Army South Deputy Commander speaks to political science university students about SOUTHCOM
By U.S. ArmyMarch 12, 2012
Ortiz spoke to the students about Army South's mission, vision and area of responsibility, which focuses on humanitarian assistance and strengthening relationships with partner nations.Alexander Barrera, a political science and international business major at UTSA, interested in Latin America, studied abroad last summer in Argentina and found the presentation informative.
"When I found out about [this speaking engagement], it piqued my interest immediately," said Barrera. "In a sense of what you all do, I'm more informed about the area you all cover. Before today, I didn't even know there was an Army South."U.S. Army South is the Army component command of U.S. Southern Command. SOUTHCOM's area of responsibility includes 31 nations in Central and South America, and the Caribbean which covers about 15.6 million square miles.Army South conducts theater security cooperation in order to enhance hemispheric security and stability and on orders, conducts contingency operations as directed by SOUTHCOM. Army South works with army and security forces in its area of responsibility to build partner nation capacity by conducting various humanitarian, security, medical and engineer training exercises."I've seen it firsthand, the U.S. helping out," said Gina Conti, a Colombian political science and international business law major at UTSA. "I didn't know it was Army South, but I knew they were helping out with Colombia and of course the terrorism and the narcoterrorism. It was very educational."Ortiz also spoke to the students about the future of the Army and how the force will be reduced after more than a decade of fighting two wars."It is how we reduce that will be critical," said Ortiz. "As we transition to a leaner more agile Army, we must do it at a pace that allows us to retain a high quality, all-volunteer force that is lethal, versatile and ready to deploy with the ability to expand as required."
- May 28, 2020U.S. Army’s 5th Security Force Assistance Brigade Officially Activates
- May 28, 2020Army scientist receives top honors for pioneering big data security
- May 28, 2020Lean in action: Cleaning, Painting, Finishing Div.
- May 28, 2020Guardsmen support antibody testing in South Florida
- May 26, 2020Virginia Guard Red Dragons evacuate flood victims in Roanoke
- May 22, 2020INSCOM honors fallen heroes with virtual Memorial Day ceremony
- May 22, 2020‘Making MET work:’ USAISEC enables critical DOD satellite terminal upgrades
- May 22, 20201st Medical Brigade leader recognized by Dental Corps
- May 21, 2020Information Disruption Industry will impact the future Operational Environment
- May 21, 20203-2nd ADA deployment prep ran smoothly despite pandemic
- May 21, 2020USAMMC-K Soldier, military spouse recognized among USAG-Daegu's top volunteers
- May 20, 2020Southern Resident Office foresees on-time completion for $54 million warehouse construction project
- May 19, 2020RING sends humanitarian aid to the Bahamas and Timor-Leste
- May 19, 2020Housing resident’s garden vision blossoms into reality
- May 15, 2020Cal Guard Soldiers aid Los Angeles-area food banks
- May 13, 2020Army researchers develop new ways to nudge the brain