By Margarita Ruiz JohnsonJune 25, 2009
I am the short young female at the early age of 19 on page 5 (March 2009 issue), in the center of the picture. I was completing my training at Fort McClellan, Ala., and waiting for orders to go to Fort Harrison, Ind. to attend the finance and accounting school.
During my tenure, I served at Fort Rucker, Ala., and rose to the rank of specialist, E-5 in 18 months during the Vietnam War.
After completing my military service, I used the G.I. Bill to obtain my bachelors degree from the University of Texas at Austin, and my masters from the University of Houston at Clear Lake City.
I have written three books, one of which is on the life story of my father in law, Maj. Gen. Chester L. Johnson (who was a World War II prisoner of war of the Japanese, and who survived the Bataan March).
For me, it has been an honor serving in the military and recording the notes for future generations.
- June 19, 2018TVA, congressional tour showcases Redstone
- June 19, 2018Values link 243 years of Army history
- June 19, 2018Army World War II veterans hold emotional final reunion
- June 18, 2018'Tropic Lightning' Soldiers conduct EIB ruck march
- June 15, 2018Pioneer overcame early struggles to help advance Army Aviation
- June 11, 2018AMC's senior leader delivers the 2018 Army War College commencement speech
- June 11, 2018'The future is hanging upon your action': How American forces turned the tide in WWI
- June 10, 2018OPM-SANG Colonel competes in Bataan Memorial Death March
- June 7, 2018PS Magazine editor retiring with top awards
- June 5, 2018AMC top employees recognized for inspiring efficiency, quality
- June 1, 2018Redstone commander challenges student leaders
- May 31, 2018Army Contracting Command welcomes new commander during change of command ceremony
- May 31, 2018Rediscovering Fort Knox: Post Cemetery resting place for POWs during, after World War II
- May 30, 2018CENTENNIAL: Massive war led to massive growth, change at Fort Knox
- May 29, 2018British leader aims to build stronger relationship with Army Materiel Command
- May 24, 2018Greatest Generation member receives belated tribute