MADIGAN ARMY MEDICAL CENTER, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. – In this time of social distancing and self-isolation in an effort to combat the spread of COVID-19, we strongly encourage that all of our patients establish their MHS GENESIS Patient Portal account. MHS GENESIS is the new electronic health record for the Military Health System (MHS) that provides enhanced, secure technology to manage your health information. As Madigan and its outlying clinics transition to using more virtual care appointments, this will help you and your care team manage many of your healthcare needs remotely.
There are two pre-requisites for accessing the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal:
1. You need to have accessed care at a site using MHS GENESIS. This can be as simple as filling a prescription at Naval Hospital Bremerton, having an appointment with your provider in the clinic, or visiting the Madigan Emergency Department. All active duty personnel have a record of care established in MHS GENESIS during inprocessing at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
2. You will need to establish a DS Logon account by creating a username and password at the following website: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement.
*Please note: The process of completing the online application to establish a DS logon account takes approximately 10 minutes and some of questions may seem intrusive, but it’s to protect your information. The intent of asking for this level of information is to eliminate the chance of unauthorized access to your health information. This application only needs to be done once to establish your account. Active duty and any other personnel with a common access card, or CAC, may use that to login through the DS Logon site.
Note: All sponsors should validate “Relationship” settings to ensure spouses can select and view their dependent’s portal in their Patient Portal. To update visit: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement
Key features within in the Patient Portal to manage your healthcare needs include:
- Secure Messaging with your care team: You will be able to send a message, similar to an e-mail, directly to your primary care manager (PCM) and care team through the portal. More importantly, the care team can send messages directly back to you through the portal. When you have a portal message, you’ll receive a notification (usually through personal e-mail) that there is a new message in the portal for you. In addition, parents can send messages to their child’s PCM on their behalf and take care of a host of other needs as well. This can range from a request to fill out forms to many other needs.
- Request prescription renewals: The list of your active prescriptions is displayed within your portal profile. You can select the medication and request the provider renew that prescription.
- Ability to see future appointments: All of your scheduled appointments can be seen in the patient portal. You can also send a message to the care team for an appointment request and other needs.
Much like email is sent between parties, messages and requests you send your provider and care team are received in their message center inbox and are associated with your specific electronic health record within MHS GENESIS, making it easier to address your concern and respond much faster. Unlike using the phone, the portal is always accessible 24/7 every day.
The clinical staff at Madigan and its outlying clinics are dedicated to the health and welfare of our patients. Utilizing the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal helps our clinical team address your needs more efficiently while also operating in accordance with CDC guidance on social distancing and other preventive measures as much as possible, decreasing the risk of exposure to COVID-19 for our patients and staff. At this unique time, it is important that everyone in our communities, both patients and health care teams, take extraordinary measures to protect each other and our community.
Army Medicine, Army Strong: Care with Compassion.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS BY BENEFICIARIES
What is MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is your direct connection with healthcare professionals at Department of Defense. The MHS GENESIS Patient Portal provides access to your EHR and contains your most current medical and dental information via a secure website. It connects you to your MTF’s healthcare team and is available anytime, anywhere you have internet access, and provides a complete view of your and your family’s health records. Use our online tools to manage your health whenever and wherever you have Internet access.
Key features include:
- View, download, and share your medical record
- Securely message with your PCM and care team
- Schedule, view, and manage appointments
- Request prescription renewals
How will I benefit from the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
The MHS GENESIS Patient Portal securely connects you with your healthcare team and empowers you to become the driver of your healthcare. With the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal you can:
- Manage primary care medical and dental appointments
- Review clinical notes, lab and test results
- Request prescription renewals
- Renewals occur when a prescription has no refills left, or has expired, and the beneficiary needs to continue taking the medication. In this case, MTF staff evaluates and creates a new prescription, if appropriate.
