Gary Sinise Foundation sponsors 245th Army Birthday Lunch
By Rosie IrizarryJune 22, 2020
FORT BUCHANAN, PR -- In observance of the 245th US Army Birthday, Fort Buchanan’s Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (DFMR) prepared approximately 180 free lunches for Active Duty Service members in uniform or with valid active duty CAC IDs. The meals, sponsored by the Gary Sinise Foundation (GSF) Serving Our Heroes Program were distributed at the Community Club and Conference Center June 12, 2020.Eric M. Burgos, community club manager, led the initiative. The drive-thru / pick-up meals were prepared by DFMWR chefs, Jorge González and Damián Santiago along with cooks, Jacky Rojas and Sheila López. These were packaged by Carolyn Pérez, Karla Reyes, Yolanda Rivera, Maelina Ramos, and Estrella Casanova.The lunches were handed out to Service Members by US Army Garrison Fort Buchanan Commander, Col. Joseph B. Corcoran III and Garrison Command Sgt. Maj. Heriberto Quintana.Col. Corcoran and Command Sgt. Maj. Quintana made the distribution fun for Service Members as they drove up to receive their meals by asking the trivia question “How old is the Army?” Some responses were interesting and the majority of Soldiers not only knew the age of the US Army but also that of services, such as the Puerto Rico National Guard.Our Army’s history of service to the nation is part of the enduring fabric of America’s legacy, Fort Buchanan thanks DFMWR staff and the Gary Sinise Foundation for supporting our troops while commemorating the 245th Army Birthday.
- August 3, 2020ROTC Summer Camp, Operation Agile Leader begins in Puerto Rico!
- July 31, 2020Transportation Corps, 58th Trans. Bn. observe anniversaries one day apart
- July 31, 2020USAG Bavaria recognizes 700 volunteers
- July 29, 2020Fort Buchanan Army Reserve Center Ground Breaking Ceremony
- July 28, 2020“Growing Through Adversity” premiere - release of the U.S. Army Chaplain Corps’ first Strong Bonds film
- July 23, 2020Fort Buchanan Running Track Memorialization - Dedication Ceremony
- July 22, 2020USAG Fort Buchanan welcomes its 10th Command Sergeant Major
- July 22, 2020Fort Leonard Wood chaplains reflect on 245th anniversary of Chaplain Corps
- July 17, 2020USAG Bavaria ACS recognizes community volunteers in honor of 55 years of service
- July 13, 2020MSCoE Sends: Living the Army Profession
- July 10, 2020George C. Marshall Award Recipient Joins the Puerto Rico Army National Guard
- June 19, 2020Fort Buchanan virtual 245th Army Birthday Commemoration