Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES November 27, 2019 Family members go extra miles with their Soldier November 27, 2019 Secretary of the Army speaks at American Enterprise Institute November 27, 2019 A super Thanksgiving at the Commando Cafe November 25, 2019 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Celebrates Return from CENTCOM Deployment November 25, 2019 Russian language course can boost counterdrug efforts, pay November 20, 2019 Army Acquisition Leaders Must "Speak Truth To Power" November 20, 2019 Fort Leonard Wood's 787th MPs build esprit de corps at Iron Praetorian Challenge November 20, 2019 TRADOC General Speaks with FORSCOM Commanders, Emphasizes Teamwork, Recruiting, Leadership November 18, 2019 Iraqi Troops take charge of logistics November 15, 2019 Army Reserve Soldiers reach out through Chicagoland communities to share the story of veterans November 14, 2019 10th Mountain Division commander speaks at Veterans Day breakfast November 12, 2019 SecArmy speaks to West Point cadets about resilience November 12, 2019 Medal of Honor recipient speaks to youth about Army opportunities October 31, 2019 101st brigade returns from ISIS fight after helping build up Iraqi Army