MICC awards $326 million to small business in July
By Daniel P. Elkins, Mission and Installation Contracting Command Public Affairs OfficeAugust 14, 2012
FORT SAM HOUSTON, Texas -- More than $326 million in contracts were awarded to small businesses throughout the nation for the month of July by contracting officials with the Mission and Installation Contracting Command.Through July, MICC contracting officers have awarded more than $1.6 billion in contracts to small businesses representing 44.7 percent of total small business eligible dollars awarded by the command this fiscal year. The MICC's small business goal is 47.5 percent.A revision to small business goals by the assistant secretary of the Army for Acquisition Logistics and Technology in April 2012 led to a goal increase for the MICC from 47 percent to 47.5 percent."The goal increase is welcomed news by small business owners," said Sandy Spiess, the MICC Small Business Program associate director. "A half percentage point increase in the fiscal 2012 small business goal equates to approximately $32.5 million more in small business awards."The command's small business program consists of directors here and specialists at 40 sites around the country who work closely with small business representatives to ensure maximum opportunity to compete for Army contracts is afforded across all small business categories.Small business directors here monitor each small business category throughout the fiscal year to ensure they are on track to achieve award goals established by Army Contracting Command officials. The amount of contract dollars awarded, percentage achieved and goal in each small business category through July include:- Small disadvantaged business: $834 million awarded to achieve 22.8 percent toward a goal of 24 percent.
- Service-disabled veteran owned small business: $314 million awarded to achieve 8.6 percent toward a goal of 6 percent.
- Woman-owned small business: $310 million awarded to achieve 8.5 percent toward a goal of 10 percent.
- Historically underutilized business zone: $306 million awarded to achieve 8.4 percent toward a goal of 10 percent.The MICC is responsible for providing contracting support for the warfighter across Army commands, installations and activities located throughout the continental United States, Alaska and Puerto Rico. In fiscal 2011, the command executed more than 63,000 contract actions worth almost $7 billion across the Army, including $2.8 billion to small businesses throughout the country.
- July 31, 2020US Army Europe European Best Warriors announced
- July 31, 20202CR Soldiers earn their EIB and ESB ribbons and awards
- July 30, 2020Army spouse’s website seeks pen pals for veterans
- July 28, 2020Division East chaplain recognized for his many accomplishments
- July 27, 2020Canadian Military Officer Awarded the Order of Military Medical Merit
- July 27, 2020AMCOM encourages use of virtual environment to boost telework capability
- July 27, 2020Program showcases organization’s role models, leaders
- July 24, 2020USASMDC exceeds retention goal through communication, teamwork
- July 24, 20203 MICC contracting offices combine virtual outreach to industry
- July 24, 2020Army cybersecurity researcher receives Young Investigator Award
- July 22, 2020HERO’S MANTLE -- ACS specialist earns Army Safety Guardian Award
- July 22, 2020MICC briefing to industry attracts over 450 small business reps
- July 22, 2020Update: Contracting outreach seeks to expand small business pool
- July 21, 2020ON CONTRACTING: AVOID BRIDGES TO NOWHERE
- July 16, 2020Army awards contract for Hybrid Electric prototype