Armed Forces Reserve Center holds ribbon cutting ceremony
By Staff Sgt. Toshiko L. FraleyApril 20, 2012
FORT BENNING, Ga. -- The 81st Regional Support Command hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony for a new Armed Forces Reserve Center here on April 14, 2012.
This $21 million, 122,491 square foot facility was constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers and will house 13 reserve units with 463 military and civilian support personnel. The construction of this site is a part of the Base Realignment and Closure process that was announced in 2005.
Brig. Gen William J. Gothard, Deputy Commanding General, 81st RSC along with several distinguished guest took the opportunity to point out how important this opportunity is for the Army Reserve and National Guard.
"Many of us spent a lot of our earlier careers in the Army Reserve in facilities that were not up to standards," Gothard. " It really didn't represent what the Army should represent and what the Army Reserve and National Guard are all about," said Gothard.
"I'm proud to say today we've gotten the resources to replace those dilapidated World War II and Korean War era facilities." "To have a new building like this makes us proud to come to work as Soldiers and it's a kind of facility that our Soldiers deserve," said Gothard.
Of the 13 units moving into the building, the 718th Engineer Company is the largest with 161 personnel followed by the 1207th U.S. Army Hospital with 56 personnel and 3rd Battalion, 485th Regiment Detachment 3 with 54 employees.
"Coming to this building is like going to heaven," said Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Mason, NCO-in-charge of Patient Administration Division, 1207th U.S. Army Hospital. "Because where we came from it was an old rundown building. There was a time where we had to evacuate the building for six months which could have been a health hazard." Mason is also the unit administrator for the 1207th. "This is a dream come true and I can honestly say that I enjoy coming into work more now since we've moved into this facility."
- September 30, 2020Holistic health added to Army fitness doctrine
- September 29, 2020For one Soldier, serving is a family affair
- September 29, 2020DoD takes steps to safeguard supply chain
- September 29, 2020Virtual reality helping experts provide new hospital design inputs
- September 29, 2020Task Force Oceania plays pivotal role in Defender Pacific 2020
- September 28, 2020(On the other) end of the line:
On-call chaplains fight suicides
- September 28, 2020Ohio National Guard extends food bank support mission
- September 28, 2020Soldier Center’s new fabric will enhance cybersecurity, subzero weather durability
- September 28, 2020America's Pacific Division recognizes 163 Soldiers as experts
- September 25, 2020Army to build on results from first Project Convergence exercise
- September 25, 2020Leaders seek feedback on how to improve inclusion in the Army
- September 25, 2020Veteran couple brews up successful business thanks to military skills
- September 28, 2020Army North's new senior enlisted advisor reflects on COVID-19 response
- September 24, 2020Army seeks funding to modernize ammo manufacturing capabilities