south of Seoul.

    An investment of approximately $10.7 billion has expanded U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys near Pyeongtaek from 1,200 to over 3,500 acres. Soldiers, Civilians and Families stationed here now live and work in one of the Army’s flagship garrison communities with access to a wide array of services and amenities.

    Further south, U.S. Army Garrison Daegu has the largest footprint in Korea, encompassing almost half of the country. USAG Daegu manages base operations on six U.S. Army installations and 11 sites in Area IV, stretching from Daejeon to Busan. As an enduring hub on the peninsula, USAG Daegu also provides support to the U.S. Navy at Fleet Activities Jinhae and the U.S. Marine Corps at Camp Mujuk in Pohang.

    North of Seoul, Camp Casey remains as the Army’s main garrison close to the Demilitarized Zone. Soldiers assigned there are unaccompanied and the post mainly supports U.S. Army combat brigades on rotation from the continental United States. The camp has the normal variety of garrison facilities and amenities, and is located in Dongducheon city, which is about a 45-minute drive to Seoul. A train ride is about one hour.

    In addition to state-of-the-art facilities, a duty assignment to South Korea offers Soldiers a great opportunity to excel in the profession of arms preparing to defend against both conventional and unconventional threats through combined training with our Korean counterparts. The 2nd Infantry Division/ROK-U.S. Combined Division is the core ground force with ROK and U.S. Army officers functioning as an integrated command team. The combined division is an evolutionary step for our alliance and provides Army officers with a unique training experience.

    As the Department of Defense continues its rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region, Eighth Army will be one of the primary destinations for the latest in warfighting equipment.

    With one of the Army’s premier garrison environments and a vibrant cultural experience just outside the gate, South Korea is one of the Army’s best duty stations for military families. The DoDEA School System on the Korean Peninsula provides students with an exciting blend of academic, social, cultural and extracurricular experiences that prepare them for success later on in life. Outside of duty hours, families have the opportunity to explore a modern nation, renowned for its rich cultural history and aesthetic beauty.

    With all of the benefits that Soldiers, Civilians and Family Members serving in Eighth Army have at their disposal it is easy to see why the “Land of the Morning Calm” is one of the Army’s most popular destinations. To learn more about why South Korea is the Army’s best kept secret take time to explore some of the related links on this page or ask your career counselor for more information.

    Pacific Victors!

  • Welcome to Eighth Army!

    Our goal is to provide some resources to family members who consider employment opportunities while living in Korea.

    There are several different avenues of employment throughout Korea. These include Appropriate (APF) and Non-Appropriate (NAF) funded federal positions, invited contractor positions, Korean National positions, and other employment opportunities in the local economy.

    Military Spouse Preference

    You are eligible for this hiring category if you are a spouse of active members of the Military Services (including the U.S. Coast Guard and full-time Reserve or National Guard) when you apply for all positions in the commuting area of the new duty station being filled under competitive procedures within the Department of Defense (DoD).


    Preference can be granted only once per Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move. Preference terminates when you accept OR decline a continuing permanent position without the time limitation. You must physically be at the foreign post to receive preference or 30 days prior to the report date for overseas assignment.

    Required Documents:

    • Copy of the sponsor’s PCS orders
    • Current application or resume
    • Proof of relationship if not listed on orders

    Military Spouse Preference

    You are eligible for this hiring category if you are a spouse, domestic partner or unmarried dependent child younger than 23 who:

    • Lives with a sponsor, who is a active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces or U.S. civilian employees of U.S. Government agencies assigned in Korea and;
    • Has not accepted or declined a permanent position or a temporary position of more than one year or longer within the same commuting area of your sponsor’s new permanent duty station.

    Family members with non-US citizenship who meet the requirement above may search and apply for available Korean Local National positions in accordance with USFK Reg 690-1.

    Family Preference does NOT apply to:

    • Employment with the Defense Intelligence Components. DoDI 1400.25-V1232, January 5, 2011
    • Full performance level positions covered by mandatory mobility agreements.
    • Employment of educators by the DoD Education Activity.
    • Family members of locally hired Federal civilian employees.
    • Family members of Korean national employees.
    • DoD positions in foreign areas for which appointing authority is held by non-DoD agencies.

    Required Supporting Documents for preference:

    • Copy of the sponsor’s permanent change of station(PCS) orders with effective date of the PCS
    • Proof of relationship if not listed on orders (i.e., Marriage license, birth cert etc.)

    Veterans Preference

    Special consideration is given to qualified veterans, known as Veterans’ Preference, not all veterans are entitled to it. Veterans’ preference eligibility can be based on dates of active duty service, receipt of a campaign badge, receipt of a Purple Heart, or a service-connected disability. Veterans Preference does not guarantee a job.

    Special Hiring Authorities:

    • Veterans’ Recruitment Appointment (VRA): An excepted authority that allows to non-competitively appoint an eligible veteran at any grade level up to a GS-11 or equivalent. Disabled veterans; or active duty during war or campaign or expedition which campaign medal was awarded; or active duty servicing in a US military operation that an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; or veterans separated from active duty within past 3 years AND separation under honorable conditions.
    • 30% or More Disable Veteran: An authority that allow to non-competitively appoint any veteran with a 30% or more service-connected disability.
    • Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): An authority to allow veterans to compete under merit promotion procedures in competitive service. Preference eligible or veteran separated from the armed forces after 3 or more years of continuous active service AND under honorable conditions.

    Vet Guide is available at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals.

    Veterans Employment Information is available at https://www.fedshirevets.gov.

  • Army Appropriated Funded Federal Jobs

    Civilian Human Resources Agency (CHRA) - https://portal.chra.army.mil/hr_public

    The Civilian Human Resources Agency (CHRA) is the organization in the Department of the Army responsible for managing all aspects of the human resources life-cycle-from recruiting to retirement.

    Area III CPAC:

    • Servicing Civilian personnel matters in Camp Casey, Yongsan, Camp Humphreys
    • Servicing Civilian personnel matters in MEDDAC, DeCA and FED positions for all of Korea
    • Camp Humphreys, Bldg P6420 2nd Floor RM 204, DSN: 315-757-2007

    Area IV CPAC :

    • Servicing Civilian personnel matters in Camp Henry, Camp Walker, Camp Carroll and Pusan.
    • Camp Henry, Bldg 1621, DSN: 315-763-4290

    USAJOBS - www.usajobs.gov :

    • USAJOBS connects job seekers with federal employment opportunities across the United States and around the world. All positions with the “Department of the Army” are advertised through USAJOBS.
    • Check USAJOBS Help Center page to learn helpful features and frequently Asked Questions: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/

    DODEA / Air Force / Navy/ Federal positions

    Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) - https://www.dodea.edu/Offices/HR/index.cfm

    • Staff Vacancies: Visit the USAJobs.gov website to search all available DoDEA vacancies, not including teaching positions.
    • Teaching Vacancies: Review DoDEA's Application Requirements and then submit your application thru DoDEA's Employee Application System. Please contact CHRA at Rock Island, IL at usarmy.ria.chra-nc.mbx.dodea-eas-applicant-inquiries@army.mil for all questions and inquiry for application process.

