FORT HOOD, Texas - A platoon sergeant for third platoon, Company D, 2nd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division was awakened by a tremendous blast on Feb. 19, 2007 while at a Joint Security Station in Tarmiyah, Iraq.

Realizing that he and his Soldiers were being attacked, Sgt. 1st Class Freddie Housey immediately grabbed his gear, shoved his sock-free feet into his boots that contained shards of glass and began assessing the severity of the situation while accounting for his Soldiers.

The attack was initiated with a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device that was followed with intense rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades and small arms fire. The VBIED hit the north side of the JSS having a catastrophic impact on the structure.

"The whole north side collapsed making it harder to fight back because there was no cover," stated Housey, a Garnett, S.C., native.

"Everyone felt like the whole city was coming in to get us," Housey said.

Not knowing what to expect, Housey maneuvered to the roof only to find out that their radios were down. He then, putting the mission and the safety of his Soldiers ahead of himself, went back down to make the initial attack report to his unit from his humvee.

"He held our platoon together," stated Sgt. James Walker, a gunner with Company D, reflecting back on the events of that day.

Back on the roof after acquiring a Harris radio, he proceeded to coordinate ground support, evacuation, attack aviation, and close air support.

"The Apaches were the first ones on the scene," said Housey, "It was the best view in the world. Everyone felt better."

"There was a sense of pride in the fight. It was amazing to see even the new Soldiers stand their ground and not give up through all that was getting thrown at us," said Housey.

The perceived intent of the enemy was to force Company D out of Tarmiyah, which was the self proclaimed capital city for insurgents, said San Diego, Calif., native Capt. Michael Doyle, the commander of Co. D.

The enemy killed one Soldier and wounded approximately 10 others but troops from Demon Company refused to abandon Tarmiyah and hours later established another combat outpost and resumed operations in the area.

Housey received a Bronze Star Medal with "V" Device for his actions.

"Sgt. 1st Class Housey performed admirably. He is the epitome of a noncommissioned officer, he is always thinking of his Soldiers before himself," said Doyle.

The humble platoon sergeant said he reacted instinctively during the attack to ensure his Soldiers made it.

"I just tried to make sure that no one else got hurt and that no one took our ground," Housey said.