FORT HOOD, Texas -- A Medal of Honor recipient formerly with the 1st Cavalry Division died Nov. 9 at 89 years old from cancer in Arlington, Texas.

Retired Col. James Lamar Stone, Medal of Honor recipient and former 1st Lieutenant with the 2nd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division here, died from prostate cancer.

Stone was born in Pine Bluff, Ark., Dec. 27, 1922. His active duty Army career began in 1948 at Fort Ord, Calif.

He was awarded the Medal of Honor by President Dwight D. Eisenhower Oct. 27, 1953. The citation reads as follows:

"1st Lt. Stone distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. When his platoon, holding a vital outpost position, was attacked by overwhelming Chinese forces, 1st Lt. Stone stood erect and exposed to the terrific enemy fire calmly directed his men in the defense. A defensive flame-thrower failing to function, he personally moved to its location, further exposing himself, and personally repaired the weapon. Throughout a second attack, 1st Lt. Stone; though painfully wounded, personally carried the only remaining light machine gun from place to place in the position in order to bring fire upon the Chinese advancing from two directions. Throughout he continued to encourage and direct his depleted platoon in its hopeless defense. Although again wounded, he continued the fight with his carbine, still exposing himself as an example to his men. When this final overwhelming assault swept over the platoon's position his voice could still be heard faintly urging his men to carry on, until he lost consciousness. Only because of this officer's driving spirit and heroic action was the platoon emboldened to make its brave but hopeless last ditch stand."

After his heroic stand, Stone was captured by the Chinese and was a prisoner of war for 20 months near the Yalu River, North Korea, until five weeks after the Korean War ended, where he was repatriated in a prisoner exchange.

Stone also served a tour of duty in Vietnam, in 1971.

He retired from the Army after more than 30 years of service.

The commanding general of the 1st Cavalry Division, Maj. Gen. Anthony Ierardi, attended the funeral Nov. 14 in Arlington, Texas.

Stone is survived by his second wife, two sons and step daughter.