Reducing the Stigma of Mental Health Assistance
By Gen. George W. Casey, Jr.May 1, 2008
Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced a positive step in the continuing effort to reduce the stigma often associated with seeking professional mental health assistance. The Army requested and the Secretary of Defense won approval for revision of Question 21 on the National Security Positions Questionnaire (Standard Form 86). The revision now excludes counseling related to marital, family and grief issues. (The DOD policy is located at: www.army.mil/sf86q21)
This decision should lessen concerns that psychological or behavioral health counseling may jeopardize security clearance or adversely impact careers. This change allows issues to be identified and addressed earlier - before psychological stress escalates to a more serious condition that may further impact the individual, the unit, Families and the Army's overall readiness.
Helping to maintain physical and mental well-being of Soldiers and Army Civilians will ensure we remain Army Strong!
George W. Casey, Jr.
General, United States Army
- July 12, 2018SB Health Clinic welcomes new commander
- July 11, 2018RHC-P staff awarded for medical readiness contribution
- July 10, 2018PHA-I builds interoperability with Israeli counterparts
- July 3, 2018DHA director meets with RHC-P CG
- July 3, 2018New Army Medicine regional health commander shares leadership priorities
- July 2, 2018Defense Health Agency's director visits Madigan
- July 2, 2018Materiel enterprise attorney helps protect environment health, safety
- July 2, 2018Embedded health provider 'blends in' with paratroopers
- June 29, 2018Medal of Honor recipient encourages 'taking a knee' for behavioral health
- June 29, 2018Key in on men's health
- June 29, 2018Waters of the United States Rule-Making
- June 28, 2018Army Surgeon General visits Tripler, talks about readiness, health care, and the future
- June 28, 2018Fort Sill programs help meet spiritual needs
- June 26, 2018Bavaria Health Initiative: What's my next step?
- June 21, 2018Environmental Health works behind the scenes to keep Soldiers ready
- June 21, 2018Best Warrior Competition pushes 7ATC Soldiers to their limits