Unified Quest 2011 Focuses on Cyber/Electromagnetic Contest
By TRADOC for STAND-TO!December 7, 2010
Unified Quest 2011 Focuses on Cyber/Electromagnetic ContestWhat is it'Both cyberspace and the electromagnetic spectrum are highly relevant to both today's military - and to modern society - they have become a global commons. As more commercial and military systems rely on the cyberspace and the spectrum to operate, the Army must adapt to assure access and counter adversary's actions. Recent events clearly indicate that both cyberspace and the spectrum are now both critical resources and potential battlegrounds.The Army's Operating Concept terms the struggle for freedom of action in these mediums, while countering our adversary's actions, as the 'cyber/electromagnetic contest' (C/EM contest). The C/EM contest is defined as that dimension of full spectrum operations whose aim is to gain advantage, maintain that advantage, and place adversaries at a disadvantage in the increasingly contested and congested cyberspace domain and the electromagnetic spectrum.The third Unified Quest Seminar, Dec. 7-10, in McLean, Va., will focus on this increasingly important aspect of military operations to answer how Army forces must fight in the C/EM contest. Moreover, it will respond to what policy changes are needed, and how to responsively provide C/EM capabilities.What has the Army done'The Army published the first service conceptual framework for cyberspace operations, the Cyberspace Operations Concept Capability Plan, in February 2010. This document was followed by an extensive C/EM Contest Capabilities-Based Assessment (CBA) completed in November 2010.
What continued efforts does the Army have for the future'Results from this seminar will be used to develop the doctrinal framework for C/EM operations. Additionally, the seminar will further development and refinement of DOTMLPF policy and to develop an integrated capability development strategy.
Why is this important to the Army'The Army's campaign of learning emphasizes adaptation as an institutional imperative in an era of persistent conflict. Adapting to the C/EM contest is fundamental to achieving full spectrum capability in a 21st century operational environment. A significant advantage will go to the organization that is able to gain, protect and exploit opportunities in the highly-contested cyberspace domain and electromagnetic spectrum.Resources:Related documents:<a href="http://www.tradoc.army.mil/tpubs/pams/tp525-3-0.pdf" target="_blank"> The U.S. Army Capstone Concept</a><a href="http://www.tradoc.army.mil/tpubs/pams/tp525-3-1.pdf" target="_blank">The U.S. Army Operating Concept</a><a href="http://www.tradoc.army.mil/tpubs/pamndx.htm" target="_blank"> The U.S. Army Functional Concept</a> can be viewed @ TRADOC website under Military Operations<a href="http://www.tradoc.army.mil/tpubs/pams/tp525-7-8.pdf" target="_blank">TRADOC Pamphlet 525-7-8, Cyberspace Operations Concept Capability Plan 2016-2028, Feb.22, 2010 </a><a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/documents/Cyberspace_Policy_Review_final.pdf" target="_blank"> Cyberspace Policy Review </a>Related STAND-TOs! :<a href="http://www.army.mil/standto/archive/2010/08/30/" target="_blank">STAND-TO! edition, August 30, 2010: The U.S. Army Operating Concept</a><a href="http://www.army.mil/standto/archive/2010/04/23/" target="_blank">STAND-TO! edition, April 23, 2010: The U.S. Army Concept Capability Plan for Cyberspace Operations 2016-2028</a>
- June 15, 2020New Beginnings: Fort Carson infantry brigade converts to Stryker brigade
- June 4, 2020Knox Hills begins annual ‘Yard of the Month’ contest, reminds residents of landscaping restrictions
- June 4, 2020Exertional Heat Illness and Coronavirus: What’s the Connection?
- May 29, 2020Ivy Soldiers Participate in Best Warrior Competition
- May 21, 2020Division West officer and wife renew wedding vows at historic Quarters One on Rock Island Arsenal
- May 19, 2020Hungry for Acquisition Reform
- April 29, 2020Delivering an On-Demand Sensor to Shooter Warfighting Capability
- April 22, 2020Fort Leonard Wood units compete in mask-making contest
- April 14, 2020Bounding Forward: Focus on sustaining an MLRS Battalion in a Contested Environment
- March 25, 2020Army selects senior research scientist for cyber resiliency
- March 19, 2020Army scientists create innovative quantum sensor
- March 11, 2020JMC Delivers Global Munitions Readiness with Logistics Initiatives
- March 6, 2020Six nations join in cyberspace training exercise in Bangkok
- March 6, 2020Army recruiter is contestant on 'The Voice'