Renovated fitness trail reopened at Moon Lake
By CourtesyFebruary 11, 2020
By Pfc. Jared Simmons
19th PADAfter a brief period of renovation, the Moon Lake fitness trail has reopened to the community of Fort Riley.
Renovations on the trail were funded using money given to Fort Riley for being a bronze medal winner of the Army Communities of Excellence Award March 18, 2019.
Money from the award was required to be used in a manner consistent with the ACOE program's mission of promoting continuous improvement in Army installations and creating beneficial change in the community's quality of life.
Col. Stephen Shrader, U.S. Army Garrison Fort Riley commander, opted to use the funds on the Moon Lake trail because it supported the 1st Infantry Division's #FitFirst initiative for the Army's Holistic Health and Fitness campaign.
"It allows the housing community to connect to some other areas around Moon Lake, or just allows them to get down to Moon Lake for recreational activity," said Maj. Nathan Justin, deputy division engineer with the 1st Infantry Division. "It allows for more running space on post, which supports the commanding general's initiative for [holistic health and fitness.]"
The trail is approximately half a mile long and runs between Moon Lake and the Custer Hill housing complex. Benches and signs are still being planned as additional improvements to the trail.
Consistent with #FitFirst and the ACOE program's goal, further improvements are being planned for trails on the post.
"Governor Harvey Trail is being worked on right now by the 41st Engineer Company," Justin said. "It extends from Sustainment Drive to the Colyer Forsyth housing area."
He went on to add there are plans to potentially connect Camp Funston to Camp Whitside and more information will be released in the near future about upcoming improvements to the post's trail and exercise facilities.
- September 14, 2020An innovative solution for historic Army housing
- September 11, 2020U.S. Army STAND-TO! | Medal of Honor for Sgt. Maj. Thomas P. Payne
- June 22, 2020Army releases results of Fall 2019 housing surveys
- June 12, 2020245th Army Birthday message from the Army Senior Leaders
- February 6, 2020Army Secretary Ryan D. McCarthy, other service secretaries, meet with housing executives
- December 12, 2019Army extends housing surveys till Dec. 20
- November 6, 2019Army to launch additional housing satisfaction surveys
- October 28, 2019U.S. Army proposes innovative solution for historic housing
- October 2, 2019Army senior leaders discuss progress in reforming the Military Privatized Housing Initiative
- September 12, 2019U.S. Army releases DAIG report on privatized housing
- September 12, 2019Army releases results of 2019 housing surveys
- September 12, 2019Military leaders meet with privatized housing company executives
- September 12, 2019Army to conduct survey gauging resident satisfaction with privatized housing
- September 12, 2019Army senior leaders continue to examine homes, meet with families
- September 12, 2019Army leadership meets with privatized housing partner CEOs
- September 12, 2019Senior U.S. Army official celebrates Earth Day during kick-off for next steps of Everglades project