Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES July 20, 2018 You've Got Questions? We've Got Answers July 18, 2018 Exploring Soldier performance 'at both ends of the barrel' July 17, 2018 AMCOM Special Operations aviation leader honored with Presidential Rank award July 16, 2018 Mayhem Mortars improve Iraqi lethality July 16, 2018 Coalition medical training saves Iraqi lives July 10, 2018 100 years of civil service July 3, 2018 Chat and Chew kicks off Suicide Prevention Awareness Month June 29, 2018 Iraqi and US guns bring steel rain to ISIS June 25, 2018 'Iron Orthopedics' named Army Medicine's Wolf Pack June 20, 2018 SMDC leader speaks at National Space Club breakfast June 11, 2018 201st EMIB Soldiers Compete for Title of I Corps Best Warrior June 11, 2018 201st EMIB Soldiers compete for title of I Corps Best Warrior June 11, 2018 Backbone of the Army: Cal. National Guard NCOs share experiences, knowledge with Afghan enlisted lea June 6, 2018 Army leaders learn by retracing WWII campaign June 2, 2018 Albanian-American from Kosovo serves with KFOR at Camp Bondsteel May 31, 2018 ASC officers speak at Memorial Day events