By Margarita Ruiz JohnsonJune 25, 2009
I am the short young female at the early age of 19 on page 5 (March 2009 issue), in the center of the picture. I was completing my training at Fort McClellan, Ala., and waiting for orders to go to Fort Harrison, Ind. to attend the finance and accounting school.
During my tenure, I served at Fort Rucker, Ala., and rose to the rank of specialist, E-5 in 18 months during the Vietnam War.
After completing my military service, I used the G.I. Bill to obtain my bachelors degree from the University of Texas at Austin, and my masters from the University of Houston at Clear Lake City.
I have written three books, one of which is on the life story of my father in law, Maj. Gen. Chester L. Johnson (who was a World War II prisoner of war of the Japanese, and who survived the Bataan March).
For me, it has been an honor serving in the military and recording the notes for future generations.
- February 22, 2019Soldiers helping Soldiers: Army Emergency Relief hosts campaign kickoff
- February 21, 2019Alabama A&M professor shares university ties to Black history
- February 20, 2019Romanian Land Forces' military police complete Afghanistan tour with ASG-A
- February 19, 2019Cobra Battery completes Table XV qualification
- February 15, 2019Out & About in Italy (Feb. 16-March 2)
- February 14, 2019Author Chris Formant to sign copies of newest book at Barr Memorial Library March 5
- February 13, 2019Soldiers Participate in 6-Mile Ruck March at the U.S. Army Air Assault School
- February 12, 2019Did you know: March is brain injury awareness month?
- February 11, 2019Materiel enterprise leaders talk synchronization, future
- February 11, 2019Greywolf completes NTC rotation
- February 8, 2019DoD Successfully Completes Yutu Relief Mission in CNMI
- February 8, 2019Five things to know about Benelux tax center services in 2019
- February 8, 2019Photo Essay: CWOC Class 19-03 students complete snowshoe training in bitter cold at Fort McCoy
- February 8, 2019Making cents: C.C. Pinckney brings math to the Commissary