By Martin Army Community HospitalOctober 3, 2012
FORT BENNING, Ga. (Oct. 3, 2012) -- Martin Army Community Hospital has announced the 2012-2013 influenza immunization schedule.
Everyone who is at least 6 months of age should get a flu vaccine this season. It's especially important for some individuals to get vaccinated. Examples include people who are at high risk of developing serious complications like pneumonia if they get sick with the flu or those who live with or care for others at a high risk of developing serious complications. Individuals for whom it's especially important to receive vaccinations include the following:
• People who have certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.
• Pregnant women.
• People 65 years and older.
• Household contacts and caregivers of people with certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.
The Centers for Disease Control recommends that people get vaccinated against influenza as soon as 2012-2013 flu season vaccine becomes available in their community. Influenza seasons are unpredictable, and can begin as early as October.
To accommodate MACH patients' busy schedules, several special dates are planned. All active duty and Tricare eligible beneficiaries are invited to take part in one of the following immunization opportunities:
• Children younger than 5 can obtain their immunization during a well child visit at their assigned clinic.
• Patients ages 5 and older can obtain their influenza immunizations on select dates throughout October:
Oct. 10 -- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. -- Benning Conference Center, Vibbert Avenue
Oct. 12 -- 1-5 p.m. -- North Columbus Medical Home, 1100 Brookstone Centre Parkway
Oct. 15 -- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. -- Fort Benning commissary
Oct. 16 -- 2-7 p.m. -- McBride Elementary School
Oct. 17 -- 2-7 p.m. -- Fort Benning Main Post Exchange
Oct. 23 -- 2-7 p.m. -- Faith Middle School, Ingersoll Street
Oct. 25 -- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. -- Benning Conference Center, Vibbert Avenue
For additional sessions or more information please call the flu hotline at 706-544-2273 and select Public Affairs Update. Or go online to the Martin Army Community Hospital website, www.martin.amedd.army.mil, or Facebook page.