    AIR FORCE- https://afciviliancareers.com/careers/

    Visit the USAJobs.gov website to search all available Air Force vacancies.

    AIR FORCE (Osan) Civilian Personnel Office: Bldg. 936, DSN: 315-784-6862

    NAVY- https://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Pages/Default.aspx

    Visit the USAJobs.gov website to search all available Navy vacancies.

    Navy (Chinhae) Civilian Personnel POC: DSN: 315-763-5316

    SECO (Spouse Education & Career Opportunities)

    The Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program provides expert education and career guidance to military spouses worldwide. For more information, visit https://myseco.militaryonesource.mil

    Nonappropriated Fund (NAF) Employment

    NAF positions include a variety of occupations paid from funds generated from sales, fees, and charges to authorized patrons. NAF employees play an important role in providing MWR services to military personnel and their family members. Army clubs, guest houses, child care centers, craft shops, bowling centers, swimming pools, gymnasiums, and many other NAF activities employ a considerable number of employees at most Army installations and contribute to the overall quality of life. This category comprises U.S. civilians; foreign nationals, usually from the local labor market; and enlisted service personnel working part-time during off-duty hours. All compete for employment on the basis of merit.

    NAF positions include Human Resource Management, Physical Fitness, Child Development, Trades and Crafts, Food and Beverage Management, Golf and Bowling, Recreation, Hotels and Lodging, as well as a variety of clerical and administrative jobs. NAF positions are worldwide and provide vital support to our Soldiers, their Families and our Civilian employees.

    Currently all Army Nonappropriated Fund Vacancy Announcements are located on the USAJobs website located at: http://www.usajobs.gov

    • If you are interested in applying…simply type South Korea into the “Location” box on the top right side of the USA Jobs homepage.
    • If you are interested in specific vacancy announcements you may type Job Title, Agency, Series, or Occupation into the “Keywords” box or add more filters from the list of filters on the right-hand side.
    • Each vacancy announcement will provide information on Position Title, Occupational Series, Grade, Location, Salary, etc.

    Helpful Hints: Please ensure that if you are Military Spouse Preference (MSP) eligible you attach a copy of your Sponsor’s Orders.

    Military Spouse Preference is defined as the wife or husband of an active duty military member of the Armed Forces. For purposes of this preference, the marriage must have occurred prior to the service members’ relocation to the new duty station. By law, qualified MSP applicants are placed at the top of the Referral List.

    If you are a Current or Former NAF Employee, you should attach a copy of your DA 3434.

    If you are a Veteran, you should attach a copy of your DD214, copy 4.

    Both US Citizens and Non-citizens may apply for NAF vacancies.

    NAF uses the E-Verify system to ensure all new hires are eligible to work in the US.

    Are you a Former Army NAF Employee?

    Was your resignation date within the last 3 years?

    If you answered yes to both of these then you may be eligible for a non-competitive reinstatement into the same or equivalent position in the same grade or lower.

    You would need: Resume or DA Form 3433, DA Form 3434, additional documentation to meet qualification requirements (HS Diploma, college transcript, certifications, etc.)

    Contact your local CPAC or HRO Office.


    Family members who are interested in available opportunities working with AAFES can go to the following website: www.ApplyMyExchange.com

    Spouse preference offered to new applicants

    Associate Transfer Program: The Exchange can help military spouses retain employment when they transition from one location to another when they PCS with a military family member. This is called the Associate Transfer program (subject to eligibility criteria). Contact the local HRO for additional information at KoreaHR@aafes.com or by phone #: 031-647-7000 (x6).

    USFK Invited Contractor Employment

    Invited Contractor (IC) status shall be governed by the U.S.-ROK Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) as implemented by United States Forces Korea (USFK) Reg 700-19 in order to legally work in the Republic of Korea (ROK).

    USFK Regulation 700-19 contains the policies and procedures pertaining to invited contractors and describes authorized privileges and exemptions.

    For forms, documents, guidance and regulations, please access the FKAQ 700-19 Tool Kit at https://www.usfk.mil/About/USFK/Organization/Special-Staff/Acquisition-Management/

    For more contracted companies, please see the Job Links.

    Applying for Korean National Designated Positions

    USFK employs Korean Nationals (KN) in support of our mission in Korea. Their employment program is governed by USFK Reg 690-1. This regulation allows for family members (US, and third country national) to apply for external vacancy announcements under this system for positions that are not designated as Mission Essential Civilian (MEC).

    If a KN position is announced both for internal applicants and external applicants and there are no qualified internal KN candidates, family member candidates will be considered before external KN applicants are considered.

    • Current KN employees are in priority group 5.
    • Military spouses and family members are in priority group 7.
    • External KN applicants are in priority group 9.

    Family members can check the following websites to look for vacancy announcements and apply for positions:

    Outside Employment

    The Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) underwent significant changes as part of extensive negotiations between the United States and the Republic of Korea (ROK). The SOFA changes went into effect on 2 April 2001, and include a one-page Memorandum of Understanding regarding preferential hiring of Koreans and employment of family members (hereinafter Memorandum of Understand (MOU) dated 18 January 2001.

    There are Eight Employment Related Visa Categories: The MOU states that "any of the eight employment status categories (E-1 through E-8) may be available" to USFK family members "as long as they meet employment requirements for a position stipulated by Korean Immigration Law."

