New tree takes root at Commanding General's Arboretum
By Nathan Wilkes, Joint Base Lewis-McChord Garrison Public AffairsJanuary 30, 2020
JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. -- A stone's throw from Liberty Gate on Joint Base Lewis-McChord, fresh soil has been turned over and a new tree has been planted in the Commander's Grove Arboretum.Lieutenant General Gary Volesky planted a blue spruce tree Jan. 27 to commemorate his time as I Corps commanding general.For 62 years, the trees planted in the Commanding General's Arboretum have honored commanding generals for their service and welcomed visitors through the main gate.
Volesky's blue spruce marks the 33rd tree to be planted in the Commanding General's Arboretum and Walking Trail just outside the Liberty Gate Visitor Control Center."It's an honor to take part in this long-standing tradition," said Volesky. "It is important to maintain the legacy of honorable service showcased here."The tradition of tree planting dates back to February 1922 when Brig. Gen. Charles Muir, Camp Lewis commander, ordered the planting of two Lawson Cypress trees near the construction of Camp Lewis' first main gate, known then as the Liberty Arch Monument Gate and located near today's DuPont Gate.Each tree stands as a monument to the leadership and memory of the installation's highest ranking military leaders as they leave the base.In 1991, an honorary, gold General's Shovel was made for the event. The names of each of the departing commanding generals have been added to the arm of the shovel on bronze plates. The previous honoree is retired Lt. Gen. Stephen Lanza, former I Corps commanding general.
Attendees of the event said they were thankful for the hard work and diligence of JBLM's Directorate of Public Works."We have an amazing team of grounds keepers who are dedicated to maintaining the beauty and dignity of JBLM," said Steven Perrenot, director of DPW. "The history lessons provided by sites like this are vital for service members stationed here as well as visitors to the base."
- July 2, 2020Walker pins on third star, becomes AMC deputy commander
- July 2, 2020The ‘crown jewel’ of the United States Army changes command
- July 1, 2020Brooke Army Medical Center welcomes new commanding general
- July 1, 2020A 4th of July message from Maj. Gen Laura A. Potter
- July 1, 2020Pavement improvement project underway
- June 30, 2020Surgeon General assumes command of Army Medical Command
- June 29, 2020Pushing the Limits
- June 26, 2020Adjutant General School welcomes new commandant
- June 26, 2020Immigrant to Army general: Michael retires
- June 26, 2020Four months in, CG leads with logic, transparency
- June 24, 2020GLWACH bids farewell to Biever, Pitney assumes command
- June 23, 2020SDDC welcomes its 22nd commanding general
- June 23, 2020CGSOC ceremonies presented online