Camp Zama’s new obstacle course provides Soldiers alternate PT option
By Noriko KudoMarch 23, 2020
CAMP ZAMA, Japan (March 23, 2020) – Soldiers assigned to U.S. Army Japan’s Headquarters and Headquarters Company conducted physical training on the newly built obstacle course on Camp Zama March 20.Sgt. 1st Class Willie Williams, HHC first sergeant, who coordinated the PT, said he brought his Soldiers for an initial assessment of the new obstacle course, which is located behind Camp Zama’s Music Theater Workshop.“To my knowledge, we are the very first ones to go through the obstacle course,” said Williams.Sgt. 1st Class Rodriguez gave the group an initial walkthrough of the course in order to get everyone familiarized with its 19 obstacles. After that, the Soldiers did second and third runs at “combat speed,” Williams said.“They did awesome,” Williams said. “We had the opportunity to tap into [our inner] 5-year-old kid while still getting a workout.”Williams said the obstacle course tied together every aspect of a Soldier’s typical PT session, from cardio to strength and endurance training, and provided an ideal training effect.“We will use it as much as we can to get everyone familiar with the obstacle course,” said Williams.Spc. Benjamin Wright said the course provided good physical exercise, adding that he enjoyed it so much that he went through a second time. He praised it for being fun, while also physically demanding, and for providing a good “core” workout.“(It’s) a win-win situation, getting to work out while enjoying yourself,” said Wright.Camp Zama’s Directorate of Public Works constructed the course.
- March 20, 2020Army EOD Soldiers train with civilian counterparts at Raven’s Challenge
- March 19, 2020Women’s History Month 2020: Valiant Women of the Vote
- March 18, 2020Groundwater Restoration Goals are Achieved at Camp Edwards
- March 18, 2020U.S. Army rolls out new medical-training mannequins
- March 18, 2020Survivors find easier access to Army installations
- March 18, 2020Camp Zama housing inspectors ensure safe, clean, comfortable homes
- March 12, 2020Camp Humphreys Provost Marshal awards "Officer of the Month"
- March 12, 202025th ID crowns Best CBRN Warrior
- March 11, 2020Nine years later, Camp Zama Soldier reflects on taking part in 'Operation Tomodachi'
- March 10, 2020Competition and camaraderie: A Best Warrior partnership
- March 5, 2020Area IV Medics Make History in Support of COVID-19
- March 5, 2020Zama Middle High School JROTC hosts cadet ball
- February 27, 2020Camp Zama Library displays dolls for Japan's Girls' Day celebration
- February 25, 2020Camp Zama Self-Help Stores maintain useful inventory for housing residents