Renovated fitness trail reopened at Moon Lake
By CourtesyFebruary 11, 2020
By Pfc. Jared Simmons
19th PADAfter a brief period of renovation, the Moon Lake fitness trail has reopened to the community of Fort Riley.
Renovations on the trail were funded using money given to Fort Riley for being a bronze medal winner of the Army Communities of Excellence Award March 18, 2019.
Money from the award was required to be used in a manner consistent with the ACOE program's mission of promoting continuous improvement in Army installations and creating beneficial change in the community's quality of life.
Col. Stephen Shrader, U.S. Army Garrison Fort Riley commander, opted to use the funds on the Moon Lake trail because it supported the 1st Infantry Division's #FitFirst initiative for the Army's Holistic Health and Fitness campaign.
"It allows the housing community to connect to some other areas around Moon Lake, or just allows them to get down to Moon Lake for recreational activity," said Maj. Nathan Justin, deputy division engineer with the 1st Infantry Division. "It allows for more running space on post, which supports the commanding general's initiative for [holistic health and fitness.]"
The trail is approximately half a mile long and runs between Moon Lake and the Custer Hill housing complex. Benches and signs are still being planned as additional improvements to the trail.
Consistent with #FitFirst and the ACOE program's goal, further improvements are being planned for trails on the post.
"Governor Harvey Trail is being worked on right now by the 41st Engineer Company," Justin said. "It extends from Sustainment Drive to the Colyer Forsyth housing area."
He went on to add there are plans to potentially connect Camp Funston to Camp Whitside and more information will be released in the near future about upcoming improvements to the post's trail and exercise facilities.
- July 3, 2020Corps to Host Virtual Meeting on Youghiogheny River Lake Master Plan Revision
- June 30, 2020‘Housing remains a priority’ for leaders
- June 30, 2020Housing staff engages residents, improves with survey feedback
- June 29, 2020Camp Zama housing satisfaction improves, wins awards
- June 26, 2020‘Survey says’ — Fort Knox numbers remain high in Army-wide housing resident satisfaction report
- June 26, 2020Senior officials given insight into Fort Benning's energy, housing, barracks, other efforts
- June 23, 2020Fall 2019 Army Housing Survey results released
- June 22, 2020Army releases results of Fall 2019 housing surveys
- June 19, 2020Alaska Guard airlifts 'Into the Wild' bus from Stampede Trail
- June 18, 2020Unprecedented collaboration demonstrated at three-day Army housing summit
- June 17, 2020Army and RCI partner company leaders strengthen integration at housing summit
- June 16, 2020Baumholder Family Housing already into delayed summer housing surge