USARPAC Soldiers run in Singapore Army Half Marathon
By Sgt. 1st Class Jason Shepherd, United States Army, Pacific Public AffairsSeptember 9, 2009
SINGAPORE- Temperatures in the 100s and high humidity were just a few of the obstacles six members of United States Army, Pacific had to endure during a Singapore Army-sponsored half marathon here, Aug. 21.The USARPAC team finished 8th out of 25 teams from around the world.Sgt. 1st Class Paul Lancaster finished the 13.1 mile race in 49th place with a time of 1:19:08.Sgt. Sammy Ngatia finished with a time of 1:21:34 and Capt. Shawn Dodge was in at 1:22:07. Second Lt. Ashley Gilbert was the first female finisher for the team, coming in at 1:38:24.Capt. John Mozer and Capt. Deborah Stonerook rounded out the team, running 1:22:36 and 1:46:12 respectively.Though the heat, humidity and course were tough, Lancaster said that the Singapore Army was a great host and the scenery during the race was spectacular."Singapore is a beautiful place and very clean," Lancaster said. "The Singapore Army was very friendly, courteous and always professional."According to Lancaster, more than 10,000 people took part in the event.The USARPAC team used the half marathon in Singapore as a precursor for the upcoming Army 10 miler in Washington D.C. Oct. 4.Lancaster said he has high hopes for the USARPAC team, with the ultimate goal of winning first place for the Active Duty Men's and Women's teams."My number one goal is bringing the Commanders Cup to Hawaii for the first time," Lancaster said. "Personally, I would be happy with anything under 55 minutes but I can't focus on myself. I need to make sure that our team is prepared for all five of us to run as fast as we are capable of on 4 October."
- June 4, 2020Class of 2020 settling in, preparing for graduation after return to West Point
- May 28, 2020Lean in action: Cleaning, Painting, Finishing Div.
- May 26, 2020Fort Knox teachers thank parents for partnering with them to ‘finish the year well’
- May 19, 2020Corps of Engineers helps Montana prep for COVID-19 future
- May 16, 2020USACE helps Montana, FEMA prepare for COVID-19 future
- May 5, 2020NY National Guard Soldiers aid at rural drive-thru dairy
- May 4, 2020NY Guard delivers 4.5 million meals, half-million test kits
- May 1, 2020Children personalize medals for Florida Guard and partners
- April 30, 2020Back to the Future: Soldier begins again to finish what he started in 1992
- April 28, 2020On the Road: Md. Army Guard Soldiers deliver food, supplies
- April 10, 2020First group of newly-trained Soldiers departs Fort Benning amid elaborate health precautions
- April 9, 2020Rainbow Haggadah reminds Jewish GIs of the meaning of freedom
- March 24, 2020DPW duo reduces barracks workorders