Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES August 17, 2019 Guard members compete for Governor's 20 tab August 15, 2019 Soldier receives honor throwing in a first pitch at Joliet Slammers home game August 12, 2019 Protecting Against Heavy Metals August 11, 2019 Panther Paratroopers Patrol in South Kandahar August 9, 2019 DOD Official Advises Security Professionals on CTOC Strategy August 7, 2019 Calming the Storm: Army Medics compete to be the best August 2, 2019 Survivor Addresses Sexual Violence, Prevention July 30, 2019 USACAPOC Soldiers immerse themselves in the French language July 22, 2019 XVIII Airborne Corps memorializes fallen leader July 19, 2019 Protectors welcome new commander at ceremony on JBLM July 18, 2019 ASAP is available to help July 15, 2019 Welcome Home ceremonies reunite Commando Soldiers and Families July 15, 2019 Interactive Notes from the Underground July 10, 2019 Iron Soldier Recognized by El Paso Leaders June 28, 2019 AMCOM Command Sergeant Major speaks to emerging leaders about honor June 19, 2019 3rd Cavalry touts efforts in helping Iraqis defeat ISIS