Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew Ingram
January 11, 2010 1 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Al Azim, the 4th Infantry Division Cultural and Political advisor, teaches Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div., the importance of cultural sensitivity during Iraqi cultural awareness training at Fort Carson's Alternate Escapes Oct. 7. Soldiers attended the class to enhance their combat readiness and learn to work with the Iraqi people. VIEW ORIGINAL 2 / 2 FORT CARSON, Colo. - Soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, participated in cultural sensitivity training Oct. 7 at Fort Carson Alternate Escape. The Iraqi cultural training was part of a 3-day civil affairs course instructing Soldiers on the basics of civil affairs. VIEW ORIGINAL
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone. RELATED STORIES September 18, 2018 Wiesbaden Library offers a window to many worlds September 17, 2018 The Civilian Deployment Experience September 14, 2018 Benelux Employment, Volunteer and Career Expo provides wealth of information to community members September 13, 2018 Why Motrin? September 13, 2018 Karen Pence and Leah Esper Hold Roundtable with Military Spouses At Fort Detrick September 13, 2018 Policy prohbitis improper waste disposal September 12, 2018 Ticks cause uptick in disease September 6, 2018 Former depot leader speaks on Women's Equality Day August 30, 2018 Army Releases New Training Reference - Army Doctrine Publication (ADP) 7-0 August 30, 2018 Airmen make it rain Soldiers in Predictable Iron August 29, 2018 Ready Chef Competition August 29, 2018 HRC deputy speaks at Women's Equality Day Observance August 27, 2018 Deputy Surgeon General speaks on Women's Equality August 22, 2018 Living Legacy: 100-year-old Army nurse speaks to group of nursing students August 21, 2018 Intel Workshop Combines Coalition and Iraqi Experiences August 14, 2018 AMRDEC Director speaks at Town Hall