By Fort George G. Meade Public Affairs OfficeJune 9, 2011
FORT GEORGE G. MEADE, Md. - Motorists and commuters may have noticed a traffic backup at the Reece Road gate. The Fort Meade Directorate of Emergency Services is monitoring the situation and is taking corrective actions to resolve the situation.
Everyone should be mindful that Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates raised the Force Protection Condition to FPCON "Bravo" at all U.S. Army garrison installations.
FPCON exists to restrict access, according to certain military interests, as a result of varying degrees of believed threat.
There are four FPCON levels: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta. The condition level depends upon the nature and extent of the threat, with Delta being the highest level.
Security requirements at FPCON B are more stringent and require vehicles without a DoD decal or pass issued by the Demps Visitor Control Center to be inspected before entry onto the installation.
For ease of entry to the installation, motorists should remember the following:
* If you reside and/or work at Fort Meade, have your vehicles registered and receive a DoD decal or an extended vehicle pass.
* Rental vehicles are now required to either obtain an extended pass through the VCC or be inspected each time they enter post.
* ID cardholders who do not obtain a DoD decal or extended vehicle pass are required to have their vehicle inspected.
* The Rockenbach Road gate is available to all vehicles with a DoD decal or extended pass.
* The Rockenbach Road gate is also available as a High Occupancy Vehicle entrance. Only one lane of the Rockenbach Road gate is reserved for HOV entry during the rush hour period, 6 to 9 a.m.
* The Llewellyn Avenue gate is now open to single and multi-occupancy vehicles Monday through Friday from 6 to 8 a.m. for inbound traffic and from 4 to 6 p.m. for outbound traffic.
* The Mapes Road gate at Route 175 is open Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Overnight parking is not authorized at the Visitor Control Center. Vehicles may be towed at owner's expense.