Army eliminates Direct Ground Combat Definition, Assignment Rule
By Chief of Staff of the Army Gen. Raymond T. OdiernoJanuary 24, 2013
WASHINGTON (Jan. 24, 2013) -- Joint statement on behalf of the Secretary of the Army John M. McHugh, and the Chief of Staff of the Army Gen. Raymond T. Odierno.
"We welcome the decision to eliminate the Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule. Throughout over a decade of war, the leadership, contributions and sacrifice of women Soldiers have been absolutely invaluable to the Army's success. The Army has led the effort to eliminate gender-based barriers to service, such as our implementation of the exception to policy allowing women to be assigned to select positions in ground combat units at battalion level. We will continue to proactively support and implement changes to personnel policies in an integrated and phased approach."
"Over the next few months, we will continue to analyze gender neutral standards and open additional occupational specialties to women in a deliberate way that preserves unit readiness, cohesion, and morale. Fundamentally, this is about managing talent and posturing the Army and individual Soldiers for success."
- January 22, 20203/2CR takes authority of eFP Battle Group Poland
- January 21, 2020CJTF-HOA members conquer Grand Bara Race
- January 16, 2020Belvoir Soldiers train for ACFT certification
- January 14, 2020A Day on the Slope- Warrior Adventure Quest with Hohenfels ODR
- January 14, 2020Vehicle mechanics keep Army rolling throughout European theater
- January 13, 2020Women join ranks of cavalry scouts in Nebraska
- January 8, 2020Army Reserve Air Traffic Services Company redeploys from USCENTCOM mission
- January 7, 2020Single-elimination gaming tourney coming to Long Rec Center Jan. 11
- January 6, 2020The power of the purchase
- December 30, 20191032nd TC completes international line haul mission
- December 26, 2019Labor and delivery unit offers exclusive nitrous oxide program
- December 23, 20197th Special Forces Group (Airborne) Soldier Dies in Afghanistan
- December 23, 2019Future Service Members Enlist at Pittsburgh Steelers Game
- December 23, 2019Soldier wins 2019 U.S. Boxing Olympic Trials; on the road to Tokyo
- December 20, 2019What you need to know about measles
- December 16, 2019ESPN Hosts Feel Safe Around Army's New Capabilities