Tri-National Live-Fire Exercise: Shining Star
By Capt. Albert JerneganJanuary 21, 2020
The 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, in conjunction with Japanese Air Self-Defense Forces and Dutch Air Defense Forces, conducted a tri-national live-fire exercise at McGregor Training Complex, Fort Bliss, Texas, Nov. 9, 2019. The purpose of Operation Shining Star was to improve interoperability while also validating Patriot surface-to-air missile systems.
Operation Shining Star was the culminating training event for 11th ADA BDE's Imperial Crucible, a Mission Rehearsal Exercise, in order to evaluate two Patriot Battalions and one Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) Battery, Oct. 15-30.
"Executing a Patriot live-fire exercise was identified as a first step into strengthening the partnership and getting to know each other's capabilities," said Maj. Peter Geurts, 11th ADA BDE's deputy operations officer and Netherlands exchange officer.
Operation Shining Star came to be after an idea was proposed by Geurts and JASDF Lt. Col. Kojiro Kaneko, former JASDF liaison officer to 32nd Army Air and Missile Defense Command. Three years later the concept came to fruition in an incredibly successful live-fire exercise led by Lt. Col. Takeshi Murakami, JASDF liaison officer to 32nd AAMDC.
Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery Regiment and Fire Unit 3, 802nd Patriot Squadron, Netherlands Ground-based Air Defense Command, participated in the exercise conducting the U.S. Patriot live-fire. JASDF soldiers executed a simultaneous live-fire exercise of their own air defense missile systems.
While the 11th ADA BDE has had a longstanding partnership with the NLD GBADC, bringing the JASDF into the fold was the next logical step in an effort to establish an ongoing multi-national partnership. The focus of the joint training and cooperation between all three countries air defense experts led to the flawless execution of the live-fire event.
For more information on the Imperial Brigade, please visit the unit Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/11thADAImperial/.
- March 27, 2020Fort Knox Exchange installs protective shields to continue serving customers safely
- March 27, 2020Message from Maj. Gen. Shapiro on COVID-19 at RIA
- March 25, 2020Life in quarantine: A family perspective on West Point
- March 25, 2020FLW holds virtual COVID-19 town hall
- March 23, 2020Wisconsin Guard medic team helps at senior living facility
- March 23, 2020JMC’s Explosives Safety Site Plans SAVE LIVES!
- March 22, 20203rd Infantry Division vs. COVID-19: addressing the facts
- March 20, 2020Weathering COVID-19: financial resilience
- March 18, 2020High energy laser engineers engage with West Point cadets
- March 16, 2020Exercise Defender-Europe 20 update
- March 11, 2020Soldiers Keep Munitions Readiness Moving at Crane Army
- March 10, 2020Software Talent Goes to School
- March 6, 2020Cobra Gold 20: The 39th iteration of Cobra Gold concludes with a combined arms-live fire exercise an
- February 27, 2020'Black Knight' Soldiers conduct CALFEX in multiple countries;Romanian and Bulgarian armed forces par