By Army Materiel Command Public AffairsNovember 23, 2009
REDSTONE ARSENAL, Ala. - The 2009 Army Lean Six Sigma Excellence Awards recipients were recently announced and the U.S. Army Materiel Command garnered six of the 11 titles.
The Army Lean Six Sigma Recognition and Awards Program, or LEAP, was signed into effect by the Secretary of the Army and Chief of Staff in July 2008.
The recipients of LEAP awards are selected by a board consisting of representatives from organizations throughout the Army which have employed Lean Six Sigma methodologies.
"Our commanders are constantly challenged to provide logistical support in multiple locations, often for new requirements and usually against very short timelines," said Ron Davis, AMC's deputy chief of staff for Business Transformation.
"They are looking for innovative ways to improve our processes so that we can more efficiently and effectively accomplish AMC's missions. Lean Six Sigma is providing a solid roadmap to providing these critical improvements."
According to Davis, LSS has saved AMC more than $1 billion over the last five years. The 2009 AMC LEAP recipients are:
* Joint Munitions Command, Rock Island, Ill. - Subordinate Level Organizational Development Award
* Army Sustainment Command, Rock Island, Ill. - Enterprise-level gated project team award for "CPSI Reset Cycle Time Reduction" led by Robert Farr
* ASC - Non-Enterprise gated project team award for "Streamlining the DOL Supply Operations" led by Jose Marquez.
* U.S. Army CECOM, Fort Monmouth, N.J. - Gated Project Team Award for "G3/5-Improving Sparing Level Recommendation" led by Devon Morrese.
* Tobyhanna Army Depot, Tobyhanna, Pa. - Non-Gated Project Team Award for "Battery Assembly Project" led by Seth Tiel.
* Rock Island Arsenal Joint Manufacturing and Technology Center, Rock Island, Ill. - Non-Gated Project Team Award for "Forward Repair System Improvement" led by Greg Lupton.
"It is my firm belief that Lean Six Sigma is no longer a program we can stop doing at AMC. It is a way we do business and it is here to stay," said Davis. Recognition of all award recipients took place at the Pentagon Hall of Heroes November 24.