FLW tax center to open Jan. 27
By Special to GUIDONJanuary 15, 2020
The Fort Leonard Wood tax center is scheduled to be open Jan. 27 through the end of April, and offers free tax return preparation for active-duty service members, retirees and their dependent family members.
Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome during operating hours. The tax center is located at 316 Missouri Ave, Building 315.
All tax center staff are qualified to the advanced level on the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. In 2019, they filed a total of 4,159 returns resulting in a total refund amount of $4,333,356.
Customers who would like to file jointly with a spouse should know that both individuals must sign to file electronically.
While the tax center's goal is to assist as many eligible individuals as possible, there are certain types of tax returns that the tax center is not authorized to handle. Taxpayers with complex situations, such as owning rental properties, should call for advice on how to proceed.
All customers should bring:
-- Proof of eligibility for services;
-- Social Security Cards for everyone named on the tax return;
-- Birth dates for everyone named on the tax return;
-- Wage and earning statements from employers;
-- Interest and dividend statements from banks;
-- A copy of last year's federal and state returns;
-- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit;
-- Proof of health insurance;
-- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable;
-- Completed client intake form (provided by the tax center).
Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays (with an 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. lunch break) and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Saturdays of each month. For questions about documents or the scope of tax center services, call Capt. Amber Bunch at 573.596.0322 or 0629.
(Editor's note: Information for this article was submitted by the Fort Leonard Wood tax center.)
- March 28, 2020Army seeks retired medical Soldiers to support COVID-19 efforts
- March 27, 2020Redeploying units under quarantine at North Fort Hood
- March 26, 2020Hire a Soldier Magazine - Issue 3
- March 25, 2020Federal income tax deadline day extended
- March 20, 202010th Mountain Division chefs continue tradition of culinary excellence at Fort Drum
- March 12, 20202-43 ADA BN Colors Casing Ceremony
- March 12, 2020Greywolf returns home from 9-month Korean rotation
- March 12, 2020AFC General Visits Aeromedical Research Laboratory
- March 12, 2020Mitchell returns to Red River for command visit
- March 11, 2020AMCOM town hall focuses on people
- March 11, 2020Virgin Island National Guard completes Observer Coach and Trainers course
- March 11, 2020Nine years later, Camp Zama Soldier reflects on taking part in 'Operation Tomodachi'
- March 10, 2020Marshall Center Cancels Two Resident Events as COVID-19 Preventive Measure
- March 9, 202045th Joint Culinary Training Exercise kicks off at Fort Lee
- February 28, 2020U.S. Army authorizes combat patch for service in Somalia