    • E-1 Teaching (Professor): This is for professors of higher education. Requirements include education and experience as a professor of higher education.
    • E-2 Foreign Language Instructor: This category includes English teachers. Requirements include a bachelor's degree and/or relevant college level educational and/or work experience. Individuals applying for the is permit must also be natives of a country where the language they wish to teach is the mother tongue. Proof must be provided of relevant qualifications. The ROK government recently imposed additional requirements including criminal record check by FBI or home state police, health certificate issued by a Korean public health office, and fingerprints.
    • E-3 Research: This category includes those performing research in the natural sciences or in the development of industry and technology. Requirements include an invitation from a Korean public or private institution to perform work of this nature.
    • E-4 Technology Instruction: A person possessing professional level knowledge in the natural sciences, or special technical skills. Requirements include an invitation from a Korean public or private institution to instruction of this nature.
    • E-5 Professional Occupation: This category includes foreign attorneys, accountants, and doctors who are certified in a foreign country and are authorized under Korean law to practice in their field in Korea.
    • E-6 Arts and Performance: This category includes those engaged in music, the arts, literature, modeling, or other performance activities for profit.
    • E-7 Special Occupations: Include such employment as designated by the Minister of Justice, including work in translation, interpretation, cultural research, etc.
    • E-8 Employed Trainee: Temporary employment for industrial training purposes.

    How to Get an Employment Visa: A-3 visa holders may negotiate terms of employment with a Korean company. The employer can then initiate the paperwork with the Korean Immigration Service to obtain an employment permit for the SOFA family member, SOFA family members will likely have to visit a local Immigration office and obtain an employment permit stamp on their passports. SOFA family members with a ROK employment permit can be lawfully employed on the Korean economy.

    Virtual Employment for a CONUS Company

    Remote work, or telework, by SOFA dependents is both permissible and normally nontaxable IAW the US-ROK SOFA. Dependents who are permitted to telework back to their Private sector companies located in CONUS do not trigger SOFA visa issues.

    SOFA Article XIV, Taxation, paragraph 2 states: "Persons in the Republic of Korea solely by reason of being members of the United States armed forces, the civilian component, or their dependents shall not be liable to pay any Korean taxes to the Government of the Republic of Korea or to any taxing agency in the Republic of Korea on income derived from sources outside of the Republic of Korea"

    Additionally, according to the SOFA, SOFA members are not considered as permanent residents of the ROK. Therefore, SOFA family members providing services remotely, from Korea to employers in the U.S., are not liable to pay any Korean taxes as their earned incomes are from sources outside the ROK.

    Any income from the employment on the local economy is subject to Korean taxation.

    Personal Contract Jobs

    Local and Worldwide Contractor Recruiter List: The Army Community Service (ACS) division maintains this listing. It includes local and world-wide contractors that are not listed on usajobs.gov.

    The list is maintained weekly and is distributed through the Digital Employment Readiness Job List Data Base. Names are added to the list by request only.

    Those seeking employment opportunities can be added to the list by contacting Mr. Eric Burton at: eric.d.burton.civ@mail.mil

    Please visit the Family and MWR Employment website to find out additional information and opportunities at https://humphreys.armymwr.com/employment

    Employment opportunities through Army Community Services (ACS)

    USAJOBS website: This is the primary source that list all federal employment opportunities worldwide at usajobs.gov.

    Employment Readiness Job Data Base List: Sent out weekly to 600+ employment seekers (primarily to military spouses). Distributed to Employment Readiness clients that have requested service through the ACS Employment Program. Those seeking employment opportunities can be added upon request.

    Military Spouse Initiative Program (MSIP): This program is for spouses who currently do not have a permanent position in the Far East Region. Spouses can meet one-on-one with a local POC to review their qualifications and receive feedback and guidance as needed. Military Spouses that are interested must email their resumes directly to (usarmy.humphreys.chra-fe.list.military-spousehiring@army.mil)

    Home Based Business (HBB): The Employment Readiness Program conducts two reoccurring monthly Home Based Business seminars in a class-room or virtual setting. Spouses must complete required training with an approved HBB application. Spouses must visit the ACS front desk to complete registration.

    Military Spouse Employment Partners (MSEP): MSEP creates employment connections providing companies with direct access to military spouses seeking career opportunities. Spouses also have direct access to actively recruiting employers (https://msepjobs.militaryonesource.mil/msep/)

    Note: Military Spouses interested in above list or programs should contact Mr. Eric Burton at: .

    Army Career Development Program

    Army Career Development Program (ACDP) (formally Army Civilian Training, Education, and Development System (ACTEDS)):

    A requirements-based program that ensures planned development of civilian members of the force through a blending of progressive and sequential work assignments, formal training, and self-development for individuals as they progress from entry level to key positions. The ACDP is a 2-year, HQDA centrally funded program available to all career program areas. Career Programs will be expected to utilize Direct Hire Authorities (DHA) to minimize time to hire and improve candidate quality: https://www.army.mil/article/231943/

    Pathways Recent Graduate Program:

    Provides developmental experiences in the Federal Government. It is intended to promote possible careers in the civilian service to individuals who, within the previous 2 years, graduated from a qualifying educational institutions with an associate’s bachelor’s, master’s, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/#url=intern

    Volunteer Opportunities through Army community service (ACS)

    Registration: Spouses wishing to volunteer may register at the Army Family Web Portal at: armyfamilywebportal.com

    Can search volunteer opportunities from the same Web Portal by going to the Volunteer Management Information System (VMIS) link.

    Once the volunteer has found a volunteer position, there will be a POC on the position announcement. The volunteer should contact the POC of the org directly for information on the volunteer opportunity.

    Summer Hire Program

    The Summer Hire Program is designed to provide young people an opportunity to gain meaningful job experience, prepare for future educational and career goals, and support the Army mission.

    The program will provide jobs in general clerical and light labor work to U.S. family member dependents ages 14-22.

    • Labor: may include working indoors/outdoors, light to moderate lifting, yard work, etc.
    • Clerical: may include typing, computer work, filing, receptionist work, customer service and answering telephones.

    Applicants for summer hire positions must be unmarried family members of active-duty service members, Department of Defense civilian employees or non-appropriated fund (Family, Morale, Welfare and Recreation or Army and Air Force Exchange Service) civilian.

    Persons under the age of 18 will not be employed as caregiving personnel at childcare, school-age, or youth centers. Persons aged 16 years and older may be assigned to these programs to perform clerical or labor duties. Supervisors will provide line-of-sight supervision according to DOD Instruction 1402.5 and AR 608-10.

    Applicants must submit online application through USAjobs: https://www.usajobs.gov

  • Tutorials And Tips on Applications, Resumes, and Interviews

    The following links have tips and tutorials and tips on the application process for federal employment:

    More information can be found at https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/

    The following are tutorials and tips on applications, resumes, and interviews (Video):

    Did You Know?

    Did You Know? USA jobs has a search function that can automatically notify you by email of jobs in your area of interest? Save a Search (and set up email notifications)

    Local Job Fairs Information

    Local USFK communities regularly host post sponsored job fairs which enable employment opportunities to happen on the spot in some cases.

