By Margarita Ruiz JohnsonJune 25, 2009
I am the short young female at the early age of 19 on page 5 (March 2009 issue), in the center of the picture. I was completing my training at Fort McClellan, Ala., and waiting for orders to go to Fort Harrison, Ind. to attend the finance and accounting school.
During my tenure, I served at Fort Rucker, Ala., and rose to the rank of specialist, E-5 in 18 months during the Vietnam War.
After completing my military service, I used the G.I. Bill to obtain my bachelors degree from the University of Texas at Austin, and my masters from the University of Houston at Clear Lake City.
I have written three books, one of which is on the life story of my father in law, Maj. Gen. Chester L. Johnson (who was a World War II prisoner of war of the Japanese, and who survived the Bataan March).
For me, it has been an honor serving in the military and recording the notes for future generations.
- October 10, 2019PA Week kicks off with graduation
- October 9, 2019Fort Drum Public Works showcases strength of in-house workforce with major culvert replacement
- October 8, 2019U.S. Army Special Operations Command Department of Defense Civilians complete leadership training
- October 7, 2019Chievres MWR library launches World War II scavenger hunt
- October 7, 2019West Point cadets build important connections with Army War College international fellows
- October 5, 2019APS-5 equipment augments the 3/4 Armor Brigade Combat Team for Operation Spartan Shield
- October 3, 2019Korean War vet, stepson saluted at Monday night football game
- October 1, 2019Winning War Using Capabilities of the Sustainment Enterprise: Forward Repair Activity
- October 1, 2019U.S. Army 'mission complete' on mission command software reduction
- September 30, 2019From the Big Five to Cross Functional Teams: Integrating Sustainment into Modernization
- September 30, 2019Families, sense of duty drive personnel to maintain readiness as APS-5 in Qatar
- September 27, 2019Geronimo medics complete annual certification
- September 19, 2019U.S. & Indian armies complete Yudh Abhyas 19
- September 12, 2019Trinity Site Open House Set for Oct. 5
- September 12, 2019Boxing gloves tell war, friendship story in Mons