APG's Earth Day/Arbor Day celebration highlights the installation's stewardship to the environment
By Rachel Ponder, APG NewsApril 27, 2012
ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. - Community members attended the Aberdeen Proving Ground's annual Arbor/Earth Day celebration held at the APG Museum April 27. The event highlighted the installation's stewardship to the environment in support of the principles of Arbor Day and Earth Day.
During the event's opening ceremony ATEC-AEC Commanding General Brig. Gen. John Regan presented awards to local students who won APG's Arbor/Earth Day Poetry and Poster Contest. This year's theme was "Trees are Terrific….from Acorn to Oak."
Garrison Commander Col. Orlando Ortiz also presented a tree slice known as a "biscuit," taken from a black oak tree that stood on APG since the early 1800s to the APG Museum. The oak tree biscuits will be used for educational purposes.
The event also featured hands-on science demonstrations and activities from APG and community organizations. Activities included appearances by Smokey the Bear and McGruff the Crime Dog; recycled T-shirt crafts; bald Eagle videos of a live eagle nest; artifacts unearthed during construction at APG and more.
- August 14, 2018New airborne system to save Soldiers' lives
- August 10, 2018Mobile command post advances set the course for survivability and overmatch
- August 9, 2018ATEC hosts cadets in cadet intern program
- August 8, 2018Fort Polk private earns Ranger tab, gets promoted
- August 3, 2018Army aims to expand vehicle computing systems for lighter, smaller options
- July 31, 2018U.S. Army Evaluation Center welcomes new SGM
- July 30, 2018Remote delivery: MRE pizza coming soon to Soldiers
- July 26, 2018From RDECOM to CECOM
- July 25, 2018The Army's Communications-Electronics Center honors Manning during SES promotion
- July 23, 2018Faces of the Force: Mr. Billy McCain
- July 20, 2018Polish, US Engineers clear a path for continued interoperability
- July 17, 2018New ATC commander assumes command
- July 13, 2018Miller takes the reigns as new commander for 20th CBRNE HHC
- July 13, 201820th CBRNE Command celebrates Independence Day at Harford County events
- July 3, 2018DHA director meets with RHC-P CG
- June 27, 2018Army fields disaster comms systems to National Guard as 2018 hurricane season begins