2ID/RUCD Soldier spreads goodwill to Warriors over Holidays
By Sgt. Ian Vega-CerezoJanuary 13, 2020
CAMP HUMPHREYS, Republic of Korea - Over the winter holidays a 2nd Infantry Division/ ROK-U.S. Combined Division Soldier helped bring some holiday cheer to his fellow Warriors on the Korean Peninsula, Dec. 19, 2019 at the 2ID/RUCD Division Headquarters on Camp Humphreys.
Spc. Christopher Kisner, a multi-channel communications systems operator maintainer for 2ID/RUCD and a two-year member of the American Legion, worked with family and fellow Legion members from American Legion Post 14 in Smyrna, Delaware to pass out care packages to service members serving in the Republic of Korea.
"We're not in a hostile environment, but a lot of people here are single, don't have their family here and a lot of the young people who just got out of AIT (Advanced Individual Training) haven't really been out on their own," said Kisner. "They don't have that support structure with them. We wanted to bring them all in and show them that even though their families aren't here, there are veterans who've been in their shoes before and are thinking about them during the holidays."
Kisner wanted to make the greatest impact and decided to not only share the packages with the members of his platoon but other individuals in the division, giving away a total of 24 packages to single Soldiers.
"Kisner was very adamant about helping his battle buddies out and taking care of people," said Sgt. 1st Class Mario Ferrario, signal platoon sergeant, 2ID/RUCD. "He really puts himself to the side so that he can go out of his way to help others."
The veterans of Post 14 not only send care packages to Soldiers overseas, but also hold fund raisers to benefit their local community, dedicate missing man tables in honor of fallen service members, and host the Legacy Fund, a scholarship program for Gold Star Families.
"We do this year-round," said Kisner. "A lot of it is just helping people out, whether it's fellow Soldiers or the local community."
- July 2, 2020Buffalo medics train Soldiers on combat casualty care
- July 1, 2020Tripler celebrates 100 years of trusted care
- June 27, 2020JBLM’s unit for Soldier recovery transitions
- June 25, 2020Soldiers earn 2020 Best Warrior selection for 20th CBRNE Command
- June 23, 2020SDDC welcomes its 22nd commanding general
- June 23, 2020Protecting the protectors: Reservist on front lines helps contain COVID-19 spread
- June 22, 2020‘Game-changing’ virtual health care saves Soldier’s life
- June 19, 202032nd HC hosts change of command ceremony
- June 16, 2020Centuries of time, gallons of water help Soldiers practice Chinese martial art
- June 16, 2020Fort Drum’s Warrior Transition Unit re-designates, reflags as Soldier Recovery Unit
- June 15, 2020ASC employees at Tobyhanna Army Depot receive DOD packaging award
- June 15, 2020Warrior Transition Battalion prepares to take on new “SRU” designation
- June 12, 2020Fort Polk celebrates 2020 NCO/SOY at Warrior Center ceremony
- June 8, 2020By seeking Soldier input, Picatinny engineers design improved packaging