Army Recruiting discredits military draft texts
By USAREC Public AffairsJanuary 7, 2020
FORT KNOX, Ky. -- A number of fraudulent text messages informing individuals they have been selected for a military draft have circulated throughout the country this week.U.S. Army Recruiting Command has received multiple calls and emails about these fake text messages and wants to ensure Americans understand these texts are false and were not initiated by this command or the U.S. Army.The decision to enact a draft is not made at or by U.S. Army Recruiting Command. The Selective Service System, a separate agency outside of the Department of Defense, is the organization that manages registration for the Selective Service."The Selective Service System is conducting business as usual," according to the Selective Service System's official Facebook page. "In the event that a national emergency necessitates a draft, Congress and the President would need to pass official legislation to authorize a draft."The draft has not been in effect since 1973. The military has been an all-volunteer force since that time. Registering for the Selective Service does not enlist a person into the military.Army recruiting operations are proceeding as normal.For information about volunteering to serve in the U.S. Army, please contact a local Army recruiting office.
Media outlets with questions about Army Recruiting can contact Army Recruiting Public Affairs via email at email@example.com.
- July 7, 2020Special Electronic Mission Aircraft pilot and crew training
- July 7, 2020Lakeville resident selected for prestigious award
- July 5, 2020A virtual chapel service with Chaplain (Maj.) Charles Gilbertson
- July 2, 2020Virtual recruiting event eyes diverse talent
- July 1, 2020A 4th of July message from Maj. Gen Laura A. Potter
- July 1, 2020The MEDCoE hosts soldier forum to promote Army National Hiring Days
- June 30, 2020Lewiston resident selected for prestigious award
- June 30, 2020U.S. Army aims to hire 10,000 new Soldiers during three-day event
- June 29, 2020Army recruiters pushing more into digital world
- June 26, 2020Army Hiring Days: Wiesbaden ‘super recruiters’ match people across Europe with careers
- June 24, 2020All Army personnel, veterans asked to be recruiters next week
- June 23, 2020Independence Day Safety Message