    Employers at these job fairs normally represent a multitude of different industries and specialties. Common employers include: US Army Civilian Employment, DOD Civilian employment, NAF Employment, AAFES, Community Bank, DeCA, DODEA, Invited Contractors, local MSEP vendors.

    There are normally no registration requirements and the event is free.

    Participation is normally limited to CAC cardholders only.

    Contact your local ACS for more information on any scheduled job fair events.

    Job Links

    Below is a listing of job links. They are divided by employment type for ease of navigation:

    US Federal Jobs

    Virtually all federal DOD jobs, including paid internships, are posted online through USAJobs.com. You can use USAJobs to upload your resume, browse open positions, and apply for jobs across the United States and overseas.

    AAFES - www.ApplyMyExchange.com

    Non-Appropriate (NAF) Jobs

    • Area I/II/III/IV – The Area III CPAC facilitates hiring for Army NAF positions in these areas. Vacancies are announced through USAJobs.gov.
    • Osan - https://afciviliancareers.com/careers/
    • Korean National Recruitment System (KNRS) – All Korean National Positions for the Army (both NAF and AF) are announced through this automated website: https://portal.chra.army.mil/hr_public

    Invited Contractor Jobs

  • NEO Frequently Asked Questions

    1. What is a Non Combatant Evacuation?

    Non Combatant Evacuation is a standard U.S. response to hostilities and natural disasters which might endanger our citizens. One of the primary goals of NEO training is to ensure we can do this task successfully under real-world circumstances.

    2. Who is my NEO Warden?

    Each unit has a designated NEO Warden. Please contact your chain of command to find out who is your NEO Warden. NEO Wardens are available to update your NEO packets, demonstrate use of the ICAPS mask and answer any questions you might have about a potential evacuation.

    3. Can NEO registration be completed on-line?

    All potential evacuees must contact their NEO Warden to update their packets, information and items in their NEO kits. Contact your NEO warden today to ensure you are ready.


    • Your NH15 Escape Hood comes in a grey-colored package that is placed inside a black carrying case. You can open the black carrying case, but do not open the grey-colored package. Be sure to check the expiration date on the outside of the package to ensure its beyond your DEROS.
    • The M52 mask comes in a brown cardboard box. The box must remain sealed. Ask your warden for M52 training opportunities.

    For more information, click here (CAC-enabled)

    Related Documents

    Related Links

Outlined below are several resources that will prepare you for success as a member of the Eighth Army team.


  • Eighth Army Blue Book
    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

    Blue Book Download, 30 JAN 2024 [PDF - 4.2 MB]

  • Passenger service agents are available to assist and can be contacted at DSN 784-6883 if travelers have additional questions.

    This information is updated as of Oct. 14, 2022.

    For more Osan Patriot Express information and schedules, visit: https://www.amc.af.mil/AMC-Travel-Site/Terminals/PACOM-Terminals/Osan-AB-Passenger-Terminal/fbclid/IwAR3Gc01Va9P8r--ldGg0oa-ngpdfZpnh-ODk51VPeTsSG5n8wiBX-hXXz4I/

  • Eighth Army Cybersecurity Branch (CSB) mission is to continuously strengthen the cybersecurity posture of the systems, networks, and users of 8A HQ and MSCs.

    Eighth Army CSB stands ready to support the warfighter and the Fight Tonight mission through the Cybersecurity and Cyberspace services of our team to the Eighth Army and Major Subordinate Command (MSC).

    Eighth Army G6 Cybersecurity News letter

    Cyber Awareness Links

    Here are some resources to educate and help you before connecting.

  • Eighth Army Equal Employment Opportunity Office

    Eighth Army Equal Employment Opportunity

    The Eighth Army Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office advises commanders, supervisors, managers, and employees on EEO programs, policies, and regulatory requirements and procedures.

    Equal Employment Opportunity Policy

    It is the policy of Eighth Army to provide EEO in Federal employment, consistent with federal merit systems principles and applicable law, for all persons, to prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, (gender identity, sexual orientation & pregnancy), national origin, age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, genetic information, and/or reprisal in an employment matter, including Equal Pay Act complaints, or other impermissible basis.

    Complaint Program

    In accordance with Army Regulation 690-600, Equal Employment Opportunity Discrimination Complaints, dated 9 February 2004, any employee, former employee, applicant for employment, or certain contract employees covered by this regulation, who believes that they have been discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, (gender identity, sexual orientation & pregnancy), national origin, age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, genetic information, and/or reprisal in an employment matter, including Equal Pay Act complaints, subject to the control of the Army, may initiate the EEO complaint process. Contact your servicing EEO office within 45 days of the alleged discriminatory act for more information. See phone numbers below.

    Special Emphasis Programs

    Special Emphasis Programs (SEP) were established in the Federal Government to remove barriers to equal employment opportunity for groups that were traditionally not represented or subjected to discrimination in the workforce. Special Emphasis Programs were strengthened by two Executive Orders. In 1969, Executive Order 11478, Equal Employment Opportunity in the Federal Government, established the Equal Employment Opportunity Program, and implemented the policy of the Federal government to provide equal opportunity in employment to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or age. To achieve the overall objective of ensuring all Army employees have an equal opportunity to complete fairly in all aspects of Army human capital activities, Eighth Army conducts the following special emphasis programs:

    • The Federal Women’s Program
    • The Hispanic Employment Program
    • Black/African American Employment Program
    • Disabled Veterans Affirmative Action Program
    • Asian American and Pacific Islander Employment Program
    • American Indian or Alaska Native Employment Program
    • The Individuals with Disabilities Program

    Servicing EEO Offices

    • United States Army Garrison Casey/Yongsan: DSN 315-722-4041
    • United States Army Garrison Humphreys: DSN 315-755-9155
    • United States Army Garrison Daegu: DSN 315-763-4517
    • Army Corps of Engineers: DSN 315-755-6096 (USACE Employees)

    Related Documents

  • he EEO office formulates policy and provides guidance, direction and support to employees, managers, supervisors, and applicants seeking information on or dealing with equal employment opportunity matters, diversity, sexual harassment, and anti-harassment. The EEO team strives to create a better workplace by increasing employer and employee awareness of, commitment to, and involvement in assuring equal employment opportunity with the goal to resolve all issues at the lowest level possible.

    Eighth Army is committed to equal opportunity and diverse principles in all aspects of employment. All Civilian employees, former employees, and applicants for employment are covered by AR 690-600. Employees are entitled to initiate a complaint of alleged discrimination when they believe they are discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex (including Sexual Harassment), national origin, age (over 40), physical/mental disability and genetic predisposition in an employment matter. In addition, reprisal against those who exercise their rights under applicable EEO laws or oppose unlawful discriminatory practice is prohibited and is not tolerated.

