Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES May 17, 2018 SMDC commanding general speaks at CSU Army ROTC commissioning May 16, 2018 Welcome to Fort Polk May 16, 2018 Welcome.. May 16, 2018 Hello sir... May 15, 2018 US, Singapore Soldiers enjoy Tiger Balm 18 sports day May 14, 2018 Aeromedical training teaches troops how to preserve life May 14, 2018 US Army, Iraqi forces train in combat medical care to enhance fight against ISIS May 13, 2018 Field Service May 11, 2018 Army Nursing: Resilience is key May 11, 2018 'Iron Dragons' fire from the sky during gunnery training May 10, 2018 Garrison conducts all hands meetings May 3, 2018 Know a Nurse, Know a hero May 3, 2018 Changes coming for early intervention services referrals May 2, 2018 West Point hosts monument rededication and 92nd Anniversary Ceremony for Margaret Cochran Corbin April 27, 2018 BOSS Strong Premiere and BOSS program, future hashed out April 27, 2018 Warsaw Ghetto survivor speaks at Fort Knox Days of Remembrance Holocaust commemoration