Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES June 25, 2019 How to prepare for, respond to extreme heat June 20, 2019 Globetrotter visits Fort Sill, speaks with Army youth June 19, 2019 Families prepare to welcome returning Catamount Soldiers June 13, 2019 Garrison exercise to prepare staff, host nation to deal with emergencies June 12, 2019 Camp Zama's Class of 2019 graduates, prepares for next chapter June 10, 2019 Preparing for the ACFT one cup at a time June 3, 2019 Alaska Army National Guard aviation prepares for future operations May 29, 2019 Soldiers prepare for exercise Astral Knight 19 in Slovenia May 28, 2019 1972d COSC: Forging Iron Teams