Decals needed for entry on to Army posts starting May 1
Starting May 1, drivers who do not have a current military decal (DD Form 2220) or Army pass will be routed to the closest Visitor Control Center, or VCC, for a temporary access pass, in order to gain access to any U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii installation.

SCHOFIELD BARRACKS, Hawaii - Army officials are urging all drivers who live on, work on, or frequently use Army installations to register their vehicles at an Army Vehicle Registration Office, or VRO, and to display an official military decal on their vehicles by May 1, as part of an initiative to enhance installation security.

Starting May 1, drivers who do not have a current military decal (DD Form 2220) or Army pass will be routed to the closest Visitor Control Center, or VCC, for a temporary access pass. VCCs are located at Schofield Barrack's Lyman Gate, Fort Shafter's Buckner Gate, and Tripler Army Medical Center's main gate. The VCCs can provide passes ranging in length from one-day to one-week, based on need.

"We understand that not everyone will have the opportunity to register for decals prior to May 1, so we will initially have temporary seven-day passes available," said Gordon Wiborg Jr., chief, security division, U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii Directorate of Emergency Services.

"Our goal is to make this transition as smooth as possible, giving folks a little extra time and the opportunity to get their decals at their earliest convenience," Wiborg said.

The registration requirement will help ensure the safety and security of Soldiers, families and civilians who work or live on USAG-HI installations, as well as standardize Army Hawaii vehicle registration policies and, ultimately, improve traffic flow through security checkpoints.

Anyone who accesses Army installations for recurring activities, such as doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, or the like, should seriously consider registering their vehicles, according to Wiborg.

"(Registration) is really a quick and easy, one-time process that takes only about five minutes," Wiborg said. "The big benefit is time savings. Taking those few minutes to register and get a decal means not having to take more time later getting a temporary pass each time you want to come on post."

To register and receive a decal, drivers need to bring their current driver's license, vehicle registration, safety inspection and proof of insurance to the VRO of their choice. Motorcyclists must also show completion of a valid Department of Defense-approved safety course.

Vendors and contractors with commercial vehicles who do business on Army installations on a regular basis can receive extended passes for individual and fleet vehicles, for periods up to six months, by registering their vehicles at the VROs. Vehicle fleet managers should call ahead to the VRO to coordinate a convenient time.

<b>Vehicle Registration Offices</b>
Motorists and commercial businesses can register their vehicles at the following VROs:

Aca,!AcSchofield Barracks VRO
At the Soldier Support Center
Building 750, Ayers Road
Hours are Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m.

Aca,!AcFort Shafter Flats VRO
At Building 1599
Hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-12 p.m., and 1-3 p.m.

Motorists and vendors can obtain more information from <a href=""></a> or:

Aca,!AcSchofield Barracks Provost Marshal Office at 808-655-9496;

Aca,!AcFort Shafter PMO at 808-438-2230; or

Aca,!AcDirectorate of Emergency Services at 808-656-5398.

Page last updated Fri July 22nd, 2011 at 12:16