Renovated fitness trail reopened at Moon Lake
By CourtesyFebruary 11, 2020
By Pfc. Jared Simmons
19th PADAfter a brief period of renovation, the Moon Lake fitness trail has reopened to the community of Fort Riley.
Renovations on the trail were funded using money given to Fort Riley for being a bronze medal winner of the Army Communities of Excellence Award March 18, 2019.
Money from the award was required to be used in a manner consistent with the ACOE program's mission of promoting continuous improvement in Army installations and creating beneficial change in the community's quality of life.
Col. Stephen Shrader, U.S. Army Garrison Fort Riley commander, opted to use the funds on the Moon Lake trail because it supported the 1st Infantry Division's #FitFirst initiative for the Army's Holistic Health and Fitness campaign.
"It allows the housing community to connect to some other areas around Moon Lake, or just allows them to get down to Moon Lake for recreational activity," said Maj. Nathan Justin, deputy division engineer with the 1st Infantry Division. "It allows for more running space on post, which supports the commanding general's initiative for [holistic health and fitness.]"
The trail is approximately half a mile long and runs between Moon Lake and the Custer Hill housing complex. Benches and signs are still being planned as additional improvements to the trail.
Consistent with #FitFirst and the ACOE program's goal, further improvements are being planned for trails on the post.
"Governor Harvey Trail is being worked on right now by the 41st Engineer Company," Justin said. "It extends from Sustainment Drive to the Colyer Forsyth housing area."
He went on to add there are plans to potentially connect Camp Funston to Camp Whitside and more information will be released in the near future about upcoming improvements to the post's trail and exercise facilities.
- April 1, 2020Gold Star Families to gain improved access to Army bases
- March 31, 2020IPPS-A provides improved visibility, aiding coronavirus response
- March 31, 2020Army Civilian Continuously Improves Activity Security
- March 27, 2020Fort McCoy DPW Housing Division dedicated to customer satisfaction
- March 25, 2020Life in quarantine: A family perspective on West Point
- March 24, 2020Jackson town hall addresses on-post housing concerns
- March 24, 2020Schofield Barracks on ‘TAP’ to offer elite athlete program
- March 23, 2020Improvements in long range precision fires support Soldiers from afar
- March 19, 2020FLW Homes suspends non-emergency work orders
- March 18, 2020Camp Zama housing inspectors ensure safe, clean, comfortable homes
- March 12, 2020Trinity Site Open House Cancelled
- March 11, 2020Joseph Houston Bennett: An American Hero and Lake Whitney Legacy
- March 9, 2020DOD official says there's progress on privatized housing improvements
- March 6, 2020New military housing on the way at Monterey
- March 6, 2020Prairie Creek Bridge closure at Bona Dea Trails and Sanctuary
- March 6, 2020Single Soldier housing gets an upgrade