    Eighth Army Equal Employment Opportunity Office

    • ATTN: EAEE
    • UNIT #15236
    • APO AP 96271-5236
    • 8A HQ Building #12400, First Floor
    • Room: G2-101, EEO Office
    • DSN: (315) 755-0320 & 755-0321
    • Korean Phone #: 050-3355-0320 & 050-3355-0321
    • 8A EEO Email: usarmy.humphreys.8-army.list.eeo@army.mil

    Complaints Program

    • Any Employee, former employee or applicant may file a complaint based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender identity or pregnancy), age, disability (Mental or Physical), GINA, and/or reprisal.
    • Must contact EEO within 45 calendar days of the discriminatory event, personnel action, or when you became aware of the event.
    • Employees may choose traditional counseling or Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

    Management Directive 715 Program

    • MD-715 Report
    • Hispanic Employment Plan (HEP)/9-Point Plan
    • Disabled Veteran’s Affirmative Action Plan (DVAAP)
    • 462 Reports

    These reports provide the Commander with the State of the Agency EEO analysis for DA Civilians assigned to the command. The reports are used to identify triggers, barriers, and solutions for the Command's EEO program. It further reports demographical and statistical data by Ethic/Race Identification, Sex and Veteran status.

    Affirmative Action Program

    Under Merit Promotion and Placement Plan (AK 690-335), the EEO Offices review all civilians actions, such as hiring actions, awards, and Overseas Tour Extensions (OTEX), for completion, fairness, and transparency throughout the command. Additionally, Eighth EEO performs Staff Assisted Visits (SAV) and Organizational Inspections Program (OIP) for all Eighth Army Units.

    Specialty Emphases Programs

    Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP)

    The Workforce Recruitment Program for College Students with Disabilities (WRP) is a recruitment and referral program that connects public and private sector employers nationwide with highly motivated postsecondary students and recent graduates with disabilities who are eager to prove their abilities in the workplace through paid summer or permanent jobs.

    Every summer, Eighth Army EEO works with WRP by hiring students with disabilities and place them in positions throughout the command. These WRP students come from all over the United States and dependents stationed here in Korea. The WRP program demonstrates that qualified people with disabilities make excellent Employees.

    Applicants for the program must:

    • have a disability AND
    • be a U.S. citizen AND
    • be enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education on a substantially full-time basis (unless the severity of the disability precludes the student from taking a substantially full-time load) to seek a degree OR
    • be enrolled in such an institution as a degree-seeking student taking less than a substantially full-time load in the enrollment period immediately prior to graduation OR
    • have graduated from such an institution within the past year.

    WRP Website: https://www.wrp.gov/wrp

    Computer/Electronics Accommodations Program (CAP)

    The Department of Defense (DoD) has a long-standing commitment to providing equal employment opportunities for people with disabilities. CAP's purpose is to ensure that all federal employees with disabilities and wounded Service members get the equipment that best suits their needs, at no charge to the organization. CAP has a variety of equipment that can be ordered from ergonomic equipment, dictation equipment, low vision equipment, etc. Individuals with medical documentation or VA letter of disabilities can independently order equipment from CAP or request assistance from 8A EEO Office with the ordering process.

    CAP Website: https://www.cap.mil/Default.aspx

    EEO, Anti-Harassment and NoFEAR Act Training

    It is a requirement that all Department of Army Civilians (supervisors and non-supervisors) and Military who directly supervise DA Civilians to take initial or annual "EEO, Anti-Harassment and NoFEAR Act Training". Annual EEO training can be completed either online and/or face to face course. For step-by-step directions on how to register for online EEO training or upcoming face to face EEO training opportunities, please contact 8A EEO Office.

    Reasonable Accommodations

    A Reasonable Accommodation (RA) is any modification or adjustment to a job task, an employment practice, or the work environment that makes it possible for an individual to enjoy equal employment opportunities.

    An agency is required to make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities and for religious practices; unless to do so would cause an undue hardship. An individual with a disability is someone who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of that individual's major life activities; has a record of such impairment; or is regarded as having such an impairment.

    For more information on RA and/or to request a RA, please contact your servicing EEO office.

    Related Documents

  • We all have a role in protecting the force. If you “See Something, Say Something”.

    Potential Indicators of a Threat

    • People drawing or measuring important buildings
    • Strangers asking questions about security or building security procedures
    • Cars or trucks left in No Parking Zones in front of important buildings
    • Intruders in secure areas where they are not supposed to be
    • A person wearing clothes that are too big and too hot for the weather
    • Chemical smells or fumes that worry you
    • People asking questions about sensitive information such as building blueprints, security plans, or VIP travel schedules without a right or need to know
    • Purchasing supplies or equipment that can be used to make bombs or weapons or purchasing uniforms without having the proper credentials

    What to Report

    • When the suspicious activity occurred
    • Where the suspicious activity occurred
    • How many people were involved
    • How many and what type of vehicles were involved
    • The type of suspicious activity
    • A description of what took place
    • Pictures/video if you took any

    To Report Suspicious Activity

    Area 1 DSN 732-7023 COMM 0503-332-7023

    Area 2 DSN 738-7318 or 738-7905 COMM 0503-338-7318 or 0503-338-7318

    Area 3 DSN 754-6142 COMM 0503-354-6142

    Area 4 DSN 768-7607 or 765-8343 COMM 0503-368-7607 or 0503-368-8343

    8A Anti-Terrorism Offices

    Eighth Army DSN 722-8320 COMM 0503-322-8320

    1st Signal Brigade DSN 722-0532 COMM 0503-322-0532

    2nd Infantry Division DSN 732-6674 COMM 0503-332-6674

    19th ESC DSN 768-9100 COMM 0503-368-9100

    35th ADA Brigade DSN 784-0640 COMM 0503-384-0640

    65th Medical Brigade DSN 732-2599 COMM 0503-332-2599

    501st MI Brigade DSN 722-0852 COMM 0503-322-0852

    Related Links

  • The Inspector General serves as a member of the Commander’s personal staff providing advice and counsel on all IG matters pertaining to the state of the command’s economy, efficiency, discipline, morale, training and readiness. In other words, the IG is interested in every aspect of the command. The IG Team is made up of Soldiers and DOD Civilians selected for duty based on experience and proven professionalism.


