By Retired Staff Sgt. Robert GroteAugust 27, 2010
Concerning the Soldiers July magazine cover: Really' They saluted with the left hand back then' If this is just taking creative license, then I need to say, "Shame on you."
I'd be interested to know how many inquiries you get concerning this.Best regards,
Retired Staff Sgt. Robert Grote
The Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
Fort Carson, Colo.The Soldier pictured on the cover of the July issue of Soldiers is Master Sgt. Russell Smith, head drum major of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment "The Old Guard" Fife and Drum Corps.
The head drum major is distinguished from other members of the unit in two ways: He wears the light-infantry cap, rather than the tricorn hat worn by the other musicians, and carries an espontoon in his right hand (which differs from the large mace carried by most military drum majors).The espontoon, which looks like a spear, is a weapon, and badge of office, that was carried by officers during the 18th century; today it is used by the head drum major of the Fife and Drum Corps to issue silent commands to the unit while they are performing.
The Fife and Drum Corps head drum major is the only member of the Army authorized to salute with his left hand.For more information about the Fife and Drum Corps visit http://www.army.mil/fifeanddrum.
- August 5, 2020151st Infantry Regiment adapts training to COVID-19 pandemic
- August 3, 2020Newly reactivated, 197th Infantry Brigade joins team that trains recruits to serve in Infantry
- August 3, 202045th Infantry Brigade Combat Team conducts annual training
- August 2, 2020Army Corps repairs aging reception battalion barracks on Fort Jackson
- July 31, 2020Mechanics, QM Soldiers support Northern Strike
- July 31, 20202CR Soldiers participate in ruck march for EIB and ESB
- July 30, 2020Escape rooms test leadership, communication skills
- July 30, 2020Vietnam veteran returns guidon
- July 29, 2020First Army battalion commander does it the ‘write’ way
- July 29, 2020NY Guard logistics Soldiers hone airdrop resupply skills
- July 28, 20201st SBCT tackles EDRE, NTC rotation load out
- July 23, 2020NY National Guard combat engineers practice explosive skills
- July 22, 2020Task Force 5 offers JRTC, Fort Polk units abatis training
- July 21, 2020Ohio’s 1st female infantry officer on COVID-19 front lines
- July 20, 2020Army explores network resiliency during annual experiment