By USAEC for STAND-TO!February 21, 2010
Secretary of the Army Environmental Awards Program: Sustaining the environment for a secure future
What is it'
The Secretary of the Army Environmental Awards represent the highest honor in the field of environmental science and sustainability conferred by the Army. These achievements demonstrate exemplary efforts in implementing innovative technologies, green remediation, endangered species protection, historic preservation, environmental restoration and sustainability.
What has the Army done'
Five installations, three teams and one individual will receive a 2009 Secretary of the Army Environmental Award for their achievements as the Army best environmental practices. The winners of the FY 2009 Secretary of the Army Environmental Awards include:
- Camp Guernsey, Wyoming Army National Guard - Cultural Resources Management, Installation
- Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield - Environmental Quality, Non-Industrial Installation
- Mr. Robert J. Chartier, U.S. Army Garrison Daegu - Environmental Quality, Individual
- Camp Withycombe, Oregon Army National Guard - Environmental Restoration, Installation
- Tanaga Island and Ogliuga Island Formerly Used Defense Site, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska District - Environmental Restoration, Team
- Fort Custer Training Center, Michigan Army National Guard - Natural Resources Conservation, Small Installation
- Fort Bragg, Natural Resources Team - Natural Resources Conservation, Team
- G-4 E-Team, U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command - Environmental Excellence in Weapon Acquisition
- Letterkenny Army Depot - Sustainability, Industrial Installation
What's planned for the future'
These award winners will go on to compete for the Secretary of Defense Environmental Awards later this year. Winners of the Secretary of Defense Environmental Awards Program will be invited to the Pentagon for a ceremony currently scheduled on June 2, 2010, at 11 a.m.
Why is this important to the Army'
The winners of this year's environmental awards stand out as examples of how environmental stewardship and sustainability play a crucial role in the Army's mission readiness. Investments that the Army makes in environmental programs and sustainability initiatives pay dividends in sustaining realistic training and testing capabilities both now and in the future.
U.S. Army Environmental Command Web site
Secretary of the Army Environmental Awards Program