    The Eighth Army Inspector General team’s mission is to support Soldiers, DOD Civilians, and Family Members. The IG team serves as an extension of the Commander’s eyes, ears and conscience creating a more ready, credible, and reliable organization.

    8A IG Assistance

    • Comm: 050-3355-2000 / DSN: 755-2000
    • Location: 8A HQ. Bldg# 12400
    • Pacific Victor Ave & Zoeckler Station Rd
    • Room# G4-101 (1st Floor)
    • Camp Humphreys, Korea
    • "Click here to e-mail 8A IG"


    2ID IG

    19ESC IG

    IG Resources:

    What We Do


    • An informal fact-finding process used to address a complaint involving a request for assistance or a request for information.
    • IGs encourage personnel to allow their chain of command to solve problems at the lowest level.


    • IGs assess, assist and enhance the ability of the command to effectively prepare for and to perform its assigned mission.
    • IGs identify root causes of problems, and apply a compliance oriented or systemic approach measured against an established standard.


    • A fact-finding examination into allegations of impropriety or an adverse condition affecting the warfighting and mission capability of a command.
    • IGs may investigate any violation of law, policy, or ethical standards, including but not limited to allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement.

    Teaching and Training

    • IGs utilize knowledge and experience to assist in achieving and maintaining discipline and combat ready units.
    • While inspecting, assisting or investigating, IGs improve the command by teaching and training others in policy and procedures.

    Things to remember about the IG

    Everyone has the right to contact an IG at any time, and no one may hinder an individual’s right to do so. Supervisors may not engage in reprisal or retaliatory measures against a person for contacting an IG. The easiest way to submit an issue or complaint is to contact us or to submit DA Form 1559, “Inspector General Action Request” through the following email address: usarmy.humphreys.8-army.list.igasst@army.mil. We answer all IG inquiries objectively, and we strive to maintain confidentiality as much as possible.

    What the IG Does Not Do

    Please understand the IG complaint resolution process does not generally address issues covered by other grievance channels unless those avenues were improperly administered. Dissatisfaction with the outcome is not considered improper administration.

    Related Documents


  • There are several avenues to experience everything that the Assignment of Choice has to offer.

    Immediately upon arrival in the Republic of Korea you’ll be offered several options to get out an enjoy the sights. Whether this is from collegiate level cultural instruction from our partner universities, MWR trips, or outreach activities through your unit’s Good Neighbor Program, you’ll have every opportunity to meet the local communities that make the Alliance strong.

    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL
    (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

    This will be provided to every arriving person proceeding through in-processing at 19HRC in order to inform of available resources that improve the quality of life.

    Upcoming Events


    Korean Headstart Program: Area III

    The Korean Head Start program is a cultural immersion course conducted at Anjeong-ri Art Squre. The program is sponsored by Gyeonggi Province and Pyeongtaek City, providing cultural instruction and experiences to Eighth Army Soldiers, Family members, and DA Civilians. The One day course includes cultural instruction, procedures to utilize local transportation, authentic cuisine, cultural demonstrations, and visits to local markets.

    To sign up, please click the link and fill up the information: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeLrd1rCr8O9Oz1WSJQCay2NGwTAuOoA1DVXWFhdPty8PuUcg/viewform?usp=sf_link

    Ms. Jo, Anna: anna.jo.ln@army.mil, Ms. Yi, Yu Ri: yuri.yi.ln@army.mil

    USFK Cultural Immersion Program

    The USFK Korean Cultural Immersion Program is a ROK funded program to enhance the morale of US Service Members, Civilian employees and their families serving in Korea by creating great memories of their time in Korea and further building the ROK/US Alliance; ultimately making Korea an assignment of choice. Further Details Below:

    • Free tour your choice of popular destinations: Gangwon Province, Gyeongsang Province, Jeolla Province, or Jeju island
    • Group tour program with English tour guide
    • Families stay together even if above 4 persons
    • Meet at USFK HQ parking lot
    • Authentic Korean meals provided
    • Room paid for (Families together and shared for single persons - two per room)

    Contact your unit Good Neighbor Program coordinator or unit chaplain today to show your interest and get more information!

    Army MWR: Camp Humphreys

    We have a variety of recreational activities for Soldiers, families, and civilians right here on post. Whether you enjoy golf, bowling, arts & crafts, working on your car or visiting Korea … you can do it with USAG Humphreys Family and MWR. And there is so much more! We offer top quality child care services and youth programs, discount ticket sales for area attractions, rentals of almost anything at Family and MWR Rents, and if you're hungry, try one of our restaurants.

    19ESC: Community Relations at Daegu

    A plethora of cultural immersion opportunities are available in and around Daegu. Below are a few of our upcoming events

    • Joseon Dynasty Culture Experience: Providing a cultural awareness opportunity for Area IV Soldiers and Family Members to gain a greater understanding of the Korean culture, history and traditions
    • Daegu City Temple & Market Tour: Providing an opportunity for 19ESC Soldiers and their Family Members to experience and better understand the Korean cultural and traditions while exploring the colorful city of Daegu.
    • Daegu City Tour: Rendering appreciation to the 19ESC CDR/Spouse teams and supporting key senior leaders for their exemplary leadership and support to advance the US-ROK Alliance.
    • Korean Tea Ceremony: Experience traditional Korean clothes (Hanbok) and tea brewing while learning etiquette.
    • Colorful Daegu Festival: Explore the colorful city through various fun-filled events that bring together the whole of the community.
    • Overnight Stay at Daegok Temple: Experience a different lifestyle in a temple with a rich 1,700-year Buddhist history.

    The G9 Cultural Team is also poised to answer any questions.

    G9 Cultural Team usarmy.humphreys.8-army.mbx.8a-g9-cultural-team1@army.mil

    Lead: MAJ Norman, Chad chad.a.norman.mil@army.mil

    Related Documents

    Related Links

  • The following off-post establishments and areas are OFF LIMITS by order of Area Commander:

    USFK Off Limits Information

    USFK Reg 190-2 Policy (21 Feb 2012)

    The areas and establishments listed below have been declared off-limits for safety, health, or operational considerations for all personnel subject to this regulation, except as noted. Additional off-limits areas will be determined by Area Commanders IAW paragraph 5.

    a) All tattoo parlors and body piercing shops. This paragraph does not apply to personnel listed in APPLICABILITY paragraphs (d) and (e).

    b) All houses of prostitution. A house of prostitution is defined as any building or structure where prostitution or the promotion of prostitution (engaging in any sexual activity with another person for a fee) is regularly carried on by one or more persons under the control, management, or supervision of another.

    c) The ROK public streets, roads, and highways during the hours of curfew when established by the ROK Government. Travel during curfew hours is permitted, in emergencies or when performing official duties.

    d) In accordance with the ROK Ministry of Home Affairs notice #89-9, dated 1 December 1989, the ROK Government curfew areas north of civilian control line at the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) affecting 16 Ups and Myons of Kangwa, Kimpo, Paju and Yonchon in Kyonggi Province, 20 Ups and Myons of Chorwon, Hwachon, Yanggu, Inje, and Kosong in Kangwon Province, 13 islands near the DMZ in Kyonggi Province, and seas within three (3) nautical miles of coast. Travel is permitted in these areas in emergencies or when performing official duties.

