By Retired Staff Sgt. Robert GroteAugust 27, 2010
Concerning the Soldiers July magazine cover: Really' They saluted with the left hand back then' If this is just taking creative license, then I need to say, "Shame on you."
I'd be interested to know how many inquiries you get concerning this.
Retired Staff Sgt. Robert Grote
The Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
Fort Carson, Colo.
The Soldier pictured on the cover of the July issue of Soldiers is Master Sgt. Russell Smith, head drum major of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment "The Old Guard" Fife and Drum Corps.
The head drum major is distinguished from other members of the unit in two ways: He wears the light-infantry cap, rather than the tricorn hat worn by the other musicians, and carries an espontoon in his right hand (which differs from the large mace carried by most military drum majors).
The espontoon, which looks like a spear, is a weapon, and badge of office, that was carried by officers during the 18th century; today it is used by the head drum major of the Fife and Drum Corps to issue silent commands to the unit while they are performing.
The Fife and Drum Corps head drum major is the only member of the Army authorized to salute with his left hand.
For more information about the Fife and Drum Corps visit http://www.army.mil/fifeanddrum.
- August 15, 2018New York Association of Towns members visit Fort Drum during annual conference
- August 14, 2018President signs National Defense Authorization Act at Fort Drum
- August 13, 2018MICC-Fort Drum holds first COR appreciation day
- August 10, 2018Fort Drum residents celebrate community spirit, partnership with first responders at National Night
- August 10, 2018Second qualifier narrows the field of runners to represent Fort Drum at Army Ten-Miler in October
- August 3, 2018Pennsylvania Guard activates in response to July floods
- July 31, 2018TOG Soldiers make lasting impression in Canada
- July 31, 2018Fort Drum children attend Vacation Bible School for fun with a purpose
- July 31, 2018ROTC cadets learn cultural property protection, military history and more from Fort Drum internships
- July 27, 2018FORSCOM Frontline - July 27, 2018
- July 27, 2018Strike First, Strike Hard: Medical Activity SHARP team organizes self-defense training for Fort Drum
- July 27, 2018Fort Drum community members get colorful during fun run
- July 27, 2018Soldiers get tough on sexual assault prevention
- July 26, 2018Army Community Service celebrates 53 years of supporting Soldiers, Families with Fort Drum community
- July 26, 2018Two 10th Mountain Division teams ready to represent Fort Drum in BOSS Strong competition
- July 24, 2018Trans. Corps welcomes Williamson as new Regimental Warrant Officer