It’s the holiday season, and for many people, that means spending more money compared to other times of the year.
Whether you are looking to make extra cash for the holidays, want to do a little shopping, or need to rehome some clutter, Amanda Wright hopes you will consider making the Fort Gordon Thrift Shop a part of your plan.
Like numerous businesses and organizations, the Fort Gordon Thrift Shop, a nonprofit organization, has suffered as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Prior COVID-19, when the shop was operating at full capacity, Wright, Fort Gordon Thrift Shop manager, said she saw “anywhere from 35 to 40 people” consigning up to 20 items each day.
“That’s a lot of new items coming in and rotating throughout facilities, and we’re not getting that right now,” Wright said. “We’ve probably topped maybe 15 since we’ve opened back up.”
The shop temporarily closed in March and reopened in August to just one day a week. Now that it is back open two days a week – plus the first Saturday of each month – Wright feels optimistic business will increase as more people learn the shop is open.
“We’re about 50 percent new inventory coming in, which is really imperative for us, because it helps everything move,” she said. “We’re hoping to get back up to that.”
The Fort Gordon Thrift Shop is part of the Fort Gordon Spouses’ and Civilians’ Club (FGSCC). Profits from the shop go toward scholarships and grants program under the FGSCC.
“All of our money, after all of my operating costs, goes to grants and scholarships for our Fort Gordon military community,” Wright said.
Only Department of Defense ID cardholders are eligible to consign, but anyone with access to the installation can shop.
Consigners are limited to consigning 20 items per day with no more than 10 being clothing items. Consigners receive 70 percent of each item sold; the remaining 30 percent goes to the thrift shop. In an effort to mitigate COVID-19 risks, the process for consigning has changed. Consigners no longer have to wait while an employee or volunteer sorts through their items.
“All you need to do is fill out your [consignment form] and place it in a tub or bin and bring it in with your items,” Wright said.
Items will be placed in a 24-hour quarantine, disinfected, then tagged and placed out for sale the following business day.
“That’s just to ensure the safety of my employees and volunteers and also help mainstream the process for the [consigner] so that they’re not waiting in line around a whole bunch of people.”
Additional safety measures include mandatory wearing of face covers, plexiglass partitions at counters, and hand sanitizer located throughout the shop.
As for reasons Wright thinks people should consider spending their money at the Fort Gordon Thrift Shop, the answer is quite simple, she said.
“We price everything really fair. We really do price things to help not only move items, but also to give back to those who maybe can’t afford a pair of jeans for their kids … Here you’re going to find them for anywhere from $1 to $3 for most baby and kids’ clothes,” Wright said.
Donations are always welcomed and may be dropped off at the shop during regular operating hours or in the donations shed onsite after-hours. Mattresses, old box TVs and car seats cannot be accepted.
The Thrift Shop is open every Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the first Saturday of each month from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Fort Gordon Thrift Shop will be closed Thanksgiving week and will reopen Dec. 1.
Check out “The Fort Gordon Thrift Shop” on Facebook for the most up-to-date information.
Interested in volunteering?
The Fort Gordon Thrift Shop would not exist without volunteers. No amount of time is too small, and the incentives are grand.
Volunteers are eligible to receive between 75 to 85 percent on consigned items, discounts on “Thrift Shop Property” items, and financial assistance with child care.
“Any amount of time that someone could give, we would love it,” said Amanda Wright, Fort Gordon Thrift Shop manager.
To learn more, drop by during regular business hours, send an email to FortGordonThriftShop@gmail.com, or send a message through The Fort Gordon Thrift Shop Facebook page.