    AREA I, II, IV Off limits areas

    Area III limits areas

    Related Links

  • Eighth Army maintains a "WORLD CLASS " safety program that protects the force and is perceived by its customers as essential to accomplishing daily missions; training; Armistice operations, and actual hostilities.

    Eighth Army Command Safety Office

    • ATTN: EASF
    • UNIT #15236
    • APO AP 96271-5236
    • DSN: (315) 755-1281
    • COMM: 010-8978-4694


    Eighth Army Command Safety Office (CSO) Program's mission is to assist units with accomplishing their missions without unnecessary losses of personnel and equipment and therefore preserve and protect our combat power. Leaders, NCOs, and Servicemembers will employ the risk management process outlined in applicable risk management doctrine and integrate Risk Management (RM) into all phases of an operation, from the planning phase thru the execution phase of all missions. RM is the integration of safety and risk management into all elements associated with Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Leadership & Education, Personnel, and Facilities (DOTMLPF).

    We can manage risks more effectively through RM, which blends tactical, threat-based risks with accidental, hazard-based risks to create a more thorough evaluation of possible hazards associated with the mission. RM is accomplished through the application of sound risk management procedures by leaders and individuals at all levels. The RM process identifies the optimum course of action (COA) to mitigate or reduce the risk to an acceptable level. RM is critical for all operations, whether for training, planned missions, tactical exercises, or daily operations. The CSO staff provides guidance and assistance, safety evaluations, and recommendations to prevent accidents and injuries. Additionally, the staff provides safety training classes for safety-related programs.

  • Sexual harassment and sexual assault has no place in the Army. Commanders and leaders at all levels are responsible for providing a safe and healthy environment for those in their charge. This responsibility requires leaders to take action to prevent sexual harassment and sexual assault, protect and support survivors, and hold offenders accountable by taking all appropriate administrative and judicial actions based on the facts and circumstances of each case.

    8A 24/7 SHARP Response Hotline

    • DSN: 763-5700 or 158
    • Cell/Landline: 0503-363-5700
    • International: 011-82-53-470-5700 or 011-82-503-363-5700

    8A SHARP Email: usarmy.humphreys.8-army.mbx.g1-sharp-admin@army.mil

    8A SHARP Portal (CAC required): https://armyeitaas.sharepoint-mil.us/sites/USARPAC-8A-G1/SitePages/8th-Army-SHARP.aspx

    US Army SHARP Website: www.armyresilience.army.mil/sharp/

    The US Army’s SHARP Mission

    Enhance Army readiness through the prevention of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and associated retaliatory behaviors while providing comprehensive response capabilities.

    The US Army's SHARP Program

    • Is an integrated, proactive effort by the Army to end sexual harassment and sexual assault within its ranks.
    • Includes specially educated and trained staff at multiple levels within the Army structure.
    • Promotes cultural change across the Army with a vision toward a culture of discipline and respect in which Soldiers intervene in sexual harassment and sexual assault to protect one another.
    • Includes a comprehensive program to educate leaders and Soldiers about how to prevent and respond to incidents of sexual harassment and sexual assault.

    Sexual Assault Response Coordinators (SARCs) and Victim Advocates (VAs) receive training certified by the National Advocate Credentialing Program (NACP) and are credentialed through the DOD Sexual Assault Advocate Certification Program (D-SAACP). SARCs and VAs assist Soldiers with sexual assault reports, providing a 24/7 response capability. These professionals also support commanders with prevention, training and awareness efforts.

    8A SHARP Mission

    Support all Soldiers, Civilians and Families Members through the SHARP Lines of Effort (prevention, advocacy, investigation, accountability and assessment), in order to enhance readiness and eliminate sexual harassment and sexual assault across Eighth Army. Provide superior service through education, awareness, assessments, intervention and continuous engagement. Ensure leadership is equipped with knowledge, data, and resources in order to effect culture change, and promote Army Values and Warrior Ethos.

    I need to talk to someone: on-call SARC/VA is standing by 24/7/365

    8A 24/7 SHARP Response Hotline:

    • DSN: 158 or 763-5700
    • Cell/Landline: 0503-363-5700

    DoD Safe Helpline:

    • 877-995-5247

    How do I File a Sexual Harassment Complaint

    I am a Soldier:

    • You can file a Formal, Informal or Anonymous Complaint
    • A Soldier may file a sexual harassment complaint on behalf of a Family member.

    I am an Army Civilian:

    • You can file a Formal and Informal complaint. Contact your EEO Counselor within 45 calendar days of an alleged discriminatory action.

    I am a Korean Employees (working in the USFK Installation):

    • Please contact your management or chain of Command or HR for assistance.

    *** Call 8A 24/7 SHARP Response Hotline: DSN: 158 or 763-5700 or Cell/Landline: 0503-363-5700 for further assistance.

    How do I report a Sexual Assault

    • All sexual assault survivors who contact SHARP professionals for assistance, regardless of their military status, will be given all necessary assistance, support, and access to resources permitted by law and policy

    I am a Soldier:

    • You have Restricted and Unrestricted Reporting Option.
    • Please contact your Unit SARC or VA, or call 8A SHARP Response hotline for immediate assistance.

    I am an Adult Dependent of a Soldier (over 18 y/o) :

    • You have Restricted and Unrestricted Reporting Option.
    • For survivor of sexual assault perpetrated by a spouse or intimate partner OR Family members under the age of 18 who are sexually assaulted. – will be assisted by your local Family Advocacy Program.
    • Please contact your Unit SARC or VA, or call 8A SHARP Response hotline for immediate assistance.

    I am a Army Civilian or a US Contractor:

    • DA Civilians and their Family members 18 years of age and older, and U.S. citizen DoD contractor personnel when they are stationed and authorized to perform duties OCONUS authorized to currently have Unrestricted Reporting Option.
    • Please contact your Unit SARC or VA, or call 8A SHARP Response hotline for immediate assistance.

