JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. – As winter weather brings cloud cover, rain and the chance of snow and ice to the Pacific Northwest, these short days can feel like the dark ages.
Harsh winter conditions present unique perils to service and community members on Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Fortunately, the hazards of cold weather can be mitigated by staying informed and planning for the cold days ahead.
“We don’t often get severe winter weather here at JBLM, but it’s very important that we are prepared for it nonetheless,” said Thomas Olsen, JBLM Directorate of Public Works operations and maintenance division chief. “We have our crews prepared and ready to handle the challenges of snow and ice, if we see any this year.”
Though the chances of being snowed in are low, stocking up on food and household supplies, refilling necessary medication and winterizing your home and vehicle can save a lot of time and keep stress levels low this season, Olsen said.
In the event that inclement weather conditions cause road and facility closures on base, the primary means of notification is JBLM Alert.
“The JBLM Alert system sends users text and call alerts about JBLM and Pierce County area emergencies and other critical community information,” said Ted Solonar, JBLM Directorate of Emergency Services deputy director. “It is one of the fastest ways to receive severe weather alerts, unexpected road closures, law enforcement incidents and other urgent concerns relevant to the community.”
Alert notifications and base announcements are also available on the Army’s Digital Garrison app. Available on both the Apple store and Google Play, the Digital Garrison app provides users with timely information regarding base events, facility operating hours and Army and Air Force Exchange Service deals.
Inclement weather may happen any day. If road conditions deteriorate, or if there is an early release or late arrival, the JBLM Watch Office and the JBLM Garrison Public Affairs Office will alert service members, family members, and civilian employees via:
• JBLM Website – https://home.army.mil/lewis-mcchord/
• Weather and Road Conditions pdf – https://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/roadconditions/roadcon.pdf
• JBLM Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/JBLewisMcChord/
• JBLM Twitter page – https://twitter.com/JBLM_PAO
• JBLM Digital Garrison App “Push Notifications” – Free on Apple App Store and Google Play
• Alert! – Government text, phone and work computer notifications for DOD persons and families. To sign up go to https://alert.csd.disa.mil/SelfServiceDOD/SelfService/DoDNoticeAndConsent
• JBLM Alert (Everbridge) – Commercial text and phone notification for non-DOD persons. To sign up go to https://home.army.mil/lewis-mcchord/index.php/my-Joint-Base-Lewis-Mcchord/all-services/jblm-alert
• Recorded weather message – AM 1500
• Inclement Weather phone message – 253-967-1733
• Direct phone alerts from the Watch Office to JBLM units