Stewart-Hunter named top Army installation
By Staff ReportMarch 8, 2012
FORT STEWAR, Ga. - For an unprecedented fifth time, Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield is bringing home gold in this year's Army Community of Excellence awards. The installation was also recognized for a separate best practice award.Stewart-Hunter has won first place in the ACOE awards four times before in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009. The latest recognition by the Army showcases the installation's dedication to Soldiers and Families said Garrison Commander Col. Kevin Milton."Taking gold in the ACOE competition for a fifth time is proof Stewart- Hunter is the best installation in the U.S. Army to train, deploy, live and raise a military Family," Col. Milton said. "I'm excited about this accomplishment. It is a testament to the hard work and resiliency of the Soldiers, Families and Army Civilians that live and work here."Stewart-Hunter began its journey toward excellence 14 years ago with the implementation of an installation strategic planning process whose sole focus is to provide a safe, secure and responsive community that enhances the installation's ability to be the nation's premier power projection platform to meet national security objectives.Simply put, all the planning and strategy translates to making Stewart-Hunter a great place, Col. Milton said."We truly are 'The Southern Living Station of Choice,'" he said. "With the support of our neighbors, together we make the word home a warm and welcoming reality for our Soldiers and Families."The best practice award recognizes the directorates of Logistics and Public Works for implementing a centralized hazardous material management process for petroleum, oil and lubricant liquids and items that tracks their use and disposal from cradle to grave.Stewart-Hunter leadership and select staff are scheduled to receive the two awards May 1 and 2 at the Pentagon. Following the 2009 win, the installation had to sit out two years in keeping with the Army's procedures on ACOE.
- May 29, 2020‘Pop-up’ Training Test Installation Support Capabilities
- May 29, 2020DA security guard share recovery stories
- May 28, 2020Lean in action: Cleaning, Painting, Finishing Div.
- May 27, 2020Huntsville Center improves hazardous materials management
- May 27, 2020New COVID-19 roadside advisories help assess risk when traveling off-post
- May 27, 2020Garrison ICE program helps meet community needs
- May 26, 2020Fort Leonard Wood community amenities reopening with precautions in place
- May 22, 2020Air Operations at Fort Hunter Liggett
- May 21, 2020New Joint Light Tactical Vehicle Course at Fort Hunter Liggett
- May 20, 2020‘Gateway to the Rock’ provides Soldiers clear, clean passage
- May 19, 2020904th CBN conducts virtual validation exercise
- April 30, 2020Cultural resource success at Fort Hunter Liggett
- April 29, 2020Fort Stewart-HAAF fire fighters send birthday wishes to community children