By Monica Wood, Fort Sill FMWRMarch 28, 2013
FORT SILL, Okla. (March 28, 2013) -- April is Month of the Military Child and Fort Sill celebrates military children throughout the month with activities to recognize their contributions to the overall military mission.
The theme for this year's celebration is "Proud, Ready and Resilient." Military children and youth make significant contributions to our nation on a daily basis, according to Mary Michelle Turner, Fort Sill Child, Youth and School Services Parent Central Services director.
"Our monthlong celebration provides families and friends an avenue to say thank you. Our children and youth are truly very proud of their parents and the role they fill in supporting our nation," she said. "Today's military children and youth display readiness to face the many changes of our military, while remaining resilient in adjusting easily to these changes."
The month is action-packed with events scheduled throughout Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation programs.
* The fun begins with the Month of the Military Child Kick-Off Parade April 1 at 10 a.m. in the Child Development Center parking area.
* Nye Library will host a luau April 6 from 1-3 p.m.
* The Family Child Care program will host its Fun Day April 10 from 9:30-11 a.m.
* A Punt, Pass and Kick competition will be conducted April 13 at 9 a.m. at Prichard Field.
* The Fort Sill Youth Center will host an open house April 20 from 2-10 p.m.
* The School Age Center will be hosting its open house April 26 beginning at 5:30 p.m.
* The Military Child Education Coalition will have its Tell-Me-a-Story program at the Youth Center April 27 beginning at 10:30 a.m. The featured book is "Odd Velvet," by Mary Whitcomb. Each child participating will receive a free copy of the book.
Check the Month of the Military Child calendar at www.sill.mwr for a complete listing of all activities throughout April. It is also displayed in all Child Youth and School Services facilities.
April is also Child Abuse Prevention Month, and the Army Community Service Family Advocacy Program has several activities scheduled to celebrate.
Special playgroups are for military kids, birth to age 5, and their favorite big person who are invited to join the ACS New Parent Support Program staff every Monday in April from 9:30-11 a.m. to celebrate Child Abuse Prevention and Month of the Military Child. Each week will feature a different assortment of fun, developmental activities around a theme.
* April 1 join the Bubbles and Balls at the Fort Sill Youth Center.
* April 8 there will be a Toddler Olympics at the Youth Center.
* Dance the morning away at the Baby Disco April 15 at the Youth Center.
* Move outside for Play in the Park April 22 at Co-op Park.
* April 29 is a Scavenger Hunt Hike on Martha Songbird Trail.
No registration is necessary, just stop by ACS in the Welcome Center. Visit www.facebook.com/FortSillACS, for more information.
The Month of the Military Child program is sponsored by Fort Sill Federal Credit Union, USA Discounters, Picerne Military Housing and Milo Gordon Auto Mall.