1. The first weekend of 2021 will be as most anticipated New Year in modern history and like many holidays celebrated in 2020, will be held under very different circumstances. CSM Chaplin and I know we all have much to celebrate, including the possibility of a vaccine that should end or at least reduce the threats of the COVID-19 pandemic. While COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed and administered as quickly as possible, routine processes and procedures remained in place to ensure the safety of any vaccines that are authorized or approved for use. Safety is a top priority.
2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Emergency Use Authorizations (EUA) for two COVID-19 vaccines that have been shown to be safe and effective as determined by data from the manufacturers and findings from large clinical trials. Vaccines for COVID-19 are available after they are demonstrated to be safe and effective in large clinical trials, have been authorized by the US Food and Drug Administration, and have been manufactured and distributed safely and securely.
3. CSM Chaplin and I always want every team member of 8th Theater Sustainment Command to remain vigilant at all times to protect the readiness and safety of the force. Ensure you and all of your Ohana are adhering to State and military guidance for mitigating the COVID-19 threat. Stay home and minimize unnecessary social contact. If venturing out, ensure you practice proper hygiene, wear protective masks, practice social distancing, and remember that non-mission essential social gatherings exceeding 5 people are prohibited.
4. If you’re going to drink, even one alcoholic drink, don’t drive, period – Have a Designated Driver before you drink. First-line supervisors shall talk one-on-one with their Soldiers about their planned activities. You can find thousands of K. I. S. S. Safety Tips covering Airports to Zip-Lines on the front page of 8th TSC NIPR portal or at https://army.deps.mil/Army/sites/8tsc/SpStaff/Safety/SitePages/K.I.S.S%20Tips.aspx.
5. We want the 8th TSC team to maintain a sound balance between work and off-duty/family time. Have a safe, enjoyable and meaningful holiday! SUSTAIN THE FORCE! The proponent for this memorandum is the 8th TSC Safety office, Mr. Tim Ah Young-Shelton at (808) 787-1080 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay safe, stay HEALTHY, and stay 13 feet from people sneezing or coughing, 6 feet from ALL others unmasked! HOOAH!
E' Hau'oli (happy) Makahiki (year) Hou (new) (Eh-how-OH-lee mah-kah-hee-kee ho).