By DEOMI and JFHQ-NCR/MDW Public Affairs OfficeApril 9, 2012
WASHINGTON (April 9, 2012) -- In observance of the Holocaust Days of Remembrance this year, the U.S. Army Military District of Washington Equal Opportunity office is promoting the following events within the National Capital Region:
• April 11th, there is a bus trip departing Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (JBM-HH) to the Holocaust Museum from 9:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Contact JBM-HH EO office at (703) 696-2964 for signup and details.
• April 19th, Holocaust survivor Frank Cohn will be speaking at the Fort Belvoir Officer's Club from 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Contact the Fort Belvoir EO Office at (703) 805-2288/5390 for details.
• Also on April 19th, Holocaust survivor Halina Silber will be speaking at Fort Meade's McGill Training Center from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Contact the Fort Meade EO office at (301) 677-6687 for details.
This year, the Holocaust Days of Remembrance will be observed from April 15-22. Holocaust Remembrance Day is Thursday, April 19, 2012.
The United States Congress established the Days of Remembrance as the nation's annual commemoration of the victims of the Holocaust and created the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, http://www.ushmm.org, as a permanent, living memorial to those victims. The Museum designated - "Choosing to Act: Stories of Rescue" as the theme for the 2012 observance.
In accordance with its Congressional mandate, the Museum is responsible for leading the nation in commemorating the Days of Remembrance, and for encouraging and sponsoring appropriate observances throughout the United States. Remembrance not only obligates us to memorialize those who were killed during the Holocaust, but it also reminds us of the fragility of democracy and the need for citizens to be vigilant in the protection of democratic ideals. We remember because we recognize the importance of preserving freedom, promoting human dignity, and confronting hate whenever and wherever it occurs.
If you would like to receive informative articles like this one directly to your personal email, just sign up for the MDW Friends and Family e-news notes and receive weekly updates on what is happening within MDW and the National Capital Region. Here is how you do it:
Subscribing is as easy as one, two, three!
1. Visit https://lists.army.mil/mailman/listinfo/jfhqncr_mdw
2. Add your e-mail address and name and click Submit.
3. Confirm your subscription and enjoy!