CPL. Tibor Rubin deployed to Korea on February 13, 1950 as a part of I Co., 3 rd Battalion, 8 th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division.
Eighth Cavalry Regiment
The 8th Cavalry Regiment was formed in 1866, at Camp Reynolds, California. Many of the troops had previously worked the gold and silver mines of the West and many had also fought in the Civil War, which ended just a year earlier. These rugged Soldiers were assigned to remote outposts throughout the frontier, from Texas and New Mexico to Idaho and California. Throughout much of the remainder of the 19th century, the Soldiers were engaged in fighting the Indians, protecting wagon trains, escorting mail deliveries and mapping the vast territories that the United States had acquired.
During the Spanish-American War in 1898, the regiment sailed to Cuba, where they remained for four years after the fighting had ended. In 1902, the regiment returned to the United States, moving its headquarters to Jefferson Barracks, Missouri and then to Fort Riley, Kansas. In 1905, the Regiment was again ordered overseas, this time to the Philippines, where troops fought insurgents. In 1907, the regiment returned stateside, where it was divided again into outposts in Nebraska, Wyoming and Arizona.
The regiment returned to the Philippines in 1910 to fight the stubborn insurgency. The Soldiers came back to the States in 1915, this time to Fort Bliss, Texas, from where they launched attacks against Mexican bandits crossing into the United States. In 1921, 8th Cavalry became one of the original units of the newly formed 1st Cavalry Division. During World War II, the regiment saw action in the Pacific Theater and was the first unit to enter Manila during the liberation of the Philippines.
The postwar years found the 8th Cavalry on occupation duty in Tokyo. When war broke out on the Korean peninsula, the regiment conducted the first amphibious landing of the Korean War and during the subsequent counteroffensive, was the first unit to enter the North Korean capital of Pyongyang. After the Korean War, the 8th Cavalry remained in the Far East on duty in Japan and guarding the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea.
During the Vietnam War, the regiment was reassigned to Fort Benning, Georgia, where it was reorganized as an airborne and airmobile unit. From there, troopers deployed to Vietnam. The regiment also participated in a number of post-Cold War operations including Desert Storm, Joint Forge (Bosnia) and Iraqi Freedom.
The 1st Cavalry Division
The 1st Cavalry Division was formed in 1921 at Fort Bliss, Texas. The division was originally composed of the 1st, 7th, 8th and 10th Cavalry Regiments, 82nd Field Artillery Battalion (Horse), 13th Signal Troop, the Ordnance Company, Division Headquarters and 1st Cavalry Quartermaster. The division's first commander was Major Robert L. Howze.
The primary mission of the division in the 1920s was patrolling on horseback the rugged terrain along the Texas-Mexican border, which was infested with bandits and smugglers. During the Depression years of the 1930s, the troopers assisted with government construction projects such as the Civilian Conservation Corps. During these transition years leading up to World War II, the troopers swapped their horses for tanks and mobile howitzers and a number of new units were added to the division.
Beginning in 1944, division troops fought the Japanese in the southwestern Pacific, most notably in the Philippines. The troopers were given the honor of leading the Allied Occupational Army into Tokyo in 1945.
The division participated in the first amphibious landing of the Korean War in 1950 and for nearly two years fought major battles throughout the peninsula. In 1952, the division was transferred to Japan and later to South Korea, where Soldiers guarded the demilitarized zone until 1965.
In the early stages of the Vietnam War, the 1st Cavalry became the first fully committed division in the war. During the war, the troopers used helicopters extensively, giving them much more speed and mobility than riding to battle on horseback, as they had only 35 years earlier.
General Creighton Abrams, while commander of all U.S. forces in Southeast Asia, paid 1st Cavalry the highest compliment when he said: "The big yellow patch does something to an individual that makes him a better Soldier, a better team member, and a better American than he otherwise would have been." The yellow patch with the black diagonal line and horse inside a shield is the division's insignia.
The division returned stateside from Vietnam in 1971 and underwent several reorganizations and received new tanks and helicopters. During Operation Desert Storm in 1991, the division performed magnificently and was instrumental in crushing Iraqi resistance. Speaking of the 1st Cavalry Division, Commander of the Allied Forces General Norman Schwarzkopf directed: "Send in the First Team. Destroy the Republican Guard. Let's go home."
Upon its return to the United States in 1991, the 1st Cavalry Division, with its headquarters at Fort Hood, Texas, became the largest division in the Army, with a number of new units and further reorganization. As in the early years, the division prides itself in being combat-ready and expeditionary. The division subsequently deployed to a number of world trouble spots, including Bosnia-Herzegovina and more recently to Iraq.
- 8th Cavalry Regiment
- 1st Cavalry Division
- Fort Riley
- Fort Bliss
- General Creighton Abrams
- General Norman Schwarzkopf
- Operation Desert Storm