- New prescription renewals are done only through MHS GENESIS
- Exchange secure messages with your healthcare team
- Monitor health information and view your portal profile
- Complete a pre-visit, dental health history questionnaire online
- Look up high quality, provider approved health information related to health issues, lab results, and medications
How do I access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
Once you have a health record in MHS GENESIS (the EHR used by your provider and available only to sites with MHS GENESIS), you can access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal account using your DS Logon Username and Password. You must have a DS Logon Premium (Level 2) Account to view your MHS GENESIS health record. If you have an existing DS Logon account, you will need to upgrade your account to Premium (Level 2). For upgrade and/or password assistance, visit https://myaccess.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement/help.do.
Where can I access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
You can access your MHS GENESIS Patient Portal at https://patientportal.MHSGENESIS.health.mil, anywhere in the world, 24/7, and on the device of your choosing.
Who can use the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
Anyone who is a beneficiary at participating MTFs using MHS GENESIS can use the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal. You can access your own information after you have signed into your account. If you are authorized, you can also access information about your family members.
Is the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal secure?
Yes, the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is secure, protected by encryption technology and meets strict Department of Defense cybersecurity standards. You and your authorized family members can safely view your healthcare information online.
Is my health information private in the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
Yes, your health information is protected throughout MHS GENESIS system. Privacy and security safeguards are in place to protect your personal health information.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule, a federal law, requires your healthcare providers to give you a Notice of Privacy Practices to inform you how your information may be used and shared, as well as, how you can exercise your rights under the HIPAA Privacy Rule. The same privacy rules that protect your paper records also protect your EHR.
- The HIPAA Security Rule, also a federal law, gives you rights over your health information and sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information. Standards include access controls, like tracking who can access your health information and password protections.
- Note: All content in the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is considered FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY. When printing any content, stamp all printed pages with FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY.
Can I see all my healthcare information in the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
You will be able to see most, but not all, of your healthcare information. Some details and clinical information may not appear. Contact the medical records department at your MTF if you would like copies of all the information in your health record.
Are all MTFs using MHS GENESIS?
Not immediately. MHS GENESIS will be phased in over the next several years throughout the entire Military Health System. The initial sites are in the Pacific Northwest Region deployment began in 2017. All other MTFs will be incrementally phased in and announced closer to their deployment date.
What happens to my healthcare information if I am a beneficiary at a MTF that uses MHS GENESIS, but I must then be treated at a MTF where MHS GENESIS has not yet been implemented?
Your healthcare information stored in MHS GENESIS will remain there. However, MTFs not yet connected to MHS GENESIS will also have access to the healthcare information stored in MHS GENESIS. Certain healthcare information collected at the facilities not yet using MHS GENESIS can be viewed by logging into TRICARE Online’s patient portal at https://www.tricareonline.com, and RelayHealth’s MiCare at https://app.mil.relayhealth.com.
Can I still use TRICARE Online (TOL)?
Yes, beneficiaries will maintain access to their healthcare information from previous Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA) encounters via TOL Blue Button. In addition to beneficiaries accessing their healthcare information in MHS GENESIS via the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, beneficiaries will access MHS GENESIS Patient Portal to schedule primary care appointments. To refill prescriptions, beneficiaries should continue to use AudioCARE. However, beneficiaries should access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal to send a message to their healthcare team requesting prescription renewals. Once a beneficiary or MTF staff moves to a non-MHS GENESIS site, they will resume use of MiCare or TOL.
Now that I am using the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, what happens to my MiCare account?
The MHS GENESIS Patient Portal replaces MiCare while you receive care at a site using MHS GENESIS. If you move to a site not that has not yet converted to MHS GENESIS, you will resume use of your MiCare account.
Will I be able to use the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal when I PCS?
If you are transferring to a site with MHS GENESIS, you will continue using the same MHS GENESIS Patient Portal. If you are moving to a site without MHS GENESIS, you will resume use of TRICARE Online to schedule appointments and MiCare to exchange messages with your provider, until that site converts to MHS GENESIS. Your MHS GENESIS Patient Portal will continue to be available but new information will not be added. Below are links for your reference: The TRICARE Online public link is: http://www.tricareonline.com
The TRICARE Online login link is: https://myaccess.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement/sso/mhs-genesis/www.tricareonline.com/init.do
Madigan’s Social Media Links: