Army Recruiting discredits military draft texts
By USAREC Public AffairsJanuary 7, 2020
FORT KNOX, Ky. -- A number of fraudulent text messages informing individuals they have been selected for a military draft have circulated throughout the country this week.U.S. Army Recruiting Command has received multiple calls and emails about these fake text messages and wants to ensure Americans understand these texts are false and were not initiated by this command or the U.S. Army.The decision to enact a draft is not made at or by U.S. Army Recruiting Command. The Selective Service System, a separate agency outside of the Department of Defense, is the organization that manages registration for the Selective Service."The Selective Service System is conducting business as usual," according to the Selective Service System's official Facebook page. "In the event that a national emergency necessitates a draft, Congress and the President would need to pass official legislation to authorize a draft."The draft has not been in effect since 1973. The military has been an all-volunteer force since that time. Registering for the Selective Service does not enlist a person into the military.Army recruiting operations are proceeding as normal.For information about volunteering to serve in the U.S. Army, please contact a local Army recruiting office.
Media outlets with questions about Army Recruiting can contact Army Recruiting Public Affairs via email at email@example.com.
- April 3, 2020Fort Drum chaplains deliver messages of faith, hope and resilience during pandemic
- April 2, 202038th Infantry Soldiers return from Operation Spartan Shield
- April 1, 2020Under Secretary of the Army Message to the Force
- March 30, 2020DoD approves Army mobile power program as joint capability demonstration
- March 27, 2020Message from Maj. Gen. Shapiro on COVID-19 at RIA
- March 26, 2020In second online forum on COVID-19, Fort Benning leaders outline further precautions
- March 26, 2020Army Observes World Water Day
- March 25, 2020Future Vertical Lift: Army selects Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft prototype performers
- March 23, 2020Army to test new tech program at select schools
- March 21, 2020Recruits may get pay before BCT, in-person recruiting halts amid COVID-19
- March 20, 2020Arcadia flood risk management project study progresses
- March 20, 2020USAREC shifts to virtual recruiting to reduce COVID-19 risk
- March 17, 2020The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America
- March 16, 2020Army offering bonuses for new infantry recruits
- March 16, 2020New Jersey's top recruiter finds inspiration in art
- March 6, 2020Army recruiter is contestant on 'The Voice'