Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES November 19, 2018 35th Combat Aviation Brigade Commander Visits With Soldiers November 15, 2018 Pennsylvania Guardsman zeroes in on President's 100 award November 15, 2018 Hollywood Stars Align for Soldier with a Diamond November 7, 2018 Labor of Love: Volunteers Make a Difference on Fort Carson November 7, 2018 SecArmy visits Mountain Post, speaks with Soldiers November 7, 2018 133rd Army National Guard Band provides more than just music November 6, 2018 Gen. Milley speaks at Lt. Col. Matthews promotion in D.C. National Guard November 6, 2018 Army Reserve Soldiers begin Veteran's Day observances with local elementary school November 3, 2018 Soldier for Life: Female Iraq native empowers Kosovo mission through personal experience October 16, 2018 1st TSC Commanding General Speaks at the Operational Contract Support Course October 12, 2018 Tennessee National Guardsmen speak with university students October 12, 2018 Iron Strike 18: Troops participate in PCMS training exercise October 10, 2018 World War II vet and Iron Soldier eyes 100th Birthday; reflects on service and family