Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES April 19, 2019 Color Fest: 2,500 attend spring-themed celebration April 18, 2019 Warsaw Ghetto, Holocaust survivor speaks at Fort Knox Days of Remembrance and Holocaust Remembrance April 18, 2019 Security enterprise will miss workhorse manager April 17, 2019 Army Directive 2019-15 (Enlisted Centralized Selection Boards) April 16, 2019 Army autonomous vehicles dedicated to 88M fallen Soldiers April 15, 2019 PB mayor speaks at Women's History Month luncheon April 12, 2019 RIA Self-Guided Tour: The Rodman Gun April 11, 2019 Task Force Iron Eagles Kick off SHARP Awareness Month while Overseas April 10, 2019 I Corps officer recalls his Hollywood try April 8, 2019 Benelux community leaders speak about overcoming adversity during Women's History Month April 4, 2019 95th Division to hold 70th reunion in Lawton-Fort Sill April 2, 2019 Small biz owners maxed out Vendor Fair March 28, 2019 Rwandan Massacre survivor speaks at Fort Leonard Wood 'Champions of Peace' event March 25, 2019 AMCOM's Chief Counsel speaks of Huntsville woman who broke barriers at Redstone Arsenal March 21, 2019 Women leaders speak about their occupations, experiences March 14, 2019 Fort McCoy ArtiFACT: Iron trivet