By Joint Base Lewis-McChord Garrison Public AffairsJanuary 24, 2020
JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. -- The Joint Base Lewis-McChord Tax Center will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 9:30 a.m. Jan. 27 at 6230 Pierce Ave. on Lewis Main. The center will open for business at 9 a.m. Jan. 28.
The Tax Center will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays through April 15. The Tax Center will also be open on Army DONSA days (Day of No Scheduled Activities) and Air Force Family Days. The Tax Center will be closed Feb. 17 for Presidents Day.
"The Tax Center on JBLM will provide, subject to IRS and installation specific restrictions, free basic tax preparation services for active-duty service members, qualified reserve and guard members, retirees and their family members," said Capt. Stuart Denton, the officer in charge of the Tax Center.
Before making an appointment to use the Tax Center, customers should bring:
• Valid military ID and social security cards for themselves, spouses and dependents.
• Birth dates for themselves, spouses and dependents.
• Wage and earnings statements (also known as W-2s).
• Interest and dividend statements.
• A copy of last year's federal and state returns.
• Direct deposit information.
• Total amount paid for day care and the day care provider's identification number.
• Any other statements related to income, earnings and deductible expenses.
A detailed list on the types of returns the Tax Center can assist with are listed on the official JBLM website at the link below.
"Still, some people prefer to do their taxes from the comfort of their own home," Denton said. "Militaryonesource.com offers a free version of the H&R Block At Home online tax preparation for active service members and their families."
Call the JBLM Tax Center at 253-967-1040 to see what the best options are for you or to make an appointment.