Reducing the Stigma of Mental Health Assistance
By Gen. George W. Casey, Jr.May 1, 2008
Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced a positive step in the continuing effort to reduce the stigma often associated with seeking professional mental health assistance. The Army requested and the Secretary of Defense won approval for revision of Question 21 on the National Security Positions Questionnaire (Standard Form 86). The revision now excludes counseling related to marital, family and grief issues. (The DOD policy is located at: www.army.mil/sf86q21)
This decision should lessen concerns that psychological or behavioral health counseling may jeopardize security clearance or adversely impact careers. This change allows issues to be identified and addressed earlier - before psychological stress escalates to a more serious condition that may further impact the individual, the unit, Families and the Army's overall readiness.
Helping to maintain physical and mental well-being of Soldiers and Army Civilians will ensure we remain Army Strong!
George W. Casey, Jr.
General, United States Army
- October 11, 2018RRAD legal team recognized with AMC award
- October 11, 2018USACAPOC(A) units can start inputting orders for Soldiers now
- October 4, 2018Woodard earns prestigious award for legal services leadership
- October 4, 2018INFO GRAPHIC: Fort Knox provides flu vaccine opportunities
- October 1, 2018Depot personnel hone skills during exercise
- September 24, 2018USACAPOC(A) wins Chief of Staff of the Army Supply Excellence Award
- September 21, 2018Army innovation through re-engineering
- September 20, 2018Top 3 teams recognized at the 2018 Army Best Medic Awards Ceremony
- September 14, 2018Commentary: Make retirement a win-win by vesting in the Thrift Savings Plan
- September 14, 2018LRMC OBGYN offers services for couples trying to get pregnant
- September 14, 2018Lab's top enlisted advisor meets with researchers
- September 13, 2018Washington Army National Guard compete in Best Warrior competition
- September 12, 2018Cougar brings home Ranger Tab for 2nd Squadron
- September 7, 2018AMIOP shifting culture, stigma at Fort Bliss
- September 6, 2018Army Medicine to test the limits, name 2018 U.S. Army Best Medic
- August 29, 2018Brains and Brawn; Amazing Race Test Airborne Engineer's Mental Agility and Physical Endurance