Iron Brigade prepares for deployment with cultural awareness training
By by Pfc. Andrew IngramJanuary 11, 2010
1. Use the Iraqi Army and Police forces as a resource.
2. Study and respect the local culture and customs.
3. Never confuse religion with ethnicity. If referring to an Arab or a Kurd you are speaking of ethnicity. When referring to a Shiite or Sunni Muslim you are speaking of religion.
4. Do your homework: What is your mission' Who will you come in contact with'
5. Speak and act respectfully to Iraqi nationals. Do not demean or embarrass anyone.