    I am a Korean Employees (working in the USFK Installation):

    • You may report the sexual assault incident to local law enforcement, depending on the jurisdiction.
    • You may contact your Unit SARC or VA, or call 8A SHARP Response hotline for resource referral.

    I am a KATUSA:

    • You may report the sexual assault incident to your (ROK) Chain of Command, or US Chain of Command, who will also engage your local ROK Support Officer to provide further assistance.
    • You may contact your Unit SARC or VA, or call 8A SHARP Response hotline for resource referral.

    ***8A 24/7 SHARP Response Hotline: DSN: 158 or 763-5700 or Cell/Landline: 0503-363-5700 for further assistance.

    I Want to Help Someone

    How Can I Help if I Witness Something? Take Action!

    1. Notice the event.
    2. Interpret the event as a problem.
    3. Decide on how to intervene - direct, distract, delegate - and take action!

    Don’t forget the 3D’s of Bystander Intervention


    • Address the perpetrator: "You need to stop." "Why would you say that?" "That is so inappropriate."
    • Remove either party from the situation/ hostile environment (potential victim or perpetrator): "Hey, I want to show you something. Come over here with me.”
    • Have personal courage to intervene: "I don’t see how XYZ is relevant or appropriate to this conversation.
    • Do anything that distracts the perpetrator; change the subject, ask either person to go do something, or say, "I think someone is coming."


    • Delegate the intervention to others; have friends, squad/section members, or coworkers take wither person out of the situation.
    • Send someone for help to intervene (Chain of Command, MPs, etc.)

    Related Documents

    Related Links

Help & Support

  • Looking for additional information on the Army's Warfighter's Assignment of Choice? Do you have questions or comments about Eighth Army programs or policies? We are here to help. Send us a message and we will get back with you as soon as possible.

    Eighth Army Public Affairs

    Eighth Army Public Affairs Media Coverage

    Call Operator (KOREA-WIDE)

    Attention! When calling from the U.S. you MUST dial the number below.

    Calling from Stateside: 011-82-503-323-1110

    DSN 0 (From Korea): COMM 0503-323-1110

    SHARP Hotline

    Attention! When calling from the U.S. you MUST dial the number below.

    DoD Safe Helpline: 1-877-995-5247

    USFK 24/7 Hotline DSN: 763-5700

    USFK 24/7 Hotline from Stateside: 011-82-53-470-5700 or 011-82-503-363-5700

  • This page outlines information for users of websites and social media run by Eighth Army and its subordinate elements, which here shall be referred to simply as Eighth Army. Modifications to the content below may occur at any time.

    Eighth Army’s social media sites are produced and maintained by the Eighth Army public affairs office. Links to other internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.

    1. Privacy and security

    Eighth Army is not responsible for the security of social media sites, and cannot guarantee users’ individual privacy using these third-party platforms. Eighth Army’s social media sites are set up for free, public viewing. Links posting on social media sites to other web locations not controlled by Eighth Army are the responsibility of the user and the site host. Use of Eighth Army social media sites is voluntary. If you have questions or comments about the information presented here, please inform us.

    2. Copyright and trademark

    Most U.S. government creative works, such as writing or images, are copyright-free. But not everything is, so before you use a U.S. government work, check to make sure it does not fall under one of these exceptions:

    • Other people may have rights in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights. Privacy and publicity rights protect the interests of the person or people who may be the subject of the work. Learn more about copyright, privacy, and publicity rights from the Library of Congress.
    • You cannot use government trademarks or government agencies' logos without permission. For example, you cannot use an agency logo or trademark on your social media page.
    • You cannot use a government work in a way that implies endorsement by a government agency, official, or employee. For example, you can't use a photo of a government official wearing your product in an ad.
    • Works prepared for the government by independent contractors may be protected by copyright. The copyrights may be owned by the independent contractor or by the U.S. government.
    • Not everything that appears on a government website is a government work. Content on a government website may be protected intellectual property used with the rights holder's permission. This content can include:
    • Text
    • Trademarks
    • Logos
    • Images

    To ensure that you don’t use protected intellectual property, check with the agency or program that manages the website.

    • The U.S. government work designation does not apply to works of state and local governments. Works of state and local governments may be protected by copyright.
    • Copyright laws differ internationally. U.S. copyright laws may not protect U.S. government works outside the country. But the work may be protected under the copyright laws of other jurisdictions when used in these jurisdictions. The U.S. government may assert copyright outside of the United States for U.S. government works.

    3. Moderated accounts disclaimer

    Comments, videos, photos and fans on Eighth Army’s social media sites are welcome, but we'll hide or delete posts that include profanity, sexual content, hate speech or overly graphic, disturbing, offensive material, or content that violates U.S. law, U.S. Department of Defense or Army rules or regulations. Comments posted by fans do not represent Eighth Army. Additionally, likes, comments and shared messages made by Eighth Army social media site administrators do not necessarily convey endorsement. All users of Eighth Army’s social media sites are responsible for the content they post, and are advised to use the Think, Type, Post method if contributing to social media.

    We do not allow solicitations or advertisements. This includes promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Similarly, we do not allow attempts to defame or defraud any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Furthermore, no one from Eighth Army should ever contact individual users to solicit money for any purpose whatsoever. If you have been contacted by a person claiming to be a U.S. Army Soldier, we strongly encourage you to report the impostor account to the Facebook Help Center at https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/295309487309948. Visit the Criminal Investigation Command webpage for tips on protecting yourself from impersonation fraud - https://www.cid.army.mil/report-a-crime.html.

    We do not allow comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity.

    4. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) notice

    The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) program is mandated by Congress and applies to all U.S. government agencies. The program allows the public to request information pertaining to an agency’s functions, practices and future plans. Anyone may request records under the FOIA. Public disclosure is mandatory unless exempted under the Title 5, U.S.C. 552. In accordance with the Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 1996, agencies have 20 work days to respond to a FOIA request. To learn more about the FOIA, visit https://www.foia.gov/.

    5. General Services Administration Negotiated Terms of Service disclaimer

    For more information about the General Services Administration Negotiated Terms of Service, please visit https://digital.gov/resources/federal-compatible-terms-of-service-agreements/.

    6. Page contact information

    You can reach the Eighth Army public affairs office by sending an email to usarmy.humphreys.8-army.mbx.public-affairs-office@army.mil

  • Social Media & OPSEC [PDF - 962.2 KB]

  • Social Media Handbook [PDF - 11.4 MB]