FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. — Demolition of Bldg. 430 is expected to be complete in early April, according to the Directorate of Public Works Environmental Division.
The building, located on Missouri Avenue and most recently known as the 'Ike Skelton House,' was constructed in 1941 under the U.S. Army Mobilization Program as the local Red Cross field director’s office, and served as such for 58 years.
Per the construction standard for World War II-era Red Cross offices, it was built in the shape of a cross and hosted red shingles to make it “distinguishable from the air and not fired upon in times of war.”
In 1999, it was converted to VIP guest quarters and renamed the Ike Skelton House after U.S. Rep. Ike Skelton from Missouri.
In coordination with the State Historic Preservation Office, there will be interpretive signage added to the former Command Flagpole area (just to the south) and the Red Cross in the concrete in front of the building was removed and relocated to the same area.
The demolition process also includes removal of the parking lot behind the building.