Special day celebrates military heritage at youth enrichment camp
By Sgt. 1st Class Joel QuebecJuly 18, 2012
KING, N.C. -- During the week of July 8-13, the Army Reserve Child, Youth and School Services, CYSS, held their annual Enrichment Camp in conjunction with the YMCA at Camp Hanes.
Of the 200 children who spent the week there, about half were children of Army Reserve Soldiers, according to Christy Burns the chief of Family Programs for the 81st Regional Support Command. The other half were from all around the state and not affiliated with the military.
On Wednesday the 11th, there was a Military Day, designed to build resilience and to support positive self-esteem and emotional well-being in military children as well as an opportunity to educate the community in general about the many aspects of the military lifestyle.
Activities included Army heater meal tasting, camo experience where the children learned how to apply camouflage face paint, presentation of colors by NCOs of the 108th Training Command, a static vehicle display, physical training and a mini concert by the 208th Army Band.
"Our goal was to provide a day of activities that would assist both military and non-military children in embracing and celebrating military heritage," said Jennifer Stevens, CYSS specialist. "Military Day plays a big part in providing an opportunity for the children to interact with each other while increasing their knowledge and appreciation of military procedures and protocols."
- August 11, 2020Back-to School Immunizations: What you need to know
- August 6, 2020Preparedness key when facing inclement weather, emergencies
- July 30, 2020‘Life in a Day’ at Fort Leavenworth
- July 24, 2020USAG Wiesbaden child care centers keep safety top of mind
- July 24, 2020"Army Child Development Programs"
- July 23, 2020Child and Youth services, others hiring at Fort Riley
- July 13, 2020It’s What’s Inside The Heart, Not The Color That Matters
- July 13, 2020Healthy communication contributes to wellness
- July 13, 2020Fort Polk fire inspector prevents child from wandering onto highway
- July 2, 2020Army Emergency Relief
- June 19, 2020Scholarships for Military Children marks 20 years of success
- June 12, 2020Resident app, town halls improve experiences
- June 11, 2020Virtual VBS program to connect Fort Campbell Families at home
- June 11, 2020Army Materiel Command reflects on rich legacy amid the Army’s 245th birthday